Feelin like a newbie....

freedive135

Reaction score
Everytime I am startin to think I am getting better playin the songs I know, I watch one of the "Live Lessons".... the "Delilah" lesson knocked me down a few pegs :eek:

That is a hard strum pattern and Aldrine makes it seem so easy!!!!

when does the practice end.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

40 YEARS AND STILL LEARNIN', STILL FEEL LIKE A NEWBIE :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well here in Colorado at the folk music school where I took my lessons we called that alternating C pick strum G pick strum the Bluegrass Banjo style.... We never really did much with it so....
it's kinda different for me as I rarely ever use it, not the norm for the Jimmy Buffett or 20's-30's stuff I play!!!

New stuff to work on.....

This is my favorite part of music. I think I've got it. then I see another technique somewhere that makes me feel like a total n00b. I practice it, get good at it, feel good again... and that repeats itself over and over.

Someday I'm going to be really friggin good! Haha.

Yeah Im always learning new stuff. The possiblities are just endless on a ukulele. always new strum patterns and picking routines. different ways to play reggae, rock, country, and all that jazz. excuse the pun.

I hope I never stop learning and practising. I'm always hoping to improve. I hope I'll keep learning until I'm too old and decrepit to hold a uke :D

grrr! I dig what you're sayin. I been at it all afternoon and it still sounds like something you'd hear on Hee Haw! Its like I insist on putting a little "hop" in the pattern. I'm letting the thumb pick on the G string ring too long then follow up with a quick up down up. AG is doing a quick steady rhythm throughout.

O' well, I guess its not all bad, Southern Fried Hey There Delilah! YEE-HAW!

Man, you guys have high standards.

I just cruise message boards, avoid videos of people playing better than me, and never ever ever hang out with people who know what they are doing (or more importantly know what I'm doing.)

Man, you guys have high standards.

I just cruise message boards, avoid videos of people playing better than me, and never ever ever hang out with people who know what they are doing (or more importantly know what I'm doing.)

haha. mahalos for that philosophy! you're only as good as other people's standards. it's all relative to who you're playing with/for

Here's a thought I use when I don't seem to be able to grasp something just like the original.

"You can't steer a parked car" :wallbash:

Just keep rollin' and eventually get the vibe. On the way, you'll learn new variations with your spin.

I've been playing string instruments for about 35 years.

I suck.

That proves that practice pays off. I used to be much worse. :rock:

Yes, I think the learning will never end. I think it's good to constantly challenge yourself.

made the most sense about describing music then i have ever heard, and more sense then what i jz wrote...

i kinda hate hey there delilah, i've watched every weekly lesson apart from this 1, but if theres a difficult strumming pattern involved!

then ima watch it now

I've been playing string instruments for about 35 years.

I suck.

That proves that practice pays off. I used to be much worse. :rock:

Zactly! Me Too! just not that long.

with guitar i just learned chords and a simple strum.
also learned mario but now i forget how to play it.

but for some reason im more driven to practice the uke. ive learned chunking, three handed chunking, and now im moving on to harmonics.

i think its cause everyone at my church plays guitar... but no one plays the uke. i was "average" on the guitar... and i want to be the only one that ukes!
it'll be totally easier to get the ladies! :D

[...] ive learned chunking, three handed chunking, and now im moving on to harmonics [...]

Three handed chunking? Three handed chunking?! Dammit, I only have two hands... WTF kind of chance does that give me? :mad:

[muttering] stinkin' shrunken guitar piece of firewood crap... didn' wanna learn anyway... [/muttering]

Top Bottom