How to play 5X57

OhioBelle

Reaction score
Or similar fingering with an X in the middle of the strings?

I know an X in a chord chart means "don't play this string," so I am guessing it means the same thing here. I am trying to figure out how to not play string 3 in this example. Pluck the 4th, skip over the 3rd, then continue through 2 and 1?

I just got the book "Christmas Ukulele Solos: 20 Holiday Favorites Arranged in Chord-Melody Style for Tenor Ukulele in Standard Notation and Tablature." I want to be able to play at least one song by Christmas, so no time like the present to start. I'm starting with Merry Christmas, Darling, and plan to attack one measure at a time. But wouldn't you know the first measure has me stumped???

THANKS for any and all advice!

You'll need to avoid hitting the X, or mute that string. There are several ways to do this.

You could bar the 5th fret and pluck all but the C string. Or if strumming, you could use an index finger on G string 5th fret and resting on the C string enough to mute it. Middle finger on E string, etc. Or you could bar the 5th fret and find a spare finger to rest on lightly on the C string to mute it. Or you can bar the 5th, but lift the middle of your bar finger just enough to mute the C string while letting the G and E strings ring.

You could myte the G with the same finger you use on C
It takes a bit of practice

Example : index finger on C, and gently resting on G to mute it
Middle finger on E, and pinky or ringfinger on A
Tried it out, found that to be the easiest way and strum the Chord in question
Otherwise I spent to much time thinking of avoiding that 3rd string

See if this works. Barr the 5th fret with index finger, lightly touch the C string with your middle finger to mute that note. Then use your ring finger on E string 7th fret to finish the chord shape. I also thought the same as Dan did.......form the chord and pluck the G, E, and A strings only.

Thank you all so much! Your answers have taught me a very important lesson in a short amount of time - to look for alternatives. To have the freedom to search for different ways to make the fingering work. I have Dan Hill's books coming, and have joined the Ukulele Way site, but haven't had much exposure to the chord melody technique. Most of my experience over the last year and a half has been strumming in the first position to the Jumpin Jim books. While that's a blast, and something I will always want to do - my ultimate goal is chord-melody and fingerstyle.

For this particular song, I like the plucking three strings at once vs. a barre chord and mute. The measure continues with 7X79, so I can quickly move those three fingers up two frets in the same shape. My barres don't sound so great the higher up the neck I go! And I like the sound of the simultaneous plucking of those two chords, vs. a strum.

This is such cool stuff! I am excited. Thanks again!

The thing I love about the ukulele is that it's about fun, smiles and joy.
The freedom to try and fail is there all the way, from beginner to Expert.

I hope you'll have tons of fun

Top Bottom