PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Represent!!! PART DEUX

NukeDOC
03-12-2008, 11:04 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/SDREPUKEJAM_2.gif
San Diego Represent!!!
Part Deux

San Diego Ukulele Players' Jam Session

In conjunction with Ukulele Underground Dot Com

"The first one was a BLAST. My friends are still talking about it! So it's only natural that we do it again!"

Who:
Anyone that's interested in attending. No haters though. If you play another instrument that you think would go well with the 20 other ukes going on, feel free to bring it (ie: cajon, dembe, guitar, acoustic bass, tambourine, etc). Players of all ages and skill levels are welcome. Novices come to learn. Experts come to share knowledge. Everyone comes to JAM!
When:
May 23rd, 2008 at 6:00pm.
If you run on Filipino Time then its 5:00pm for you!
Where:
Bonfire Pit by Paradise Resort in Mission Bay.

directions from the I-5:

take I-8 WEST toward "beaches"
exit West Mission Bay Dr toward "sports arena"
RIGHT on West Mission Bay Dr
CONTINUE on to Ingraham St
LEFT on Vacation Road
soon as you turn in make FIRST LEFT
you will come to a fork. you can find parking on either side of the Lagoon.
the bonfire pit we are targetting is the one that looks like a concrete set of bleachers.

here are some pics of the area:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/Picture1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/Picture2.jpg

For practice, watch these. They have a funny way of showing up whenever we jam:

progression 1 (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/?action=view&current=acbe7.flv)

progression 2 (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/?action=view&current=amgmdm.flv)

What To Bring:
1. YOUR UKULELE
2. A synthetic fire log for the bonfire. Like this:
http://www.builderdepot.com/HTHACKNEYCO_20/prodimg/1740500.JPG.
You can get them at Walmart or any grocery store for about $3. They burn for up to 4 hours. With enough of these we can have a roaring fire that will last all night long and still have some left over. PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY WOODEN PALETTES. It is illegal and the local police will order us to put the fire out if we are caught with them.

dafamcallsmebj
03-12-2008, 02:20 PM
soooo i just posted my vote and im lovin how davoomac sed he couldnt make it to either one....
its alright bro....
maybe you could organize a jam session over there or sumthin!!!
or maybe you could fly out for the night, jam with us and then dip!!!
ill pick u up and take u to da airport!!!
hahahaah

UKESTAR
03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Did you say Carne Asada??:eek: :eek:

NukeDOC
03-12-2008, 03:13 PM
i just realized that since i set it up to where the poll is not private, i could use that as an initial rsvp to make sure i know who to contact. for now i will keep this going through Private Messaging. and dont worry, im not going to get annoying with it. hahaha.

Ian Boys
03-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Haha... my family and I are in San Diego from the... 17th to 22nd.

I curse my luck...

Of course, I doubt they'd let me go anyhow, if it was on one of those days...

(and besides... I probably wouldn't want to even if I could... being a minor and all)

soliman
03-12-2008, 03:40 PM
whooaa! as of today I am avail for both days. Both look good. Cant wait.

deadeye
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
guys

i live in the UK, but im going over to the west coast for 2months to do some travelling in april, may and june..

im totally gunna come to this!

clevacheva
03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
ill definitely try to make it loved the first one!!!

NotoriousMOK
03-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Sign me up for either (voted) and I'll drive down . . . . uhm, WHERE exactly did I just commit to driving??? I'm coming from OC (Lake Forest/Mission Viejo) to hang with you turkeys ;). Crap, just realized that's a friday too -- so please recommend how much time I should factor in with traffic :rolleyes:.

I've a bit of seat time organizing regular drum circles and the like so if I may make a couple suggestions;

1. Establish the regular schedule now -- no sense going thru this process every time. The 3rd friday of the month is as good as any (16th in this case). No matter what you do, some people will make it and some wont. You'll go nuts trying to align EVERYBODY EVERY TIME. I was giggling about a thread where the guys in Long Beach area (YOU know who you are!) have been trying to settle on the FIRST event for nearly three months now -- just do it -- lets go play!

2. I suggest setting the 'official' time at 6pm but expect that things wont really be rolling full swing until 7pm (allowing people to get home from work, change, kick the dog, whatever).

3. Make the food an optional thing -- only because we're looking at a Friday thing here, most people simply aren't prepared to deal with that after the workday etc. Weekends are better for a campfire/potluck type thing.

4. Bring extra instruments (any kine) IF you're willing and able. For drum circles I bring 4-6 drums and they NEVER go unpounded. I attach glow sticks to my drums so I can keep track of them. When you gather for music people are naturally attracted, and it's a perfect time to grow the Ukummunity (wow, did I just make a freakin' word there???). Put an ukulele in a spectator's hand, hit 'em with 2 or 3 chords and that's probably all it will take (the first needle is free).

5. Bring extra chord sheets -- you're printing one? Cool, no effort to bring 2 extra for the guy who's never got his act together (again, YOU know who you are! :D).

6. Props to you Doc for pushing people to action on this -- but you don't have to do it alone -- lets all work out a regular day/time and the rest WILL fall in to place.

Oh, one last thing, May sounds great thats for sure, but what the hell is wrong with April??? I thought you guys were SERIOUS (jeez!):p.

Have fun! Let's play!

p.s. Should I bring drums/shakers/stuff-that-makes-noise as well?

NukeDOC
03-12-2008, 08:40 PM
great suggestions, mok! i totally agree with the monthly thing. its just that right now, with it basically only me putting the thing together, i still need to give myself time in between my obligations to my job, kids, and my own band (and we know we need work haha).

6pm it is. it'll allow for "filipino time" hahaha

extra ukes are always there. but just to put it out there, if you have some that youre willing to bring along, feel free to! last time we even had some guitars and percussions.

the other stuff will be discussed at the actual jam. nothing formal. just ideas i wanna put out there first. only thing i dont want to happen is for these to become stagnant. there is so much potential for growth. but before i say too much... hahaha.

NukeDOC
03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
one more thing... mok has already done it, but if its not too much hassle for you, and if you are willing, please PM me your contact info ie phone number. dont worry, im not gonna call you at 6pm while youre having dinner with the family asking you to switch over to at&t. haha.

just a request. it would make things easier for me. most likely i wont reply. but ill get the info and store it.

dafamcallsmebj
03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
tight big john!!!
u coming out????
hit me up n shee!!

btw this is bert

tribal_theory1
03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
i said i'd be able to go either day, unless somethin urgent comes up.

NotoriousMOK
03-16-2008, 07:51 AM
what could be more important?

mcarreon89
03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
:sounds like a great time. i can bring percussion and extra ukes. and a couple more players.

maybe next one we can have a mic/speaker system????? just throwin it out there.

ill try to bring a tray of lumpias :D

and NUKE if you need help with anything i would be more than happy to help i can see how thiss could get overwhelming by yourself.

ps. if these start blowing up...i would be more than happy to host a jam at my house. could set up a cute little bonfire. there is enough space for like 30x the first jam. and it would be free.... so let me know... cant waait for part deuxxxxxxx

dafamcallsmebj
03-16-2008, 09:00 PM
:sounds like a great time. i can bring percussion and extra ukes. and a couple more players.

and NUKE if you need help with anything i would be more than happy to help i can see how thiss could get overwhelming by yourself.

ps. if these start blowing up...i would be more than happy to host a jam at my house. could set up a cute little bonfire. there is enough space for like 30x the first jam. and it would be free.... so let me know... cant waait for part deuxxxxxxx

thats real cool of you man!!

ChamorroDT
03-17-2008, 07:38 PM
is there an age limit to these sessions...haha, I'm 17, so I'm just wondering

NukeDOC
03-17-2008, 11:13 PM
is there an age limit to these sessions...haha, I'm 17, so I'm just wondering
no there isnt. all are welcome.

tribal_theory1
03-18-2008, 09:35 AM

having a sound system would be awesome, unfortunately i think we'd need some kind of permit for amplification.

ibcruzn
03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I got my cruise in may. from the 3rd - 23rd. bummer. i might not make it again.

BUGOY
03-18-2008, 11:55 AM
awwe boo! actually i wish i could go on that cruise too! haha!

btw. I picked up a tripod, So i'll bring my camcorder this time to capture all the awesome jamming. more pictures too!

mcarreon89
03-18-2008, 02:28 PM
having a sound system would be awesome, unfortunately i think we'd need some kind of permit for amplification.

that IS unfortunate...what if the neibors are chill haha

UKESTAR
03-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Nuke,

Give me a holler if you need any assistance getting part deux off the ground. No need for you to do all of the work by yourself. Looking forward to the next jam.....SD represent!!

soliman
03-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Me to Nuke, I wanna help. let me know fi there is anything I can do.

Pete

NukeDOC
03-26-2008, 08:33 AM
ok so recently i have found myself incredibly busy. too busy. so i am formally taking up your offers to help out with this jam session.

basically these are the things i need for now...

venue: there is a place next to the paradise resort. right across the street from ski beach. they have bon fire pits along that part of the bay. one of the pits actually has a concrete bleachers around it. it would be awesome to secure that spot. but i havent been there in at least 5 years. i need to know if its still currently up. and how it is in terms of proximity to amenities and the like. also, i should be able to get there early, but the earlier the better. its gonna be almost summer. and the bay is going to be teeming with people during that time. so if anyone can make it out there earlier than me, that would be great.

food: does someone have a bbq that they would be willing to show up on time with to get some eats for everyone? i know i was pretty hungry by the time i got home from the last one. but that was because i had so much fun that i forgot about food.

also, help me out with the constant reminders:
* dont forget your uke
* bring a firelog (no palettes!) about $3 at walmart. they burn for 3 hours. if everyone brings one, we can have a roaring fire going on for the whole night.
* adult beverages are not allowed in the bay anymore. so please be responsible about that. 5.0 is on the prowl and im a magnet for harassment for some reason hahaha. keep it on a DL nah'mean?

we're going to stick with the may 23rd date. since that is the majority vote (yeah 1 i know hahaha). ill throw up some other details as needed and ill update the first post in this thread with them too.

thanks guys. post up here and let me know what you guys can do to help out. just so we dont have 15 people show up with a bbq hahaha.

UKESTAR
03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
ok so recently i have found myself incredibly busy. too busy. so i am formally taking up your offers to help out with this jam session.

basically these are the things i need for now...

venue: there is a place next to the paradise resort. right across the street from ski beach. they have bon fire pits along that part of the bay. one of the pits actually has a concrete bleachers around it. it would be awesome to secure that spot. but i havent been there in at least 5 years. i need to know if its still currently up. and how it is in terms of proximity to amenities and the like. also, i should be able to get there early, but the earlier the better. its gonna be almost summer. and the bay is going to be teeming with people during that time. so if anyone can make it out there earlier than me, that would be great.

food: does someone have a bbq that they would be willing to show up on time with to get some eats for everyone? i know i was pretty hungry by the time i got home from the last one. but that was because i had so much fun that i forgot about food.

also, help me out with the constant reminders:
* dont forget your uke
* bring a firelog (no palettes!) about $3 at walmart. they burn for 3 hours. if everyone brings one, we can have a roaring fire going on for the whole night.
* adult beverages are not allowed in the bay anymore. so please be responsible about that. 5.0 is on the prowl and im a magnet for harassment for some reason hahaha. keep it on a DL nah'mean?

we're going to stick with the may 23rd date. since that is the majority vote (yeah 1 i know hahaha). ill throw up some other details as needed and ill update the first post in this thread with them too.

thanks guys. post up here and let me know what you guys can do to help out. just so we dont have 15 people show up with a bbq hahaha.

Sounds like a cool spot for the jam.. Not sure of any way to secure that spot in advance... I think just showing up super early like last time is the only way. I would do it, but work till abt. 4pm M-F. I think the 23rd is a Friday. Anyways..the earliest I could get there is arnd. 5pm which is most likely too late to secure the spot. I could show up arnd 5pm and relieve you of your watch for a couple of hours and you can return arnd 7 pm when everyone else gets there if that would help...?? That way you at least get a little break?

For food: Are we going to bring our own food to BBQ individually? I would be willing to pick up carne asada for the group if I get a little reimbursement for it. The only prob. is....you know how these things can be... I go get food for 25 people who swear they will be there and only 15 show up..haha. Still...will be willing to pick up the grinds if we can get a somewhat committed number of people willing to pitch in for it.

What do you all think?

NukeDOC
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Sounds like a cool spot for the jam.. Not sure of any way to secure that spot in advance... I think just showing up super early like last time is the only way. I would do it, but work till abt. 4pm M-F. I think the 23rd is a Friday. Anyways..the earliest I could get there is arnd. 5pm which is most likely too late to secure the spot. I could show up arnd 5pm and relieve you of your watch for a couple of hours and you can return arnd 7 pm when everyone else gets there if that would help...?? That way you at least get a little break?

For food: Are we going to bring our own food to BBQ individually? I would be willing to pick up carne asada for the group if I get a little reimbursement for it. The only prob. is....you know how these things can be... I go get food for 25 people who swear they will be there and only 15 show up..haha. Still...will be willing to pick up the grinds if we can get a somewhat committed number of people willing to pitch in for it.

What do you all think?

yeah i should be able to get there earlier than that to try to secure the spot. that would actually be a big help if you were to come relieve me at 5 so i could take a little break. if anything we can always fall back on one of the other bonfire pits in the area. its just that particular one is the most popular because of its construction.

as far as food goes... im still working out the details about that. so we'll just put that thought aside for now.

NukeDOC
03-26-2008, 09:43 AM
btw, everyone check out the first post in this thread for updates on the event!

UKESTAR
03-26-2008, 11:03 AM
awwe boo! actually i wish i could go on that cruise too! haha!

btw. I picked up a tripod, So i'll bring my camcorder this time to capture all the awesome jamming. more pictures too!

BUGOY king..

What is "Almost Islanders"?? I keep seeing that on you and Nuke's posts. I am diggin' the koa one fo' sho':eek:

BUGOY
03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
HAHA!, its our Band's New name.

NotoriousMOK
03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
good stuff here nuke, i thought the first post looked dif'rnt - but I'm a little slow like dat

NukeDOC
03-26-2008, 12:27 PM
ok here's the first installment of chord progressions. whenever i get the urge and the time ill post more up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/th_acbe7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/?action=view&current=acbe7.flv)

BUGOY
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
u posted B#M7 instead of Bm7...just lettin u know.

UKESTAR
03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
No idea how to do this...maybe too much, but it would be so cool to get a huge jam session going with something like this....or at least similar in the sense that each person learns a section of whatever song we choose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjcBQ02g25M&feature=related

NukeDOC
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
u posted B#M7 instead of Bm7...just lettin u know.
awe crap. thanks haha. ill fix it.

JoeyJr858
03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I voted for 2 days but actually realized I got a HUGE-freakin' test on the 24th... but count me in for the week before!
:D

shortgirl28
03-31-2008, 10:31 PM
May 23 I have a wedding to go to on the 24 so I hope I can make it to this one...missed out on the first one, looking at the photos I missed out :(
MARKED ON MY CALENDAR---MAY23!!!:D

NukeDOC
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
ok so here's another chord progression. this is one that we were jammin to on the side and just goin off. its not a typical chord progression, so that made it real fun to play. check it out.

i said that this chord progession was in key of F. im not totally sure on that, so if you know your stuff, please correct me if im wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/th_amgmdm.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/?action=view&current=amgmdm.flv)

mcarreon89
04-07-2008, 08:56 AM
dogs welcome? he weighs about zero pounds. just curious. he loves the music and the beach like we all do.

UKESTAR
04-07-2008, 11:05 AM
dogs welcome? he weighs about zero pounds. just curious. he loves the music and the beach like we all do.

Yeh, but can he play a uke?

NukeDOC
04-07-2008, 11:17 AM
i would say to just keep him on a leash and make sure you have a way to clean up after him.

ocinsomniac
04-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Crap! I wish I could be there! May 23 is my wedding anniversary. I'm new to the ukulele and want to learn more. I'm up in Orange County (near Anaheim) so weekends work better for me...but I'll keep an eye out for the third installment this summer.

Johnny Elsewhere
04-14-2008, 06:31 PM
I'll be coming 'round from Palm Springs, CA. =D Anyone else near me in the remote area?

Looking forward to this meet!

NotoriousMOK
04-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Crap! I wish I could be there! May 23 is my wedding anniversary. I'm new to the ukulele and want to learn more. I'm up in Orange County (near Anaheim) so weekends work better for me...but I'll keep an eye out for the third installment this summer.

Gotta respect the anniversary here, if you play nice, maybe she'll let you get another uke :D

NukeDOC
04-16-2008, 09:03 PM
give it up for ukestar for this awesome digital flyer...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/SDREPUKEJAM_2.gif

NotoriousMOK
04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
saweeet! Great job UkeStar!! Thanks!

:D

AnthonyUkulele
04-17-2008, 04:34 PM
dude imma post it up everywhere hahaha...damm im forsyre going to this one no doubt...

clevacheva
04-18-2008, 10:44 AM
yeah man you flaked out on the first one^ ahah jkjk
i know you had otherstuff goin on.
may 23 it is.. i hopei can go..
the first one was BOMB

tribal_theory1
04-21-2008, 11:21 AM
give it up for ukestar for this awesome digital flyer...

MYSPACE IT!

NukeDOC
04-21-2008, 11:33 AM
MYSPACE IT!
hahaha it is. well the flyer is on the almost islanders page.

YuKoLayLay
04-28-2008, 06:32 AM
dude imma post it up everywhere hahaha...damm im forsyre going to this one no doubt...

Haha, Since i got my ukulele me you and tyler should go together....

Frick i hope jsut b/c you guys are grounded that it doesnt mean you cant come XP

haha all three of us ditched school on friday and now we gots 2 friday detentions.... sucks like a motha....

NukeDOC
04-28-2008, 11:11 AM
ok the time is coming. its only a few weeks away. and it looks like we're going to have a decent turnout again!

ive finally had a chance to map this out. but its going to be confusing if you dont know the area well.

directions from the I-5:

LEFT on Vacation Road
the bonfire pit we are targetting is the one that looks like a concrete set of bleachers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/Picture3.jpg

NotoriousMOK
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks nuke for clearing this up -- have fun!

NukeDOC
04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
im going to need some help from anyone that plans to show up. if you are in the area, please drop by and scope the place out. we need to make sure that the fire pits are still there. i can see the bleacher structure, but i cant make out if the pits are actually there or not.

UKESTAR
04-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Wow....I have been to that lagoon so many times to watch the RC boats race. Never knew that stadium seating thing was there. I should be able to scope it out in the next week or so if nobody else beats me to it:)

AngeLoLo
04-29-2008, 09:36 PM
is that a dirt road i have to drife through? if so i think my car is way way to low for all that unless its a smoothe road..either way ill be there for sure!!
ill have an extra uke in my car as wel jus in case.

NukeDOC
04-29-2008, 10:04 PM
there are no dirt roads. you will need to park in the parking lot and then walk to the firepit.

AnthonyUkulele
04-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Haha, Since i got my ukulele me you and tyler should go together....

Frick i hope jsut b/c you guys are grounded that it doesnt mean you cant come XP

haha all three of us ditched school on friday and now we gots 2 friday detentions.... sucks like a motha....

haha ill prolly still be able to go...i hope i get my new ukulele by then...ohh i hope you get a better one that works hahaha that suck yesterday your ukulele just fell apart

NukeDOC
04-30-2008, 10:25 AM
another reminder to do some homework hehehe. here are a couple of chord progressions that we will probably be running through... have some fun with them.

progression 1 (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/?action=view&current=acbe7.flv)

progression 2 (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v176/pEsCaDoR/ukuleleunderground/?action=view&current=amgmdm.flv)

AngeLoLo
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
SWEET!! ill be there for sure!

tsud123
05-04-2008, 01:11 AM
ahh. this sounds like fun. i think i might be able to go :)

dafamcallsmebj
05-04-2008, 03:41 AM
ahh. this sounds like fun. i think i might be able to go :)

you should totally come!!!

UKESTAR
05-10-2008, 09:34 AM
13 days and counting! :nana: I am going to work on Nuke's posted prog. I and II out by the pool today...:nana:

LonBoi808
05-10-2008, 12:05 PM
sounds good ill try to make to dis one.

deadeye
05-10-2008, 04:17 PM
is anyone able to give me a lift from the gaslamp quarter :D?

NukeDOC
05-10-2008, 07:59 PM
is anyone able to give me a lift from the gaslamp quarter :D?

awe crap dude. sorry i didnt get back to your PM. just been real busy. shoot me a number that i can reach you at, and ill call you that morning. i should be trying to get out there pretty early, just to make sure no one else gets that spot. but i should be able to scoop you up on the way. you can keep me company and help me get things set up hehe.

dafamcallsmebj
05-11-2008, 02:27 AM
awe crap dude. sorry i didnt get back to your PM. just been real busy. shoot me a number that i can reach you at, and ill call you that morning. i should be trying to get out there pretty early, just to make sure no one else gets that spot. but i should be able to scoop you up on the way. you can keep me company and help me get things set up hehe.

well if you cant do it arvin... i can do it on my way ova from wizzerk....
just lemme know yah?

BUGOY
05-11-2008, 09:20 AM
YEY! This one is gonna be way better than the first one! :rock:

NukeDOC
05-11-2008, 10:19 AM
ok its time for some updates...

***the site has been scoped out. much mahalo to ukestar. the seats are there and the firepit is still there also. BUT... make sure you bring a folding chair for yourself just in case. it is not guaranteed that we will be able to secure that spot for ourselves, even though im planning to be there very early.

***i need someone to bring a barbecue. if you have a propane one that you are willing to bring along, then thats cool. but if all we can get is a charcoal one, that all good too. just need to know if i should buy some charcoal. please post up here if you have one that you are willing to bring, and how early you can bring it down.

***the staff of UkuleleUnderground has been gracious enough to sponsor this even by providing food. im going to buy as much food as i can with the allowance i have been given. but this also means that if you plan on being fed, you may want to show up earlier than later, just in case i underestimated the attendance, and the food runs out hahaha.

***dont forget to bring your uke!!! and if you have any other instruments that you feel could contribute to the jam, feel free to bring em as well! percussions are always a good addition.

***i will be there a little after lunch time. im hoping thats early enough. this is a prime spot. and i want to make sure that we get it. so if you are available (i know its friday and most people work), feel free to come down and keep me company. we can talk story, pre-jam, you can teach me a thing or two, and maybe vice versa.

***and one more thing... just as a reminder... BRING A FIRE LOG. if you dont know what im talking about, here is an example of one:
http://www.builderdepot.com/HTHACKNEYCO_20/prodimg/1740500.JPG
these go for abut $4 at the local supermarket. and they last for up to 4 hours. but one at a time isnt going to cut it. if you have even been to a bonfire party, the bigger the fire, the more fun it is. if we throw ten of these into the pit at a time, its going to be awesome.
*regular wood - its cool, but takes too long to get hot enough to hold a good flame.
*palettes - ILLEGAL. unless you pull the nails out of them beforehand. but they also burn too quickly.

CAPT Mike
05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Can come by the Ukulele Society of America kanikapila on the 15th at Ocean House in Carlsbad.

dafamcallsmebj
05-15-2008, 04:23 AM
i can bring a grill... and charcoal!!
how big do u wan the grill to be???

UKESTAR
05-15-2008, 01:53 PM

You da man bj:rock:

NukeDOC
05-15-2008, 03:26 PM
bj just bring what you can. i think people are going to be more concerned with playing and learning their ukes that people are probably going to be trickling to the 'cue.

we're all a bunch of good, laid back people, right? RIGHT? so if the grill is a little small, compared to the amount of people waiting for a FREE bite, im sure they wouldnt mind waiting a few more minutes while someone burns em a fresh dog or patty.

thanks for stepping up bj. i was hoping we would have a definite bbq sometime soon. hahaha.

shortgirl28
05-15-2008, 10:52 PM
My work did not give me the day off, so I have to wait and see. I watched Adrine's tutorial of "Wonderful Tonight" and am still learning it, if I can make it to the bonfire <hopefully they call me off> I hope to put shame to myself and perform what I learned so far, if not I'll put a video up...maybe....So to those going to the bonfire hope to see you there,< hopefully>, but if I cant make it I would like to make a request of those going and ask that you play "Wonderful Tonight". :music: THANK YOU!!!

NukeDOC
05-15-2008, 11:44 PM
My work did not give me the day off, so I have to wait and see. I watched Adrine's tutorial of "Wonderful Tonight" and am still learning it, if I can make it to the bonfire <hopefully they call me off> I hope to put shame to myself and perform what I learned so far, if not I'll put a video up...maybe....So to those going to the bonfire hope to see you there,< hopefully>, but if I cant make it I would like to make a request of those going and ask that you play "Wonderful Tonight". :music: THANK YOU!!!
you dont have to be there when we start. just come when you can. if you want ill PM you my number so you can all and make sure people are still around before you drive down.

UKESTAR
05-16-2008, 04:36 AM
bj just bring what you can. i think people are going to be more concerned with playing and learning their ukes that people are probably going to be trickling to the 'cue.

we're all a bunch of good, laid back people, right? RIGHT? so if the grill is a little small, compared to the amount of people waiting for a FREE bite, im sure they wouldnt mind waiting a few more minutes while someone burns em a fresh dog or patty.

thanks for stepping up bj. i was hoping we would have a definite bbq sometime soon. hahaha.

If the BBQ is under 50 sq. inches, I am going to stay at home.:eek:

NukeDOC
05-16-2008, 04:56 AM
If the BBQ is under 50 sq. inches, I am going to stay at home.:eek:

that would be a hibachi (sp?) hehe

AnthonyUkulele
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
One More Effing Week Brahhhhhhh!!!!!!

dafamcallsmebj
05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
that would be a hibachi (sp?) hehe

i was gunna bring a hibachi!!
hahah
i guess i can bring a bigger one juist for you nate!!
haha

UKESTAR
05-19-2008, 08:14 AM
5 days and counting...:)

BUGOY
05-19-2008, 09:18 AM
anyone got a roland micro cube i can barrow? im planning on bringing my traveler electric guitar. I'll hook you up with some Hospital grade batteries! hehe! :D

JoeyJr858
05-19-2008, 09:45 AM
I can't make it, but I'll promote the event to my uke students! :D

keep me posted on the next gathering!

AUUURRRYYYEE!
Jj

watchmeuke
05-19-2008, 06:52 PM
this has nothing to do with any meetups, but i shouted out SD in my latest video!

WOOT WOOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WU8w-gUC2A

UKESTAR
05-19-2008, 07:11 PM
this has nothing to do with any meetups, but i shouted out SD in my latest video!

WOOT WOOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WU8w-gUC2A

Nice song man!

UKESTAR
05-19-2008, 07:12 PM
anyone got a roland micro cube i can barrow? im planning on bringing my traveler electric guitar. I'll hook you up with some Hospital grade batteries! hehe! :D

I can bring a micro if you want. Just let me know. Yeh, if you have batteries that would be good bec. I don't have any for it at the moment.:rock:

BUGOY
05-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Ok, ya i'll let u know. I just emailed a guy selling one on craigslist for $90. if that falls through then yes, i would like to barrow yours. thanks Ukestar! :worship:

Johnny Elsewhere
05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
So what's the deal? Anyone find a specific location yet?

NukeDOC
05-20-2008, 08:53 AM
So what's the deal? Anyone find a specific location yet?

yeah. i knoe theres a few pages, but scroll though the thread. i posted a map and directions. when i get a chance ill post up all the info in one post.

NukeDOC
05-20-2008, 09:30 AM
San Diego Represent!!!
Part Deux

San Diego Ukulele Players' Jam Session

In conjunction with Ukulele Underground Dot Com

"The first one was a BLAST. My friends are still talking about it! So it's only natural that we do it again!"

Who:
Anyone that's interested in attending. No haters though. If you play another instrument that you think would go well with the 20 other ukes going on, feel free to bring it (ie: cajon, dembe, guitar, acoustic bass, tambourine, etc). Players of all ages and skill levels are welcome. Novices come to learn. Experts come to share knowledge. Everyone comes to JAM!
When:
May 23rd, 2008 at 6:00pm.
If you run on Filipino Time then its 5:00pm for you!
Where:
Bonfire Pit by Paradise Resort in Mission Bay.

directions from the I-5:

LEFT on Vacation Road

For practice, watch these. They have a funny way of showing up whenever we jam:

What To Bring:
1. YOUR UKULELE
2. A synthetic fire log for the bonfire. Like this:
http://www.builderdepot.com/HTHACKNEYCO_20/prodimg/1740500.JPG.
You can get them at Walmart or any grocery store for about $3. They burn for up to 4 hours. With enough of these we can have a roaring fire that will last all night long and still have some left over. PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY WOODEN PALETTES. It is illegal and the local police will order us to put the fire out if we are caught with them.

JoeyJr858
05-20-2008, 09:31 AM
hmmm... possibility I"ll make it... =)

I'm hopin!

Jj

kajun
05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
hmmm... possibility I"ll make it... =)

I'm hopin!

Jj

hey mang,

call me up if you go...
i'm tryin to get some other peeps to go to but i'm not for sure yet cuz of work and all...

UKESTAR
05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
yeah. i knoe theres a few pages, but scroll though the thread. i posted a map and directions. when i get a chance ill post up all the info in one post.

Dude...you are killing me with that avatar. Make it stop:eek: Hahah... Good luck on the roland...let me know if you need mine..:rock:

NotoriousMOK
05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
tick tock -- good to see this is finally about to go down!

I'll be able to head that way about 3:30, maybe earlier, but the drive time is an unknown to me. I'll have 3 ukes, 3 drums and a folding table (and of course my firelogs).

looks like last time around somebody was good enough to get some great pics and video, please do this again!

:nana:

dafamcallsmebj
05-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Two More Days!!!!!!!

NukeDOC
05-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Dustin and I will be there. =)

dude thats awesome that you guys are coming down for this.

BUGOY
05-22-2008, 09:00 AM
this is going to be EPIC!!! :music:

NukeDOC
05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
i know this is last minute and all... but does anyone have an EZ Up? one of those foldable canopy dealios? just in case. the forecast just says cloudy and windy. but if it starts to rain (you know, like if the weatherman were ever wrong about the forecast), i would hate for the ukes to get wet.

cant wait! :rock:

tribal_theory1
05-22-2008, 11:06 AM
i'm so stoked. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't rain, though.

BUGOY
05-22-2008, 11:10 AM
ya good idea. oh Ukestar, I just picked up a brand new Micro Cube so I wont be needing yours anymore... thanks for offering though!

tribal_theory1
05-22-2008, 11:18 AM
how long is this thing going for? i'm gonna be there later than 6.

NukeDOC
05-22-2008, 11:25 AM
how long is this thing going for? i'm gonna be there later than 6.
should still be going on. so come down! you have my number. just call me if you wanna check ahead of time.

FunkyPeaNutZ
05-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Hey Nuke, could you give me a pm with your numba?
I'm more than likely heading down myself. I want to get down before LA and SD traffic start getting crazy, so I can help setting stuff up too if needed.
Hopefully it doesn't rain. The weather was crazy here in LA, I don't want it to ruin the fun.

NukeDOC
05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Hey Nuke, could you give me a pm with your numba?
I'm more than likely heading down myself. I want to get down before LA and SD traffic start getting crazy, so I can help setting stuff up too if needed.
Hopefully it doesn't rain. The weather was crazy here in LA, I don't want it to ruin the fun.
you got it. hope you make it!

NotoriousMOK
05-23-2008, 05:53 AM
hmm . . . . plan to get a little wet???

NukeDOC
05-23-2008, 06:08 AM
two months of planning. im looking outside right now, and it reminds me of the weather in the philippines right before a hurricane hits.

that forecast did not look like that yesterday. :mad:

i dont like this at all. :(

if anyone has any last minute suggestions feel free to spit them out.

only thing i can think of is to move this to tomorrow its supposed to stop raining in the morning. we would still have to deal with soggy grass to get to the pit. but then its pretty much concrete.

im so frustrated right now.

BUGOY
05-23-2008, 07:24 AM
not looking good guys.... :confused:

NukeDOC
05-23-2008, 07:43 AM
ok so i got off the phone with a couple people. and there are some hard chargers out there that are still willing to make this happen.

i still want to be out there just for the sake of the people that dont get the message and still show up.

so its still on!

but its probably not going to be the epic gathering that we all hoped for.

what im going to do is plan on for the not so distant future. stay tuned. that is when we will tear it up with the fire and the bbq.

for tonight, just a bonfire for the hard chargin ukers. gonna try to get our hands on an ez up for some shelter. DONT BRING YOUR GOOD UKE. haha. and im not going to be there early. i seriously doubt that there will be anyone out there early trying to skunk me for the spot today haha.

so, see you all at 6:00pm (those that still plan to make it!)

NotoriousMOK
05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
I dunno about the rest of you, but I ain't afraid of no stinkin' water!!

I've got a fair sized ez-up that I will bring, and if somebody else has one, that would be even better! If we by some chance get a total of 2 or 3 of these then the rain if it comes will be a non-issue!

Also, I'm bringing 'the good uke' in addition to the more 'resiliant' ukes -- it might not come out of the car, but I'm gonna be ready for good or bad weather, uke will prevail!

. . . . . "Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend, but I always thought that I'd see UKE again."

:nana:

deadeye
05-23-2008, 08:29 AM
dude this is gunna be awesome

i just walked like 20 blocks in the rain tho :\..lets hope the uke gods give us some good weather?

so yeh i dont have a uke in the states yet, but ill find something to do!

see u guys tonight hopefully
jon

wearymicrobe
05-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I will be there, I will bring some ukes for people to try out if it does not rain.

wearymicrobe
05-23-2008, 09:34 AM
I just went home, I live in the hills over looking the bay, it should be dry tonight but cold, and the water is looking treacherous so no jumping in the bay. Worst case we can use my house if it comes down on us. I have to double check with the wife first but the garage is cleaned out and dry and plenty of space, I just have to put the 55 in the back yard.

EDIT

Now its coming down like cats and dogs.

NotoriousMOK
05-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Now its coming down like cats and dogs.

Good -- maybe it will be all done by the time we get rollin'! :rock:

FunkyPeaNutZ
05-23-2008, 10:48 AM
bring the rain gear, it's on!!!!

NukeDOC
05-23-2008, 11:29 AM
man you guys are HARD CORE!!! i love it!

its so on!

:bowdown:

clevacheva
05-23-2008, 12:04 PM
ill try and make it out there!

wearymicrobe
05-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Suns pooking out of the sky here and there and the ground is drying up.

See you guys around ~7:30

YuKoLayLay
05-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I dont think me Anthonyukulele or 2ES will go. But we will try to make the next one.