Safe T planer question

Ukemakinmecrazy

Reaction score
I saw in one advertisement for this, that it is good for unjoined tops and backs. Does that mean a glued joint will be problematic? Will it work fine on a joined top or back?

Thanks

I took mine down to 2mm with the safeTplaner, then joined and sanded the last by hand.

I prefer to do any joinery before thinning, but if the plate becomes too large the column of the drill press will get in the way before the whole plate is thinned with the Safe-t-planer. Not a deal breaker, but a PITA.

I prefer to do any joinery before thinning.

Ditto. I join back/top plates as i recieve them (about 5mmish, unless its from stew mac then its about freakin .090") With my current sander, i have to be careful that i don't heat up the joined back/tops as it might weaken the glue joint- but that is more my sander sucking in various ways then the technique of joining thick plates.

I join the plates then thin with the Safety Planer. I do have a problem on guitar size woods where I can't reach the middle of the lower bought. Just not enough distance between the drill press column and the chuck. Ukes are small enough to get the whole thing under the planer.

I saw in one advertisement for this, that it is good for unjoined tops and backs. Does that mean a glued joint will be problematic? Will it work fine on a joined top or back?

Thanks
Me too! I asked it earlier, and still don't have an answer because I don't know if anyone on this forum has plowed through a glue joint with their Safe-T-Planer.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...en-things-go-your-way-)&p=1879750#post1879750

I recently purchased a Stew Mac version, and intend to test the aggressiveness of it on a glue joint. Stay tuned. ;)

------------
EDIT: Oops, spent too long writing; ksquine has done such, and said; "Ukes are small enough to get the whole thing under the planer".

Yay!

My floor press has a 12-inch swing aka, 6-inch throat. 10-inch wide panels should be feasible.

Last edited:
Pretty close to 6-1/2" from the halfway mark; plentiful for Ukulele's.

This is a Hana Lima 'la back plate showing that the Safe-T-Planer goes past the center of a tenor plate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom