transporting Music Stands

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
OK, a lot of you use backpacks to carry your ukulele incidentals,
along with man bags and probably shopping bags, tennis bags, Trader Joe bags, etc.

What do you do with your music stands? Or don't you use them anymore?

From the very flimsy, lightly-built ones to the 'Hummer'-designed, heavy-weight stands,
what do you use and how do you transport them?

I can fit my folding stand into my backpack, although it does add a bit of weight to it.
I generally want to have a heavier-duty model, especially for any outdoor gigs.

What about you? Do you travel with a music/tablet stand?

I have a lightweight aluminium one and my wife made a bag for it. It fits in a back pack or a man bag and is easy to carry. I rarely take it with my ukulele, though because I mostly don't need it but it's essential for recorder events which are classical music in style.

Yes, I often times bring along one of those flimsy stands that the wind blows over all the time. How I bring it along, and when I bring it along, depends on my mode of transportation.

I use a table top music stand, when we're playing at a table. I like it, so I bought each member of our ensemble one too! I carry a big heavy floor stand to our jam session so that it won't tip over when I place both of Jim Beloff's books on it.

I rarely use a stand, though I have lightweight one that a kid used for band, and a professional one I use when I teach off campus as I rarely have a lectern available to me. I made a bag from a leg off of a pair of jeans for the lightweight stand, and the professional one came with a carry case.

But, since I play sitting down, a lap tray on the ground works for me. I can toss it in the car. Mine came from a thrift store.

I also like using one of my camp tables as it folds up very small and even has a cup holder. It has a carry strap on the storage sleeve. I can put my music on top and my ukulele gear on the shelves.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Folding-End-Table/39511137

Attachments

• tray.jpg
    tray.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I bought a double gig bag just to be able to carry my uke, a 13.3' tablet, accessories and a stand. This photo is old, I actually carry a larger tablet in the second compartment and rarely include the mini amp.

Uke bag 72.jpg

From the very flimsy, lightly-built ones to the 'Hummer'-designed, heavy-weight stands,
what do you use and how do you transport them?

It's not the stand so much that's the problem for me, it's the music. I have a heavy duty stand with a bag that has a shoulder strap that is pretty easy to haul around, and fortunately there are already stands where I usually go to play, so much of the time I don't even need to bring the stand. But add to that the two ukuleles (low/hi G), each in cases which weigh more than the ukes themselves, and two overstuffed three-ring binders of music and - it's a back injury waiting to happen.

IMO the flimsy stands are a waste of money, they always break under the weight of my binders. I was going through about three of them a year until I finally sprang for a heavier, higher quality stand, which I've had going on 4 years now with no problems.

Top Bottom