Soprano bark in a concert uke

ukulately

Reaction score
Just wondered if people knew of something similar to the Auenue 1879, in a concert size. I absolutely love the sound of this thing - it has such a range of sounds depending on how you play - but think I would prefer a concert size instrument. The concert ukes I have played seem to lose the soprano bark or throatiness or whatever. I have an Ohana CK50g, which is beautiful thing in its own right but it certainly doesn't have that soprano bitey vibe to the sound. It doesn't have the personality of the 1879.
Any ideas? Maybe a super soprano floating around somewhere ... The Anuenue 1879 does have a very particular quality to it, so I might be chasing a dream.

mmm ... anything contemporary? Not sure that I want to disappear down that rabbit hole.
How's the new Martin C1K ?

What is it about a concert that interests you? The extra space on the fretboard? If that is the case, have you looked at a long neck soprano? This would have a concert scale on a soprano body. I know KoAloha makes a long neck (they even have a tenor neck on a soprano body). That may have a closer tone/bark of your 1879 while giving you more fretboard space.

Yeah, a long neck sop is on the radar for sure - more so than a concert even. More fretboard space is indeed the consideration. I think even a wider neck could make a difference. I have played a bruko and there was more room already on that instrument, for example. Not a bad sound either - pretty short sustain though.

David Newton in Beaumont built just what you're likely looking for. If I'm not mistaken he's made fully ornamented Diaz adorned longneck Sopranos as well as unadorned instruments of the same general form.

You might have to talk him into it. I think he kind of soured on the relative low price of Ukuleles versus Guitars. Nonetheless, it was obvious he had an affinity for the old style "barking" Sopranos, and he did some with your longer neck.

Pre World War II Martin Concert.
Do the newer Martins get in the ballpark? From the few demos I've heard online, they seem more pure/perfect/sweet or whatever. It's a bit hard to gauge this stuff though.

Look for a longneck pineapple. Don't know your price point, but if you can reach to a KoAloha l/n pineapple you'll be golden.

Look for a longneck pineapple. Don't know your price point, but if you can reach to a KoAloha l/n pineapple you'll be golden.

+1 This is probably your best bet if you can afford it. Mainland cedar long neck pineapple soprano would be a good budget option for what you're looking for if the KoAloha is beyond your set spending limit.

Is the "bark" from a soprano due to the size of the body or the scale length (and resultant tension) of the strings? If its the body size, the concert necked soprano is the way to go. If its the scale length, then a wider fingerboard is the solution. Or it is some secret sauce that was in a vintage martin, its all about how the uke is put together. Here's some options that I'm aware of:

The flea from Magic Fluke can also be purchased as a concern neck on a soprano body.

If you're looking for a wider neck on a standard soprano, Kanilea or Islander (Kanilea's asian built line) are a great option - I love the feel and playability of their neck.

If you're looking for a vintage martin made recently, I've heard Kiwaya makes the closest thing on the market.

The Flea/Fluke doesn't really appeal to me but if I get the chance I'll try one.
Kanilea wasn't on the radar because of cost but I should look into the Islannder ukes - I didn't know they had a wider neck. that could be good.
Kiwaya looks like a great brand too, I'll look into that.
I'll keep practising in the mean time! That sound is so endearing so I might just have to get better.

KoAloha Long Neck Soprano kicks a lot of sound and barks nicely.

+1 This is probably your best bet if you can afford it. Mainland cedar long neck pineapple soprano would be a good budget option for what you're looking for if the KoAloha is beyond your set spending limit.
Second on the Mainland Longneck Pineapple Soprano...........Good woof for the bark

Top Bottom