mds725
10-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Paua to the people!

Dan Gleibitz
10-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Bahaha!

"Earth! Wind! Fire! Water! Heart(O.=)! By your Pauas combined..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbW5sxyu9bU

I miss the 80s. Not being me in the 80s, that sucked; I just miss the cartoons.

sequoia
10-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Just inlaid this paua. Ain't it beautiful?

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Just inlaid this paua. Ain't it beautiful?

I can bear-ly see it ;)

pahu
10-03-2016, 04:47 AM
On my first/current build
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?122738-Uke-Building-class-Palomar-College-San-Diego-County
A few pieces of the abalone look a little less shiny than the rest-is it possible to polish it after its glued in the rosette?
I either placed it upside-down, or I may have sanded too much(220) getting the purfling flush with the top.
Suggestions appreciated.

ksquine
10-03-2016, 06:53 AM
I never knew you could cut Paua with a sword. I've been doing it the boring way all these years

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-03-2016, 08:14 AM
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?122738-Uke-Building-class-Palomar-College-San-Diego-County
A few pieces of the abalone look a little less shiny than the rest-is it possible to polish it after its glued in the rosette?
I either placed it upside-down, or I may have sanded too much(220) getting the purfling flush with the top.
Suggestions appreciated.

I just inlay it then flatten to 220 or 320 - you dont want to go to fine as the nitro wont stick to it as well

pahu
10-03-2016, 04:10 PM
- you dont want to go to fine as the nitro wont stick to it as well
Thanks- how about shellac adhesion?

sequoia
10-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Suggestions appreciated.

Not all ab is the same. Remember abalone shell is only so thick and when it is cut there is the underside which gets close to the shell and is dull. It is hard sometimes to tell how thick the necre is (the good shiny stuff) on the top side to any ab piece. By the looks of it in the pictures, you have some nice ab. I'm a little surprised you sanded through. I always try to set my ab just a fraction proud and sand off as little as possible because who knows what is underneath and how thick the necre is. I suspect the ab is gonna look just fine once it is sanded out to 320+ and finished. Its gonna look great.

Titchtheclown
10-03-2016, 10:26 PM
I often get frustrated by the angles. I cut my own fret dots from raw abalone shell and sometimes I feel a little dissapointed that I don't get a nice glimmer from all my dots at once. They usually all glimmer from some angle or other though.

fungusgeek
10-04-2016, 05:37 AM
Mother of pearl, including abalone pearl, is put down in minute layers by the animal. It therefore has a 'grain', which follows the curve of the shell. The iridescence is caused by light reflecting out of the very thin layers, very much like the effect that causes colors in an opal. The maximum iridescence happens when the thin layers are exactly parallel to the surface. When inlay plates are cut from the shell (flat plates cut from a curved shell) the iridescence will vary, or greatly decrease, if the 'grain' of the layers is not parallel to the surface.

Another effect is caused by the curve of the shell, which means that the layers are not flat, but rather curved, very much like the rings of a tree. For abalone pearl, particularly the lighter abalone pearls (red, pink or green abalone) if you look carefully you will see that for a given inlay pearl plate or slab, one side shows the iridescence as a 'hollow' when the slab is moved, and one side shows the iridescence as a 'mound'. In the first case you are looking at the inside of the shell (curved layers are a concave), while in the second you are looking at the outside of the shell (curved layers are convex).

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Thanks- how about shellac adhesion?

shellac sticks better then nitro to anything

pahu
10-06-2016, 07:13 PM
shellac sticks better then nitro to anything

Thank you, Beau

pahu
10-06-2016, 07:14 PM
I suspect the ab is gonna look just fine once it is sanded out to 320+ and finished. Its gonna look great.
Thanks for the encouragement

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-11-2016, 06:03 AM
I often get frustrated by the angles. I cut my own fret dots from raw abalone shell and sometimes I feel a little dissapointed that I don't get a nice glimmer from all my dots at once. They usually all glimmer from some angle or other though.

Ditto- its very very difficult (well, maybe not difficult but time consuming) to make all shell "flash" at the same time.
I dont worry about it with fingerboard side dots but i do think about it with larger, multi shell piece inlays.

sequoia
10-11-2016, 07:39 PM
I think I finally figured out how to get all my ab dots to flash all in a line. Very simple. I used to try and match the grain lines. Does't work. Solution: Just before you insert the dot, lay it on the deck under light and rotate until it flashes, mark a horizontal with a pencil and insert line perpendicular to the neck. This way at least they will flash all in a line. So obvious. Some times we just don't LOOK. Same with wood: Instead of telling it what to do, let it tell you what it want's to do. Makes life much easier for both of us.

Titchtheclown
10-12-2016, 03:31 AM
Who says bad puns can't lead to good advice.

Time stop browsing the internet. Time to go out and get some exercise I think I will go do some situps to work on my abs. On second thought I may leave my abs alone.

Andyk
10-12-2016, 04:31 AM
Who says bad puns can't lead to good advice.

Time stop browsing the internet. Time to go out and get some exercise I think I will go do some situps to work on my abs. On second thought I may leave my abs alone.

That's so bad it made me laugh :)

pritch
11-18-2016, 05:43 PM
The recent earthquake might mean that there is an unexpected supply of paua shell. The seabed lifted several feet and thousands of the creatures were left high and dry. Efforts were made to put some back in the tide but they are haemophiliac and would bleed to death unless very carefully handled.

Also a team of fisheries inspectors arrived and warned that normal bag limits applied and anybody exceeding the limits would be prosecuted. That seemed a bit odd in the circumstances. There was not much food in the town and the trapped tourists were being fed crayfish (similar to lobster). Life can be tough.

Anyhoo in due course there could be a good supply of paua shell.

sequoia
11-18-2016, 08:34 PM
We occasionally have big gales here where huge amounts of red abalones are washed up on shore dead. Due to fish and game laws it is illegal to collect them. It is also illegal to use them in anything that will be sold (like an ukulele). I literally live in a place that has some of the most beautiful shell on earth and I can't use any of it. I buy my shell from New Zealand. Go figure. Around here people use the shell as reflectors for their driveways so they can find their way home from the bars when they are drunk on a dark night. It drives me nuts sometimes, but I'm a law abiding citizen and I don't use red ab.

lauburu
11-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Around here people use the shell as reflectors for their driveways
Growing up in NZ, I remember nearly every house had paua shell ashtrays. A similarly ignominious end for a natural treasure.
Miguel

Michael Smith
11-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Sequoia, Wrong. If you pick up the shells on the beach you may use them however you wish, even selling them in any form. If however the abalone was taken with a game license you may use them for gifts in any form but you cannot sell.

Now if they wash up alive or with the meat still attached it's probably a different matter. But in short you can use what you find on the beach for your inlays. You might ask how can they tell? They look to see if the shell or parts of the shell have been tumbled in the surf. There is no way to tell after you have made the shell into a component of a ukulele. You would be sited or not depending on what the warden believed you were doing. Then you would have to prove your innosensce. So I suggest if you are finding whole shells on the beach that don't look tumbled take photos while you are collecting and only keep shell parts and shells around your home that were found on the beach. I would think it would be very hard for a jury to convict you if you have a supply of surf tumbled shell parts and shells and you were indeed following the law.

We occasionally have big gales here where huge amounts of red abalones are washed up on shore dead. Due to fish and game laws it is illegal to collect them. It is also illegal to use them in anything that will be sold (like an ukulele). I literally live in a place that has some of the most beautiful shell on earth and I can't use any of it. I buy my shell from New Zealand. Go figure. Around here people use the shell as reflectors for their driveways so they can find their way home from the bars when they are drunk on a dark night. It drives me nuts sometimes, but I'm a law abiding citizen and I don't use red ab.

sequoia
11-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Sequoia, Wrong. If you pick up the shells on the beach you may use them however you wish, even selling them in any form. If however the abalone was taken with a game license you may use them for gifts in any form but you cannot sell.

Now if they wash up alive or with the meat still attached it's probably a different matter. But in short you can use what you find on the beach for your inlays. You might ask how can they tell? They look to see if the shell or parts of the shell have been tumbled in the surf. There is no way to tell after you have made the shell into a component of a ukulele. You would be sited or not depending on what the warden believed you were doing. Then you would have to prove your innosensce. So I suggest if you are finding whole shells on the beach that don't look tumbled take photos while you are collecting and only keep shell parts and shells around your home that were found on the beach. I would think it would be very hard for a jury to convict you if you have a supply of surf tumbled shell parts and shells and you were indeed following the law.

Yeah I hear you Michael. What I'm talking about are whole shells washing up with meat intact which is legally dicey. The other stuff on the beach you are talking about is free game sure, but tends to be small and fragmentary and mostly useless for lutherie purposes. My neighbor is actually the local warden and if he found me stuffing whole shells into a bucket with meat attached he would raise an eyebrow and things could get awkward. It is a fine line. Mostly everybody looks the other way in such situations because really, there is not harm being done. The ab is dead. It is the spirit of the law and not the letter so everything is cool. It is the Asian poachers that are the real problem and it is a huge problem here. Thus we all have to abide by the law. The damn poachers are cleaning us out and thus the problem with beached live abs.