Pono finishes

Ukemakinmecrazy

Reaction score
Does anyone know what finish material they use? I wouldn't think it is nitro cellulose lacquer, but I could be wrong. is it polyurethane? I am asking so I will know how best to address a scrape at the bottom of my Uke. UGHHHH!

contact John Kitakis at Pono I am sure he will help you out

at that price point I would be almost certain its poly.

EDIT: that would be for gloss. If its Satin, it can be an oil or sorts I would imagine.

Nitro would be too labor intensive as well as shellac/french polish. The higher end koolaus according to the website our nitro.

If it is Poly, I suggest "Wipe on Poly". You can buy it at Home Depot or any hardware store in small cans. I use it for everything, including two Ukes I refinished. It comes in gloss or satin finish. I use a piece of old sweat shirt, the outside, not the fuzzy side to wipe it on and let it dry. Very Thin coats as it drys fast (~2 hours). 2-3 coats should cover most finishes. Prepare with 0000 steel wool, no need to sand if it is a shallow scratch. Put the sweat shirt piece in a plastic baggy while you let the coats dry and reuse it for coat 2-3 etc. Wear rubber/nytril gloves and have fun.

Does anyone know what finish material they use? I wouldn't think it is nitro cellulose lacquer, but I could be wrong. is it polyurethane? I am asking so I will know how best to address a scrape at the bottom of my Uke. UGHHHH!

Can you take a photo of the scrape?
Is it a gloss or satin finish? Better yet, just give me the type of Pono and I can figure it out.
If the scrape isn't too pronounced you might be able to use Miracle Cloth. I used it for a small scratch on my KoAloha and the scratch disappeared.
But I would need to see what has happened first, so submit a photo please.

According to the F.A.Q. section on the Pono Guitar website, they use Polyurethane:

Q: What type of finish do you use? - A: Urethane. We could use Nitrocellulose, and we know that most people have the perception, usually from what they have been told, that Nitrocellulose [is] a "better" finish. But we prefer Polyurethane. This may seem odd, but there is a reason. We do like Nitrocellulose lacquer, but urethane is durable. It does not dent as easy as nitrocellulose, and is not as easily affected by contact with liquids. [...]

Can you take a photo of the scrape?
Is it a gloss or satin finish? Better yet, just give me the type of Pono and I can figure it out.
If the scrape isn't too pronounced you might be able to use Miracle Cloth. I used it for a small scratch on my KoAloha and the scratch disappeared.
But I would need to see what has happened first, so submit a photo please.

Thank you johnson430, I've finally got up enough nerve, and purchased a Miracle Cloth. I had a minor scratch on my Koaloha tenor, the Miracle cloth as advertised performed a miracle. The scratch had been completely removed. The cloth left the area a little dull, I buffed it with a clean white cloth and it buffed up beautifully. Great advice. Thanx again. JJFN

Top Bottom