New Strings for KALA KA-SLNG

crys_monk

Reaction score
Hi okay well I decided I wanted to change my Kala long neck soprano strings to some Aquila white nylgut strings. I have already changed out my Kala Tenor stock strings to Aquila white nylgut strings awesome sound. But my question for this post is... Which strings do I get, the Concert Strings or the Soprano strings. :confused:

I thought the Kala long neck soprano was a tenor scale, which would be wanting a set of tenor strings. I may be wrong about which scale it is though. You're gonna have to measure and compare it with the tenor vs concert scale to determine the appropriate strings.

well i heard that it has a 13 1/2" scale length. Should i try the soprano strings?

well i heard that it has a 13 1/2" scale length. Should i try the soprano strings?

Soprano scale is generally 14" (AFAIK), so if it's a long neck it's gotta be longer than that. I'd get a measuring tape out to check it out or compare it with your tenor.

Last edited:
hey. i'm about to restring my uke for the first time as i got deached some concert ko'olau golds :D my uke's a soprano - can i still do this? do i just cut off the extra length?

oh yeah, and sorry for jumpin on this thread! i used the search function and this seemed like the best thread to use rather than creating an entirely new one just for a yes or no answer :shaka:

lol dats kew but I went to a uke shop and they said it was ok to use a concert on a Soprano but an odd thing they mentioned they told me that u can use tenor strings on a soprano. I didn't kno whether to believe him or not but he said they work too :p

tenor strings on a soprano

I often take the old strings off my tenor and put them on my soprano. A lot of people will probably think I'm stupid for doing this, but if you don't completely wear the strings out it actually works really well especially because they are already stretched out.

The truth is you can use any strings on any instrument, just make sure the tension isn't too high- the string gauge is the thing you really need to look at, not the lenghth. In a pinch I've even used low tension classical guitar strings once or twice, they honestly kind of suck but if you need strings and you play the uke, sometimes you have to take what you can get.

hey. i'm about to restring my uke for the first time as i got deached some concert ko'olau golds :D my uke's a soprano - can i still do this? do i just cut off the extra length?

yah. That's what I do all the time. I never buy soprano sized strings in case one of my concerts breaks a string and I need a quick replacement. Either cut the strings or have a cat chew off the ends after restringing.

Top Bottom