Issues with nut going from unwound low g to high g?

Recstar24

Reaction score
Hello!

As the subject line states, I'm wondering if I potentially run into issues changing my koaloha tenor to high g. Since the nut slot is widened for an unwound low g, are there issues with buzzing or intonation going to hi g with the slot being too wide?normally I would be fine just getting a new nut but it appears it is glued on the koaloha and I don't want to mess with it. Thanks!

It's hard to say unless you try it. If the slot turns out to be too wide and/or deep, you can try filling it if the nut is glued in place and you don't want to risk popping it off. This is sometimes done with CA and baking soda. Goggle will lead you to pointers on how to do it. I seem to remember seeing a youtube as well. Good Luck!

Put your first (A) string on you 4th (G) course, and check by yourself.

It may not be glued, just has a tight fit. Try tapping it with a small plastic hammer, it might come loose. If not, like the above posts try the string, there might not be a problem. Or, fill it with a super glue and baking soda mixture and then file the slot to fit.

Send an email to KoAloha and ask them if there may be problem.

I have changed my KoAloha KTM-00 to a high g and not had a problem, when I look at the nut I can't really see any difference in width between the slots even though there must be.

Just checked intonation, albeit with a Snark, and it's spot on right up to the last fret.

Last edited:
Send an email to KoAloha and ask them if there may be problem.

I have changed my KoAloha KTM-00 to a high g and not had a problem, when I look at the nut I can't really see any difference in width between the slots even though there must be.

Just checked intonation, albeit with a Snark, and it's spot on right up to the last fret.

Thanks and good to hear it's at least worked fine in other cases. I'm just going to do it and go from there.

I know this problem comes up once in awhile, but it's never happened to me. Try out the string first.......chances are there will be no problem.

Last edited:
It works with high g. Mine has worth clears.

Ryan,
Just do it!
If it buzzes, then you can worry about the fix.
BTW, I have never had a problem going from high to low g on any of my ukes.

Ryan,
Just do it!
If it buzzes, then you can worry about the fix.
BTW, I have never had a problem going from high to low g on any of my ukes.

High to low g is a little different than low g unwound to high g.

Going from high g to low g wound requires no modification to nut slot.

Going from high g to low unwound g usually requires a nut slot to widen but that's very easy to do with a nut file or sandpaper.

Going from unwound low g to high g is a unique circumstance. Since the nut slot has been widened to accommodate the unwound low g, you run the opposite issue going to high g where it could be potentially too wide. That would require a new nut or filing in the nut slot with CA and baking soda.

But it appears others had done so and done with good results so no worries!

Steve and CML,

How do you like the sound? Just curious, I'll hear for myself when I get off my but to restring but would love to hear your thoughts. I've always associated koaloha tenors in low g so will be cool to hear it with a new voice.

Steve and CML,

How do you like the sound? Just curious, I'll hear for myself when I get off my but to restring but would love to hear your thoughts. I've always associated koaloha tenors in low g so will be cool to hear it with a new voice.

I always like the re-entrant sound for a ukulele, and as the string was a high g and crap anyway I just put a brand new set of Living Waters on it.

So don't have a comparison really, but I like the high g, (and Living Water as well).

I have a lot of my ukes strung for low G, and I have not altered any of the nuts. If I know it is going to be a low G uke, and it is a custom uke, I will have them set up for that. For the others, like KoAloha, Kanile'a, Kala etc, I have been able to use the provided nut for either string without any problem. The Kanile'a nut is glued, so I wanted to make sure I wanted to go low g permanently. It sounded great in Low G, but I decided to keep it re-entrant because it sounded so exceptionally pretty with that tuning. You can test it out for a day or so, even if the string isn't sitting all the way in the nut groove, before doing any filing.
–Lori

High to low g is a little different than low g unwound to high g.

Going from high g to low g wound requires no modification to nut slot.

Going from high g to low unwound g usually requires a nut slot to widen but that's very easy to do with a nut file or sandpaper.

Going from unwound low g to high g is a unique circumstance. Since the nut slot has been widened to accommodate the unwound low g, you run the opposite issue going to high g where it could be potentially too wide. That would require a new nut or filing in the nut slot with CA and baking soda.

But it appears others had done so and done with good results so no worries!

Thanks for clarifying. I should have said vice-verse too. I have had the Worth Brown Low G on my Pono MGT and then switched to PHD high G with no problem. If I remember correctly, the nut slots on my KoAloha appeared larger than other ukes. But I never got any buzzing from a high g fluorocarbon in the widen G string slot.

As many have stated, it shouldn't be a problem. I've used little shims of paper or ribbon to correct for width & height of slots on several occasions.

Thanks everyone for the input and peace of mind! Looking forward to hearing my koaloha in high g, it's such a sweet but loud voice I think it has a lot of potential!

Top Bottom