NVUD - Martin 2K (1927 - 1931)

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Having really regretted selling the Laughlin 2K, I have had my eyes out for a special "traditional" soprano. I took a gamble on this vintage 2K on eBay. I wasn't sure I'd even bid but inside the last minute I bid one increment above the then-prevailing bid. I was shocked -- almost worried -- when I got it. I am a picky S.O.B. and vintage is not usually my thing. Pristine is. Uh-oh. Did I make a mistake?

Well, it turns out to be pretty spectacular. There are no cracks or significant scratches. The worst "issue" is some fingerboard wear. I took it to David Neely who has worked on some incredibly rare instruments and asked what he thought. He exclaimed, "Wow! Wow! Don't do anything to this! It's amazing. Don't let anybody touch it!" He told me he had several collectors who would likely buy it "at almost any cost" if I chose not to keep it. That was somewhat reassuring that I didn't just make a stoopid mistake. Well, at least not a really stoopid one. ;-)

The case smells old and musty, so I need to leave it in the sun. I'll probably put it away and get one of HMS' new cases. I'm just waiting for Andrew to confirm it'll fit. I'm thinking this one would be da bomb:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/acces...hed-top-hardshell-wood-case-cognac-suede.html

I plan to put some Worth Browns on it and give it a whirl this weekend. Here are some pics:

WOW!

(and extra words to that effect so the post will be accepted)

That's gorgeous! I'd recommend some Martin strings. Those new cases are nice...

Thanks, @kkimura and @ukerdanno.

@Ukerdanno, I don't care for the Martin M600's. I've tried them on several prior ukes, including S3 Cherry, Laughlin 2K and others. The Browns sounded best on my Laughlin 2K, so I'm hopeful that's a good start here. But if I don't like them, maybe I'll try the M600's again.

Thanks, @kkimura and @ukerdanno.

@Ukerdanno, I don't care for the Martin M600's. I've tried them on several prior ukes, including S3 Cherry, Laughlin 2K and others. The Browns sounded best on my Laughlin 2K, so I'm hopeful that's a good start here. But if I don't like them, maybe I'll try the M600's again.

Eddie, I don't know you to be picky!!! ROTFL

I would put Worth Clears on it as I would like to hear the true tone of it. Those strings look TOO THICK. What are they?

But seriously ... that is ONE FINE LOOKING UKULELE!!!!! Wow! Congrats.

With a blessing like that from David Neely saying "wow, wow, wow", I'd say you did real good with your first vintage. It certainly is beautiful and I am sure it sounds great too. Congratulations Eddie.

I'm with Simon on not knowing you to be picky :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Can I ask, ballpark figure, what something like this sells for on eBay?

Congrats on the find. I am hoping to go on a trip to Pennsylvania to see the Martin museum.

My local music store has a Martin soprano on display. I'm not usually a soprano player (I only own one, a Ukadelic, not counting the two ukulele my kids have) but every time I pick up that ukulele I can't believe the sound (there is another Martin soprano that doesn't sound as good). And that model is NOT this vintage Martin.

Congrats again!

That is absolutely stunning. Congratulations on a special ukulele.

The case looks great. If you buy it, give us a review.

@OhioBelle, will do on case review. Hoping to have it next week.

@DownUpDave and @Sam13, "Me, picky? Hey, I resemble that!" ;-)

@ChoirGuy, this one was a bit over $1,700 shipped. A lot of dough, for sure. But I think given the condition, there is little risk of losing much money if I decide to part with it.

Great catch! If I'd were to own a soprano, I'd surely be proud to have that one.

I think you probably stole it! What a honey!! :drool:

Beautiful! I have one also and your case looks just like the one mine came in. I would recommend that you get a new case and set the original aside. The case takes most of the wear and tear, as well as those old latches risk popping open and the ukulele falling out. I would think that the ukulele itself would have a higher resale value with the original case, though I could be wrong.

The reason I bought my 2k (age appears to be around 1925, based on the Martin ukulele book), is that it just sounded so much better than ANY new soprano ukulele I tried. I just wanted one of each soprano, concert, and tenor. I just could not find a soprano that I liked the sound of until this old Martin. I tried the new Martin soprano ukuleles, Collings, Kamaka, and several other brands. None have THAT sound! For some reason, I could find nice sounding concert and tenor ukuleles among the new high makers, but not sopranos. Mine is really also in pristine condition.

Tony

Last edited:
Top Bottom