Changing to high D on my Baritone with a used string

edsdds

Reaction score
So I have a baritone BK20 with Living Waters fluorocarbon strings on them with the low D. I wan't to try a high D. Can't I just change the D string only?

If so can I just yank a string off of a Concert ukulele I have lying around and tune to high D? If so which string would I use?

Thanks

Chances are a string from a concert will be too short to fit a baritone. If you're just looking to "try things out", find a nylon guitar string or length of nylon fishing line of similar diameter to your existing treble (E) string, that'll be perfectly adequate in the first instance. Volume levels may be a little different between nylon and fluorocarbon, but you'll get a good idea without spending too much money :)

Good luck !

Chances are a string from a concert will be too short to fit a baritone. If you're just looking to "try things out", find a nylon guitar string or length of nylon fishing line of similar diameter to your existing treble (E) string, that'll be perfectly adequate in the first instance. Volume levels may be a little different between nylon and fluorocarbon, but you'll get a good idea without spending too much money :)

Good luck !

Fishing line huh? I had no idea. Too bad I don't fish.

I think kypfer is right about the length, especially if you are pulling it off a concert uke. As far as which string to use, if you look at the gauge chart on the Living Water site, the high d is closest in gauge to the 2nd string of the concert set, so I'd start there if you just happen to have a concert set around. If you have a baritone set, you can just use the 1st string.

A High d string will make your baritone sound like a Ukulele. I switched to a High d a couple of weeks ago and really like it.

A High d string will make your baritone sound like a Ukulele. I switched to a High d a couple of weeks ago and really like it.

Like a re-entrant ukulele. With low D, it sounds like a linear ukulele. ;-)

I think kypfer is right about the length, especially if you are pulling it off a concert uke. As far as which string to use, if you look at the gauge chart on the Living Water site, the high d is closest in gauge to the 2nd string of the concert set, so I'd start there if you just happen to have a concert set around. If you have a baritone set, you can just use the 1st string.

Jim is correct about using the gauge chart. I did the very same thing a few months ago with a Pono baritone. I swapped out just the wound low D sting for a floro string. The size you need is close to. 062 mm which is. 0244", I used an A string from an Oasis warm set. You can use whatever floro string you like as long as it is close to the correct diameter. Worth shows the diameters of all their strings if you have some of those on hand. I always have Oasis warm and bright on hand for times when I want to experiment.

Jim is correct about using the gauge chart. I did the very same thing a few months ago with a Pono baritone. I swapped out just the wound low D sting for a floro string. The size you need is close to. 062 mm which is. 0244", I used an A string from an Oasis warm set. You can use whatever floro string you like as long as it is close to the correct diameter. Worth shows the diameters of all their strings if you have some of those on hand. I always have Oasis warm and bright on hand for times when I want to experiment.

Dave is the Mad String Changer. He knows his stuff. Lol.

Top Bottom