FS Aaron Oya Custom Spruce/Koa Tenor MGM Thinbody #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
For sale is a beautiful custom tenor from Aaron Oya with a sitka spruce top and Hawaiian koa for the body, bindings, rosette, and faceplate. It also includes the Ko'olau slimline arched top hard case which fits it perfectly. As most of you know, Aaron is a custom builder on Oahu, building only about a dozen ukes a year. His ukes are hard to come by. This style tenor is an "MGM Thinbody" because the late and great Michael Aratani (aka Music Guy Mike) had Aaron make his first tenor with a shallower body depth. This is the third one Aaron has made. Body depth is 2.0” at bottom of lower bout. This tenor has big warm tone even with a thin body style. This uke has exceptional sound, playability, very comfy, really easy to play with low action and outstanding fretwork.

This uke is in like-new condition, no issues. I am the original owner, purchased December 2015 from HMS. Tough to let this one go, but have to make some room.

SPECS
  • Spruce top
  • Koa Back and sides, headplate
  • Koa body binding with BWB purfling all over, boxed at endgraph (beautiful)
  • Koa bound rosewood? fretboard with BWB purfling
  • Ebony bridge
  • Koa rosette with BWB purfling
  • Hipshot deluxe gold tuning keys
  • Cardinal nitrocellulose lacquer gloss Finish
  • Carbon fiber runs through neck and bridge brace
  • Compensated saddle
  • Nut inset into fretboard
  • 14 frets to the body
  • Aranjuez wound low g
  • includes spare set D'addario T2 strings (C, E & A) & D'addario wound g.
This comes with a deluxe wooden Ko'olau arched top, hardshell, slimline case with perfect fit for thinbody.

Updated: Now Asking $1400 + shipping for this awesome and rare custom tenor.

SOLD !

Here is my recent sound sample:
https://app.box.com/s/ek9m9rzaau3nvty6a2pu56zkfsowajh9

I’ll also refer you to the sound sample Corey made:

P1070582_zpshssljmwk.jpg

P1070581_zps4v9z8uo9.jpg

P1070579_zpskn2r38og.jpg

P1070578_zpshnloejcu.jpg

Last edited:
That's a stunner Hodge. MGM had some terrific ideas in addition to being a great guy. This ukulele is a good example. A unique and great sounding instrument. Someone will be very happy.

Someone will be very lucky to snatch this! I recently bought another tenor from Hodge and could not be happier with the instrument or with the transaction. Buy with confidence!

That's a stunner Hodge. MGM had some terrific ideas in addition to being a great guy. This ukulele is a good example. A unique and great sounding instrument. Someone will be very happy.

Someone will be very lucky to snatch this! I recently bought another tenor from Hodge and could not be happier with the instrument or with the transaction. Buy with confidence!

Such a beautiful uke. And a wonderful sound. Good luck, Hodge.

Thanks guys. This build from Aaron with design insipration from MGM is a very special tenor with a large and warm sound.

I remember MGM telling me about his when I called and bought what he called a limited prototype kala thin body cedar top tenor with the factory pickup. Most were all spruce top ones. He said he liked the cedar ones unless i wanted to spend lots more for this custom one.
I never saw what he was referring to and now see what a great looking uke it is.

Good luck with the sale of this fine custom thin body.

A beautiful custom uke that deserves a new home. Good Luck with the sale, Doc!

surprised that nobody is jumping on this--a very attractive price for an extremely rare ukulele by a very highly regarded builder. it's a chance to buy a custom uke for the price of an off the shelf instrument. if i had the funds i would definitely consider it

surprised that nobody is jumping on this--a very attractive price for an extremely rare ukulele by a very highly regarded builder. it's a chance to buy a custom uke for the price of an off the shelf instrument. if i had the funds i would definitely consider it

Yeah, me too, exactly. I have a moratorium on uke (or guitar) purchases from my band mate (my wife and bass player). She is interested in another u-bass so maybe I can convince her. But not likely.

I had the good fortune of visiting Hodge a couple of months ago and got to play some of his wonderful ukuleles, and this was one of them. It has a very beautiful tone and is very easy to play. Plus, he is selling it at a great price. An awesome deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom