GL6 owners: Anyone tried light FC guitar strings?

Mivo

Reaction score
I love the sound of the Kanile'a GL6 guitarlele, but I struggle a bit with enjoying the unwound nylon strings, in particular the C string. The transition from the three wound to the three plain nylon strings is noticeable, more so than with plain fluorocarbon strings.

I tried D'Addario Folk Nylon strings on the GL6, which I believe have normal string tension, and the tension was too high for me (I feel for the GL6 also). I like the tension of the Kanile'a GL6 strings and would ideally like to find something made of fluorocarbon that has about the same tension (whatever that is - it seems impossible to get any actual information on the Kanile'a GL6 strings; they look exactly like the Folk Nylons, ball ends included, but the tension is different).

Has anyone with a GL6 (Islander or Kanile'a) tried LIGHT/soft tension guitar strings made of fluorocarbon on their instrument and can share their experience? Especially in comparison to the original GL6 strings as far as tension (but also tone and intonation) is concerned?

Would Requinto strings be an option?

Requintos are around 540 mm scale length, terz guitars fall into that area too. Requinto is usually tuned to A, the terz a tone lower to G. So it all depends what you are putting them on and at what pitch/tension you wish to play at. Strings are available individually, so it's easy to make up a set with characteristics that you want. Buying them individually is more expensive though. There are some online string calculators that are useful for determining gauge, pitch, tension etc. I use Arto's string calculator. Of course you don't have to tune to A or G, F#, G#, A# or even B is possible. I even tuned my version of a guitalele down to E but it has a slightly longer scale length than the Yamaha one. The strings were a little on the low tension side though.

Top Bottom