I cant see the join

Timbuck

Reaction score
Pete Howlett gifted me a reclaimed "Cuban Mahogany Concert size set" a few weeks ago..He jointed the top and back plates before he shipped them.. I had a devil of a job trying to locate the centre seams as once sanded they were almost invisible but with the use of a magnifier I manage to locate them and use them as the centre line...The uke is now completed and now that the finish is on the seams have totaly gone... Thanks for the wood Pete..It made a great instrument.

Last edited:
...and he uses a hand plane/shooting board; I think. I forgot his method and jig used to pull the joint seam together.

Thanks Ken - When I have returned to normal I'll redo the video showing the methods I have used for edge jointing and the one I currently use that produces those hard to find seams... especially hard in uniform wood like mahogany and spruce. As a safety measure we slightly offset the join so we can easily locate the centre. BTW - nice job Ken :)

Of course, if the join is invisible there's no need to use it as the centre line, is there? But I rarely have that option, and then only if the grain is helping me out.

Top Bottom