Mya-Moe or Kanilea KSDLX?

CheeseSandwich

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :),

Just last month I was fortunate enough to get on the last few build spots for Mya-Moe Ukulele. I ordered a Tenor with Sitka Spruce top and Koa Back and Sides. I really love this combination of tonewoods and am excited for it to arrive in 2018. Although it is a long wait, I think it will be well worth it judging by the positive reviews on the forum thus far.

However, just the other day as I was browsing through the forum, someone mentioned a Kanilea KSDLX: a spruce top Kanilea with Koa back and sides. I listened to as many sound samples as I could on HMS and it sounded wonderful. This made me really question if I should wait the 19 months for a Mya-Moe or not. I have tried a handful of Kanilea ukuleles in my local music stores (never the KSDLX though) and I have enjoyed the clear notes, warm tone, and long sustain. I can clearly see why this K brand ukulele is so coveted.

So my question is, should I wait for the Mya-Moe in 2018 (especially since they won't take custom orders from now on)? Or should I just get the Kanilea KSDLX? Any help/advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Tough choice! Any way for you to find someone local with a MM with similar build? Really going to have to go down to playing for yourself if possible.

Hi Recstar24,

I looked on the Mya-Moe website and under their enthusiasts tab I found their Mya-Moe Map. Some ukes were sent to cities about an hour or so away from me. I will ask Gordon and Char if there is anything closer. Thank you for the advice!

Tricky. I think in your situation I would go for both, if you can manage it financially. You would have the Kanile'a right away, and by the time you get your Mya Moe, you'd have a lot of experience with it under your belt already. Then you could decide which to keep, if you only wanted one of the two. I wouldn't give up the reservation.

This Kanile'a arrived last Thursday. I custom ordered it a little over 8 weeks ago. It is a K3 with a few options so they labeled the model as "custom". I'll get some proper photos soon. The Koa sides and back are just as nice as the Bear Claw Sitka Spruce soundboard. I believe the premium wood option resulted in some stunning spruce.

Last edited:
Tricky. I think in your situation I would go for both, if you can manage it financially. You would have the Kanile'a right away, and by the time you get your Mya Moe, you'd have a lot of experience with it under your belt already. Then you could decide which to keep, if you only wanted one of the two. I wouldn't give up the reservation.

Hey Mivo,

I wish I could afford both. Unfortunately I cannot. Your idea would be the most ideal situation though. Thank you.

This Kanile'a arrived last Thursday. I custom ordered it a little over 8 weeks ago. It is a K3 with a few options so they labeled the model as "custom". I'll get some proper photos soon. The Koa sides and back are just as nice as the Bear Claw Sitka Spruce soundboard. I believe the premium wood option resulted in some stunning spruce.

Hi Biedmatt,

Wow. Stunning ukulele to say the least. That bearclaw is gorgeous! And only a two month wait? Thank you for sharing.

How do you like the sound of it? Since it is spruce top and koa back and sides, it pretty much should have the same tonal qualities as the KSDLX. Could you describe your opinion of the uke?

Wow, the bearclaw in that sitka is awesome! Congratulations! Will you be swapping those stock strings to something else?

Hi Cheese. I'd get the Kanile'a, but keep your MyaMoe build slot. If you get the Kanilea and you love it you're done. Give up the slot. Or, You could play the Kanilea and sell it when your MyaMoe is ready. Realize you'll lose 20-30% or more if you sell it.

Unfortunately, it arrived the very day I left for a business convention, so I have not looked at it myself. These are iPhone pics my office took when it arrived. I will finally see it in person Wednesday. My son will see and play it tomorrow and has been instructed to provide full details. I ordered it low G, but I dislike wound strings, so I have some Aquila reds and Living Waters strings to try on it.

Matt

It might not matter to you, but don't forget the MM has a radius neck with a 1 3/8" nut while the Kanile'a will have a flat fretboard with 1.5" nut. (You can order the MM with a 1.5" nut though) I had a Collings with a similar neck to the MM and I actually prefer the neck of the Kanile'a I have now...just food for thought, both are awesome!

It might not matter to you, but don't forget the MM has a radius neck with a 1 3/8" nut while the Kanile'a will have a flat fretboard with 1.5" nut. (You can order the MM with a 1.5" nut though) I had a Collings with a similar neck to the MM and I actually prefer the neck of the Kanile'a I have now...just food for thought, both are awesome!

You can get a flat neck on the MM as well.

Hi Cheese. I'd get the Kanile'a, but keep your MyaMoe build slot. If you get the Kanilea and you love it you're done. Give up the slot. Or, You could play the Kanilea and sell it when your MyaMoe is ready. Realize you'll lose 20-30% or more if you sell it.

Hi Doc_J

Mivo mentioned very similar advice. It probably will be a while before I can afford a Kanilea so I will have to wait for now. Since both of you mentioned this idea of going for both and selling one, I may do that one day. Thanks.

Unfortunately, it arrived the very day I left for a business convention, so I have not looked at it myself. These are iPhone pics my office took when it arrived. I will finally see it in person Wednesday. My son will see and play it tomorrow and has been instructed to provide full details. I ordered it low G, but I dislike wound strings, so I have some Aquila reds and Living Waters strings to try on it.

Matt

I see Matt. I am sure your son will enjoy it! Please let me know if you get the chance! :)

Tough decision. I like the nut width (1 1/2") and neck style of the Kanile'a. On the other hand, MM's can be customized. I have a Kanile'a and have had a couple of MM's, and the Kanile'a is just more comfortable to play for me...........but they are both premium high quality instruments.

That's a good consideration to think about Baird. I will keep that in mind the next time I try another Kanilea. Thank you!

I've owned Kanile'as and a Mya Moe.
Mya Moe. Not even close.

The spruce/koa combo on that KSDLX model makes for a very special Kanile'a...especially for the price.

I'm very happy with mine.

In my experience, having tried a few of each but never owned one, MM has slightly better playability, and Kanilea has a better sound. So if one of those characteristics is more important to you than the other, get the one with that.

PS I agree on that bear claw spruce pic - wow!

You obviously know Mya Moe is shutting down it's buisness and you are lucky to be on the build list. Get the MM as it will be much more valuable down the road. Supply and demand.

Top Bottom