The Timms effect

greenscoe

Reaction score
I visited Ken Timms a couple of weeks ago. As a result of that visit, I set about building my first long necked soprano. It was made with a mould I produced 2 yrs ago and have used for only 1 standard soprano. The box internals are mostly in accordance with the Grellier plans (as found on the internet).

The sides are made of sapele and the top /back are made of mahogany which I was given by Ken. It has maple binding with walnut purfling on the top and back. The neck is of meranti with a eucalyptus head veneer. It’s the first time I’ve used pegs on an instrument.

As usual it has a tapered dovetail neck joint. After my chat with Mrs T, I’ve adopted the Timms method of assembly/finishing: the box/neck were glued together after being finished separately in shellac/Tru-Oil. I need more practice and patience in this area.

Ken’s instruments are very light, loud and have great tone. I thinned the sides/top to 1.6 mm and the back to 1.8 mm (a little thicker than Martin/Timms-I erred on the side of caution). I now have Wagner Safe-T-planer and Pete Howlett type sander so achieving this is much quicker and easier than previously. I’ve also used a thinner and flatter profile neck than normal after seeing Ken’s instruments.

This instrument is loud and clear with some sustain. It has good tone and is balanced across the strings: I am very happy with the way it sounds. Despite my liking for tenors, I think this instrument is one that will get played regularly.

sop1.jpgsop2.jpgsop3.jpgsop4.jpgsop5.jpg

Wow, only a couple of weeks to build that good looking uke! I've been working on a no frills teardrop soprano for over a month and it won't be done for another week or so.

Bob

You are beginning to see Paduan! Ukulele making is more than following a plan or exploring an idea... it is building as close to the edge of destruction as you can!

Thanks for the positive comments.

Vespa Bob: I'm impatient, so once I start, it's all about completing. The build was complete by day 8, I then spent a week messing about with the finish!

Pete Howlett: 'You are beginning to see Paduan!'...... after consulting Google, I think that may be a positive remark ....its not an expression that appears to be much used.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Vespa Bob: I'm impatient, so once I start, it's all about completing. The build was complete by day 8, I then spent a week messing about with the finish!

Pete Howlett: 'You are beginning to see Paduan!'...... after consulting Google, I think that may be a positive remark ....its not an expression that appears to be much used.
Thats a person who was born in Padua north Italy..init ;)

Padawan? No?

Top Bottom