NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
SDREPUKEJAM_2.gif

San Diego Represent!!!
Part Deux

San Diego Ukulele Players' Jam Session

In conjunction with Ukulele Underground Dot Com

"The first one was a BLAST. My friends are still talking about it! So it's only natural that we do it again!"

Who:
Anyone that's interested in attending. No haters though. If you play another instrument that you think would go well with the 20 other ukes going on, feel free to bring it (ie: cajon, dembe, guitar, acoustic bass, tambourine, etc). Players of all ages and skill levels are welcome. Novices come to learn. Experts come to share knowledge. Everyone comes to JAM!
When:
May 23rd, 2008 at 6:00pm.
If you run on Filipino Time then its 5:00pm for you!

Where:
Bonfire Pit by Paradise Resort in Mission Bay.

directions from the I-5:

take I-8 WEST toward "beaches"
exit West Mission Bay Dr toward "sports arena"
RIGHT on West Mission Bay Dr
CONTINUE on to Ingraham St
LEFT on Vacation Road
soon as you turn in make FIRST LEFT
you will come to a fork. you can find parking on either side of the Lagoon.
the bonfire pit we are targetting is the one that looks like a concrete set of bleachers.

here are some pics of the area:

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

For practice, watch these. They have a funny way of showing up whenever we jam:

progression 1

progression 2
What To Bring:
1. YOUR UKULELE
2. A synthetic fire log for the bonfire. Like this:
1740500.JPG
You can get them at Walmart or any grocery store for about $3. They burn for up to 4 hours. With enough of these we can have a roaring fire that will last all night long and still have some left over. PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY WOODEN PALETTES. It is illegal and the local police will order us to put the fire out if we are caught with them.

Last edited:
i just realized that since i set it up to where the poll is not private, i could use that as an initial rsvp to make sure i know who to contact. for now i will keep this going through Private Messaging. and dont worry, im not going to get annoying with it. hahaha.

Haha... my family and I are in San Diego from the... 17th to 22nd.

I curse my luck...

Of course, I doubt they'd let me go anyhow, if it was on one of those days...

(and besides... I probably wouldn't want to even if I could... being a minor and all)

Last edited:
whooaa! as of today I am avail for both days. Both look good. Cant wait.

guys

i live in the UK, but im going over to the west coast for 2months to do some travelling in april, may and june..

im totally gunna come to this!

Sign me up for either (voted) and I'll drive down . . . . uhm, WHERE exactly did I just commit to driving??? I'm coming from OC (Lake Forest/Mission Viejo) to hang with you turkeys ;). Crap, just realized that's a friday too -- so please recommend how much time I should factor in with traffic :rolleyes:.

I've a bit of seat time organizing regular drum circles and the like so if I may make a couple suggestions;

1. Establish the regular schedule now -- no sense going thru this process every time. The 3rd friday of the month is as good as any (16th in this case). No matter what you do, some people will make it and some wont. You'll go nuts trying to align EVERYBODY EVERY TIME. I was giggling about a thread where the guys in Long Beach area (YOU know who you are!) have been trying to settle on the FIRST event for nearly three months now -- just do it -- lets go play!

2. I suggest setting the 'official' time at 6pm but expect that things wont really be rolling full swing until 7pm (allowing people to get home from work, change, kick the dog, whatever).

3. Make the food an optional thing -- only because we're looking at a Friday thing here, most people simply aren't prepared to deal with that after the workday etc. Weekends are better for a campfire/potluck type thing.

4. Bring extra instruments (any kine) IF you're willing and able. For drum circles I bring 4-6 drums and they NEVER go unpounded. I attach glow sticks to my drums so I can keep track of them. When you gather for music people are naturally attracted, and it's a perfect time to grow the Ukummunity (wow, did I just make a freakin' word there???). Put an ukulele in a spectator's hand, hit 'em with 2 or 3 chords and that's probably all it will take (the first needle is free).

5. Bring extra chord sheets -- you're printing one? Cool, no effort to bring 2 extra for the guy who's never got his act together (again, YOU know who you are! :D).

6. Props to you Doc for pushing people to action on this -- but you don't have to do it alone -- lets all work out a regular day/time and the rest WILL fall in to place.

Oh, one last thing, May sounds great thats for sure, but what the hell is wrong with April??? I thought you guys were SERIOUS (jeez!):p.

Have fun! Let's play!

p.s. Should I bring drums/shakers/stuff-that-makes-noise as well?

Last edited:
great suggestions, mok! i totally agree with the monthly thing. its just that right now, with it basically only me putting the thing together, i still need to give myself time in between my obligations to my job, kids, and my own band (and we know we need work haha).

6pm it is. it'll allow for "filipino time" hahaha

extra ukes are always there. but just to put it out there, if you have some that youre willing to bring along, feel free to! last time we even had some guitars and percussions.

the other stuff will be discussed at the actual jam. nothing formal. just ideas i wanna put out there first. only thing i dont want to happen is for these to become stagnant. there is so much potential for growth. but before i say too much... hahaha.

one more thing... mok has already done it, but if its not too much hassle for you, and if you are willing, please PM me your contact info ie phone number. dont worry, im not gonna call you at 6pm while youre having dinner with the family asking you to switch over to at&t. haha.

just a request. it would make things easier for me. most likely i wont reply. but ill get the info and store it.

Yeee

:sounds like a great time. i can bring percussion and extra ukes. and a couple more players.

maybe next one we can have a mic/speaker system????? just throwin it out there.

ill try to bring a tray of lumpias :D

and NUKE if you need help with anything i would be more than happy to help i can see how thiss could get overwhelming by yourself.

ps. if these start blowing up...i would be more than happy to host a jam at my house. could set up a cute little bonfire. there is enough space for like 30x the first jam. and it would be free.... so let me know... cant waait for part deuxxxxxxx

:sounds like a great time. i can bring percussion and extra ukes. and a couple more players.

and NUKE if you need help with anything i would be more than happy to help i can see how thiss could get overwhelming by yourself.

ps. if these start blowing up...i would be more than happy to host a jam at my house. could set up a cute little bonfire. there is enough space for like 30x the first jam. and it would be free.... so let me know... cant waait for part deuxxxxxxx

thats real cool of you man!!

having a sound system would be awesome, unfortunately i think we'd need some kind of permit for amplification.

Top Bottom