Tenor scale length 17 vs 18"

johnson430

Reaction score
So what is the difference? Does 18" add more frets or more space between the frets?
Thanks.

ps: I did a quick google search but didn't see anything relevant, there might be something on UU but I didn't look it up because the fish are biting so I am hoping someone can help me out while I try to catch some snapper for dinner. =)

I have Kamaka HF-3 and Kamaka HF-3L. The HF-3L stands for long neck, and it has a 19" scale, which in my limited experience is the standard on long neck tenors. Kanile'a occasionally makes them, and I regret not buying the one HMS had for sale recently.

I am new to uke, but I have invested heavily in my new addiction. If you explain to me how to attach photo I will send picture of them side by side. My observations:
1) The long neck model connects to the body at the 15th fret rather than the 14th fret.
2) The frets on the long neck model are wider in between and much easier to play and get great tone up the neck
3) The body is the same, but tone has more low end and depth overall. I guess simplified it sounds somewhere in between tenor and baritone. I can say this comfortably because I also have an HF-4 baritone.

Hope this helps!

Awesome. Thanks Mezcalero and uke1950.
I am getting a custom uke made and I think it might suit my playing style to get an 18".

Awesome. Thanks Mezcalero and uke1950.
I am getting a custom uke made and I think it might suit my playing style to get an 18".

I have never heard of a 18" scale length on a tenor, 19" yes. I am assuming you are talking about the Ono you have ordered. I would guess the fret spacing would be a bit larger and it would remain 14 frets to the body. Again I have never heard of a 18" but David Ingalls would be the best guy to ask.

He does a 16" concert which is one inch longer than standard so anything is possible. I have one and love it, Dave build great instruments

The string tension must be pretty high at 18/19" I would imagine. I've only just now built up enough finger strength to barre cleanly on a 17" tenor :)

The question was answered. Longer scale lengths have more distance between frets. Here's how it works/ you should think about it.

No matter what the scale length of an instrument. The 12th fret is ALWAYS at exactly at the halfway mark. The scale length could be 12", 20" or 30". It doesn't matter. The 12th fret is always half way. That's just the maths involved.

Now, longer scale length instruments can have more frets between the 12th fret and the saddle, but there is always 12 frets between the middle and the nut.

Anthony

The string tension must be pretty high at 18/19" I would imagine. I've only just now built up enough finger strength to barre cleanly on a 17" tenor :)

You wouldn't necessarily use the same string set for a 18" as for a 17". For instance, Southcoast ML would be about right for 17" and LML would be about right for 18" (assuming linear C tuning).

I have never heard of a 18" scale length on a tenor, 19" yes. I am assuming you are talking about the Ono you have ordered. I would guess the fret spacing would be a bit larger and it would remain 14 frets to the body. Again I have never heard of a 18" but David Ingalls would be the best guy to ask.

He does a 16" concert which is one inch longer than standard so anything is possible. I have one and love it, Dave build great instruments

Hey, Dave,
Yes, it is on his specs page, check it out:
http://www.onoukes.com/specs/

In addition to what others have indicated, if/how the number of frets to the body changes depends on the builder. Ideally, they want to keep the bridge in the sweet spot of the body which can change the number of frets to the body ("clear"). As @anthonyg points out, the 12th fret will always be the mid-point of the entire fretboard.

No snapper today but I caught a beautiful chocolate grouper. He was returned safely to the sea.
14525008_1116388691778555_2650453166568227305_o.jpg

Hey, Dave,
Yes, it is on his specs page, check it out:
http://www.onoukes.com/specs/

Wow.....very interesting.....I had no idea thanks so much for the info. I have played a 19" long neck Kamaka tenor and it is great. I have a 19" baritone I like the extra room. A 18" tenor would be great, espeically playing above the 7th fret. Damn now I got one more reason to own another Ono;)

I'm a fan of 16" concert, 17" tenor and 19" baritone. 18"? Hmm. Ok, I guess, but not all that enthused for myself. I don't see it adding any real versatility to my toolbox.

Wow.....very interesting.....espeically playing above the 7th fret. Damn now I got one more reason to own another Ono;)

Dave,
You are thinking like me. I have played a 19" bari and like the extra space on the other side of the 7th fret.

Not that you need any coaxing to get another Ono but...
I don't want to say too much without David's permission but I am working with him to try some "new things" with my build. One thing is a different bridge design. (but I am already saying too much)
Send him an email and get him to send you a photo so I don't get in any hot water. =)

with slightly thinner strings.

Aside from the fret spacing, this is another factor. :agree:

The longer scale will allow you to play with lighter gauge strings giving you a little more clarity.

Aside from the fret spacing, this is another factor. :agree:

The longer scale will allow you to play with lighter gauge strings giving you a little more clarity.

I agree with this. As a matter of fact, I am working on getting my own custom customer concoction string set going at Strings by mail using Savarez strings for my long neck Kamaka so that it has the same feel as the strings I am using on my 17" tenors. I have to thank original poster for directing me to this option at Strings by mail :)

Dave,

I don't want to say too much without David's permission but I am working with him to try some "new things" with my build. One thing is a different bridge design. (but I am already saying too much)
Send him an email and get him to send you a photo so I don't get in any hot water. =)

Secrets on UU? When did that start? :) In the spirit of full disclosure, here are some photos of the bridge that Jason is talking about. This is a Bolivian rosewood tenor that just got strung up today:

29407579223_09de9f1f97_b.jpg

29951069781_c9f86096e1_b.jpg

29407579633_244c31440a_b.jpg

Since Jason induced me to hijack his thread, I'll just keep on going.

This is the new MOP peg head inlay:

29951068771_ebb6c58831_b.jpg

The new bridge also went on this 19" maple baritone that will get strung up shortly:

29407578323_0ca5c631a8_b.jpg

29951070851_cde5765e15_b.jpg

29407578793_8553175c56_b.jpg

Top Bottom