Fantastic plastic...got an Islander

weeshan

Reaction score
I enjoy my Outdoor Ukulele so much that I decided a Maccaferri Islander needed to be on my must have list..that way I could enjoy the old and the new.

Wow! I see why these are collectible. The one I got sounds great and is so easy to play with the low action. I ended up with a semi-deluxe. I really like how the hard, more brittle plastic of the Maccaferri has a completely different sound than the softer material of the Outdoor Uke. I know some arent fans of plastic instruments but in the case of these two...I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Islander.jpg

I've worked in the millwork industry for most of my life. So I am all about the wood. Wood is good. (get your minds out of the gutter) But something about the simplicity of plastic ukes is intriguing. I need to get one to keep in my car for practice in traffic jams.

Hey there Voxshades...I agree and get your point. Im generally a purist about things so my interest in the plastic ukes really surprises me still. There is just something about the sound that I like. Any shortcomings they have are quickly forgotten when you are playing while soaking in the tub with a drink, standing in the pouring rain or walking up a trail with an outdoor uke crammed into your backpack...all without having to give a single thought to harming the instrument. With that said, nothing beats wood (get YOUR mind out of the gutter, hehehe). For me, there will always be a place for plastic ukes because they are just so darn fun.

I really like the looks of the Outdoor Uke. My biggest problem would be picking between the green & brown. I'm really starting to think I need a go anywhere uke. hmmm...

btw, your Maccaferri looks to be in terrific condition.

I really like the looks of the Outdoor Uke. My biggest problem would be picking between the green & brown. I'm really starting to think I need a go anywhere uke. hmmm...

btw, your Maccaferri looks to be in terrific condition.

To me, the brown looked tacky because of the way you could see the braces on the inside in the front. They're not as noticeable on the green.

As far as I know, Outdoor Ukulele and Maccaferri Islander are both the highest end of plastic ukulele. They are Kamana and Martin in plastic uku. lol

To me, the brown looked tacky because of the way you could see the braces on the inside in the front. They're not as noticeable on the green.

but, that's one the things I like about them...:(

As far as I know, Outdoor Ukulele and Maccaferri Islander are both the highest end of plastic ukulele. They are Kamana and Martin in plastic uku. lol

Do you consider the blackbird and other carbon fiber or eKoa ukes plastic? If so, I'd argue that they're the highest end.

Do you consider the blackbird and other carbon fiber or eKoa ukes plastic? If so, I'd argue that they're the highest end.

While they have "plastic" resins, I would not consider these to be plastic ukuleles. The woven fiber is a major component to the composite aspect of the material. I feel this takes it beyond what most people consider to be plastic. ymmv

I just ran into one of these at the local shop and although I haven't been thrilled with my plastic ukuleles, it sounded so good...well, good enough...that I snatched it up. It's concert sized and the only sound hole is on the side, which I think really helps the sound. Or at least it helps me hear what I'm playing. It's headed for the backseat of the car. I've had it a few days and I'm still very happy with it. :)
EddyFinn_Beachmaster_Blu.jpgEddyFinn_Beachmaster_hole.jpg
Uke Republic has them..
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/eddy-finn-beachmaster-all-plastic-concert-ukulele-w-padded-bag

I just ran into one of these at the local shop and although I haven't been thrilled with my plastic ukuleles, it sounded so good...well, good enough...that I snatched it up. It's concert sized and the only sound hole is on the side, which I think really helps the sound. Or at least it helps me hear what I'm playing. It's headed for the backseat of the car. I've had it a few days and I'm still very happy with it. :)
View attachment 94680View attachment 94681
Uke Republic has them..
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/eddy-finn-beachmaster-all-plastic-concert-ukulele-w-padded-bag

Intriguing. Someone tried to tell me about this, but there was no website to look at. Now I have something to consider....it's my size!

Congratulations, weeshan! Soon we will be plastic uke twins, for I already own an Islander and have a bottle brown Outdoor on the way!

I agree with everything you said about the Islander sound, and how easy it is to play. I had the Waterman - yuck. Very far from playable for me.

What color is the back of your new piece of ukulele history? Mine is purple swirl. Except for the bridge, the front looks similar to yours.
IMG_4933.jpgIMG_4936.jpg

Top Bottom