PDA

View Full Version : Bridge blank- Cocobolo

Ukemakinmecrazy
10-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Check this baby out. Going to try to make a pin bridge out of it.

Any advice? Or maybe even a string placement template?

Dan Gleibitz
10-06-2016, 02:59 AM
Nice. What size/shape of uke are you planning to build?

Rrgramps
10-06-2016, 04:03 AM
That will look nice. Hope to see your build progress. Don't hold back. LOL

Ukemakinmecrazy
10-07-2016, 07:03 AM

Shooting for a tenor Uke using the Hana Lima 'IA book as my main guide, but watching a ton of You Tube as well. Hoping to make one my granddaughter can play one day (She is only a year and a half old at this point).

This is my first attempt at building a bridge and I think I just realized my first mistake, or at least something I could have done that would have made this a little easier. I should have cut the saddle slot in before I scroll sawed the shape out. I did think to drill the pin holes before cutting, don't know why I didn't think of the saddle. DOOOOH!

Looked at a bunch of clipart for inspiration then sketched my own turtle shape. Not bad eh?

Is there generally a bias here against bridges shaped like animals or whatever? Just curious.
I have been involved in other hobbies where people who consider themselves purists frown on anything that isn't classic and traditional.

Kekani
10-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Is there generally a bias here against bridges shaped like animals or whatever? Just curious.

I have been involved in other hobbies where people who consider themselves purists frown on anything that isn't classic and traditional.
The bridge is a brace. In some instruments, it's the ONLY brace.

I would think most of the craftsmen in the Lounge view the bridge from a functional perspective, rather than form. Then design form in while maintaining function.

Alternatively, I'd imagine Kasha designed bridges, while nicely shaped, have function before form, especially based on how the bridge patch is designed. Question is whether the patch is designed like that because of the bridge, or the bridge shaped because of the patch. That's for Eric to address.

If your shape (animal or whatever) doesn't take away from your inherent planned function of the bridge, you should be fine.

Ukemakinmecrazy
10-07-2016, 12:08 PM

Coming along nicely. I hope the function is there. Measurements were taken carefully and it will be a string through the top pin bridge.

Ukemakinmecrazy
10-07-2016, 12:55 PM
I think it will look great on this cherry set I just bought.

photoshooter
10-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Looking good! And I agree that the cherry will make a good combo.

Ukemakinmecrazy
10-12-2016, 09:51 AM

Not perfect, bot not too bad for my first try.

Timbuck
10-12-2016, 11:07 AM

looked at a bunch of clipart for inspiration then sketched my own turtle shape. Not bad eh?

No bias at all ! i love the tutle shape;)
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/turtle%20bridge_zpsgtixypwu.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/turtle%20bridge_zpsgtixypwu.jpg.html)

Ukemakinmecrazy
10-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Saw this one when I was deciding. It was a big part of my inspiration. looks great.