NUD: Kale Elite Custom Tenor

OhioBelle

Reaction score
I've been holding out on you guys. My new baby has been home since Wednesday-eve and I'm just getting around to the NUD post. This one is such a game-changer for me, I felt as if this particular NUD post had greater significance. I needed time to do it justice.

I also wanted to get better pics in natural light, but western Ohio's moody autumn weather isn't cooperating. So I am including the HMS link so you can see their beauty shots, and hear/see the video of the fabulous Kalei playing a sample.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-usa-custom-tenor-4custom-t-spruce-top-lebanese-cedar.html

(BTW, anyone know the melody? Is it from Polani?)

So - why is this uke my game-changer? It has clarified for me what sort of player I desperately want to be. I reserve the right to strum happily on a soprano, but this low-G tenor is precisely the sound I've heard in my head. Chord-melody, fingerstyle, I am ready to learn.

There has been great debate about the brand-name on this headstock. In fact, one of those debates led me to this uke. I will be forever grateful to have stumbled upon that post, and happy that I took a deep breath and jumped. I now own a spectacular instrument that is way above my ability at the moment, but that inspires me to strive to be worthy. Everything about it seems perfect - the weight (lighter than my Pono), the silky spruce, the glowing ember color of the Padauk, the fibrous grain of the Live Oak (State Tree of my home in Georgia!), the pink and cream swirls of the Lebanese Cedar, and the voice - oh the voice! the rich lingering sustain combined with the intoxicating smell coming from the sound hole to make me swoon! I am a professed sniffer of sound holes, so this smokey scent of pine resin mixed with warm cedar was an unexpected bonus.

What IS this stuff, Lebanese Cedar, used on the back and sides rather than the soundboard?

Here are a few pics I took upon unboxing. You will note the ubiquitous presence of Chief of the BCIS (Bengal Cat Inspection Squad).

IMG_5175.jpgIMG_5177.jpgIMG_5181.jpgIMG_5179.jpgIMG_5173.jpg

I love the warm rich tone of this uke. It's a beautiful uke but I listen for the sound and this uke has it.

To add to the nice sound is a lovely instrument. Congratulation on your new uke. I hope it inspires you to practice and play better.

Awesome! Congrats on a very fine ukulele!!

Can't have a box and a cat without the latter ending up in the former in no time. :) Always love it when you get a new uke: adorable cat pics!

Congrats on the new ukulele!

Beautiful! And I love the sound.
And the cat is beautiful too!

Enjoy the great ukulele.

I remember seeing the link to this being posted a couple weeks ago, and then being almost instantly bought by you. Glad it showed up and you are enjoying it. It sure does sound and look good.

Congratulations, you made a great pick! I also enjoyed reading your acquisition story in the "head count" thread.

We talked about this ukulele and you know how much I love the sound. Congratulations on buying a very special instrument. You have discovered what a world class ukulele is all about and how it can change and inspire you. I am also a died in the wool sound hole sniffer and a great aromatic scent is like icing on the cake.

I will have to admit, my eyebrows raised quite high when I saw that Kala was coming out with their Elite series. I had no idea who would pay that much for a Kala vs a traditional "K" brand. But WOW!!! The sound of your ukulele is amazing!! I closed my eyes and just enjoyed the melody that was being played. This ukulele is worth every penny! Congratulations on your new addition! It is absolutely beautiful!

Congrats. Glad to see you are so happy with your new uke. Playing a uke you love makes you want to pick it up more and learn new things. (or that is the case with me)
You made a great purchase.

Congrats. Absolutely love the sound on that uke. I dont know the song that Kalei is playing, but I dont recall it being on Polani.

The Lebanese cedar is beautiful. A stunning uke that is many levels above my current playing ability, but hopefully someday. Enjoy!

Thank you all so much! This uke is definitely above my current level, but I am so incredibly moved and inspired by her beautiful voice. It's magical.

Ahhhhh, such a lovely uke! You picked good! I haven't played an Elite Series yet, but hopefully someone will bring some to TBUG next month. And I get to try them before they're gone, like last year!
Never think a uke is beyond you. Sneak up on it!
Love the kitty!

Thank you Nickie! I love that "Sneak up on it!"

Sounds more like something my cat Fiero would do, so I'll try to take a page from his book.

I mentioned that it's lighter weight than the Pono. I definitely know what the words "responsive top" mean, now. I can do as little as BREATHE on it and feel it vibrate.

Top Bottom