Easy Keys on Uke and Acoustic Guitar

zztush

Reaction score
image url

The above figure shows the easy keys on ukulele and guitar. C (red circle) is the easiest key on our ukulele, and F and G are also easy keys. I've explained it in previous thread. On the other hand, E is the most easy key on acoustic guitar according to GONTITTI who is acoustic guitar duo in Japan. C, G, D, and A are also often used keys. They say that "#" keys are easy to play on acoustic guitar.
Apparently we can not directly compare between red and green because the sources are different. But this may explain one of the reason why uke easier is.

I guess it depends on the tuning............I suspect that you are comparing traditional tunings.

Well, considering that those three keys are also where I sing the best, it works. But as far as easier, what makes them easier?

Well, considering that those three keys are also where I sing the best, it works. But as far as easier, what makes them easier?

Presumably cos you get a preponderance of easily formed basic chords in those keys (on a standard tuned uke). And on that basis I agree with uke1950 that you could include A and D. A D chord might be slightly (but really only slightly) trickier to form but since your I-IV-V progression in D is D-G-A I would say that makes it a pretty user-friendly key to play in.

Presumably cos you get a preponderance of easily formed basic chords in those keys (on a standard tuned uke). And on that basis I agree with uke1950 that you could include A and D. A D chord might be slightly (but really only slightly) trickier to form but since your I-IV-V progression in D is D-G-A I would say that makes it a pretty user-friendly key to play in.
I agree with D. For me it depends a lot on the song, but I have a few in my playlist that are in the key of D. It works for me particularly in songs with a slower tempo.

Well, considering that those three keys are also where I sing the best, it

works. But as far as easier, what makes them easier?

They are easily formed basic chord as jollyboy said, and I explain it in Which key is easy to play? thread.

C, F and G major scales and their relative minor scales (Am, Dm and Em) take advantage of ukulele's open strings. In guitar, there are two E strings (1st and 6th). E major scale and its relative minor scale (C#m) should take most advantage of guitar's open strings.

I really prefer ukulele's key advantage than guitar's advantage. It is more simple and bright to me and it is related to ukulele sound to me.

To paraphrase that well-known movie star ... " easy is as easy does" ... six sharps sounds very similar to the Klingon translation of "get a capo" ;)

Top Bottom