NUD: The end of UAS

whmeltonjr

Reaction score
I was previously considering ordering an ukulele with a spruce top and koa back/sides, but then this beautiful Series 3 Kinnard Tenor popped up here and it called my name.

I've been playing it since it showed up yesterday, and it is everything I could have hoped it would be. The side sound hole is such a wonderful thing to have, and this ukulele resonates and projects beautifully. The intonation is perfect up and down the neck, and it plays great (far better than I'm capable of playing for now!). It is currently strung with Aquila's, which I'm not a fan of, so I'm open to your favorite cedar topped ukulele strings. I'm thinking about string it and my Kamaka HF-3 with the Worth CT strings I have to do a proper comparison between the two of them.

Anyway, on to the pictures!

29348144064_48ac849d64_c.jpg

29892440491_0fb8794c84_c.jpg

29892443701_30d496855b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Couple more pics with a bonus furry investigator.

29348146234_112d8c2fc5_c.jpg

29349306603_1e41ff0e4b_c.jpg

29941605606_ff09cd061a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet.............and the cat too!

Both of my cats were checking it out at the same time, but I wasn't paying attention to get a pic of them together.

Congratulations whmeltonjr, welcome to the Kinnard Family.

Thank you! Funny that you mention the Kinnard Family. I sent an email to ask a question and received a lot of great information instantly from Kevin. He has truly made me feel like a member of the Kinnard Family.

That's the cat's meeowww! ;-)

Do you want to set it up linear or re-entrant? In any event, I typically try out Southcoast Light Medium and/or Mediums as I tend to prefer lighter tension, Oasis Brights (they are thinner gauge then Warms) and I also try Aquila Reds though they are not for everyone.

I'd also check out B-flat tuning.

Congratulations. Truly a beautiful instrument. I don't think that my UAS will be dead until I acquire a Kinnard (but maybe a baritone).

That's the cat's meeowww! ;-)

Do you want to set it up linear or re-entrant? In any event, I typically try out Southcoast Light Medium and/or Mediums as I tend to prefer lighter tension, Oasis Brights (they are thinner gauge then Warms) and I also try Aquila Reds though they are not for everyone.

I'd also check out B-flat tuning.

Thanks for the recommendations, Eddie. In my excitement I forgot to mention that I will be setting it up re-entrant. I was looking at the Southcoast options earlier. I'll have to do some more digging on their site.

Congratulations. Truly a beautiful instrument. I don't think that my UAS will be dead until I acquire a Kinnard (but maybe a baritone).

Thanks, Hollis! With all of the ukuleles I've seen you post I'm surprised you haven't owned one yet.

Thanks, Hollis! With all of the ukuleles I've seen you post I'm surprised you haven't owned one yet.

With the Beau Hannam Players that is in construction, I'll have 3 tenors, enough I think, but I could be wrong. "My wife's" Collings concert is as small as I can comfortably play and my new Hoffmann Bari is occupying all my time lately. This tells me that my next instrument should be another baritone, just for balance mind you. And come to think about it, Allen McFarlen (Barron River) makes a damn fine baritone also but a Kinnard Bari would be a joy to own.

UAS? No, not me!

Last edited:
Loved the one with the kitty! Awesome ukulele, too. Great catch, that one. :)

Great job on grabbing that one quickly, it is really special. I would try South Coast, Worth CT, Oasis warm or bright, any one of those should work great. I recently bought a used Kinnard mahogany baritone and my communication with Kevin was as excellent as yours, a real gentleman.

NUD, for me, has only been a temporary end of UAS. So many different wood combos and builders to explore.

Last edited:
So you wanted a Cedar/Koa Uke but bought a Cedar/Walnut Uke ?

I doubt that this is the end of your UAS :)

Congrats to that Uke. I don't like the flat headstock design but the rest looks great :drool:

Beautiful. Enjoy.

Thanks!

With the Beau Hannam Players that is in construction, I'll have 3 tenors, enough I think, but I could be wrong. "My wife's" Collings concert is as small as I can comfortably play and my new Hoffmann Bari is occupying all my time lately. This tells me that my next instrument should be another baritone, just for balance mind you. And come to think about it, Allen McFarlen (Barron River) makes a damn fine baritone also but a Kinnard Bari would be a joy to own.

UAS? No, not me!

I would love to own a Beau Hannam. They're beautiful. I'll be living vicariously through your build for sure!

Loved the one with the kitty! Awesome ukulele, too. Great catch, that one. :)

Thanks!

Great job on grabbing that one quickly, it is really special. I would try South Coast, Worth CT, Oasis warm or bright, any one of those should work great. I recently bought a used Kinnard mahogany baritone and my communication with Kevin was as excellent as yours, a real gentleman.

NUD, for me, has only been a temporary end of UAS. So many different wood combos and builders to explore.

Appreciate the string recommendations. I saw your bartione you snagged. I hope you are enjoying it.

So you wanted a Cedar/Koa Uke but bought a Cedar/Walnut Uke ?

I doubt that this is the end of your UAS :)

Congrats to that Uke. I don't like the flat headstock design but the rest looks great :drool:

Thanks. I won't be able to justify anymore ukulele purchases with the wife for quite a while, so at the very least this will put a long pause on my UAS.

You might also consider trying Living Water strings. They sound great on a Kinnard.

You might also consider trying Living Water strings. They sound great on a Kinnard.

I'll add that to the list! If this thing sounds good with Aquila strings, I can't imagine anything really not sounding good on it.

I found Kinnard on vimeo, where I was awestruck by the amazing tone of his sopranos. If the tenor is anything like them, you have a real winner there. I love John's design, to me that headstock looks great, and darn hard to execute so flawlessly. Round edges are more forgiving when building ;).

That is a beauty. Congrats, whmeltonjr.

Thanks!

I found Kinnard on vimeo, where I was awestruck by the amazing tone of his sopranos. If the tenor is anything like them, you have a real winner there. I love John's design, to me that headstock looks great, and darn hard to execute so flawlessly. Round edges are more forgiving when building ;).

I love the headstock. I had been looking at ukuleles with slotted headstocks, and this one is one of my favorite designs for sure.

Congrats. I am absolutely mesmerized by the Kinnards! There is a video on vimeo of a redwood/walnut soprano that literally brings tears to my eyes. I'm sure your new acquisition will bring you many many hours of pure bliss!

Top Bottom