The *best* tuner???

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am looking for a clip-on tuner that is NOT overly susceptible to overtones. In other words, the needle doesn't flutter around a lot.

The tuner I seek should be NON-strobe, high accuracy, & cost $35 or less.

The one I have my eyes on at the moment is the Boss TU-10 at Amazon. It claims to offer "flat tuning up to 5 semitones, and Stream mode".

I would greatly appreciate answers to the following questions:

• Which tuner would you recommend me to get?
  • What is "flat tuning" & WHY would someone want to tune a uke to be .. uh ... flat?
  • What is "stream mode"?
  • If you have experience with the Boss TU-10, is it really really good?

Snark for about 1/3 the price should be just fine...unless you are really, really picky and have a really sharp ear.

A while ago I bought the same tuner I already had, just as a backup. One of those $5 clip-on tuners (Eno ET-33). The one I had bought almost four years ago is substantially better: picks up notes noticeably faster and responds to changes quickly. The identical model I bought this year is rather sluggish. Both have new batteries. So, apparently not all tuners are the same, even if they are the same model and brand.

I also bought one of those D'Addario Micro tuners (more expensive here: €32 for two). Those work well too, but they are so small that I would probably lose them if I didn't keep them permanently on the uke. :)

I also have a PolyTune, and I think it is overpriced, at least when you use it with ukuleles.

Last edited:
My experience with many tuners is that even the same new ones are hit and miss. I have about 10 MicroTuners, some are right on, some have a delay before they hit the note, some waver around the note, but because they're so compact, I prefer to use them. I also have 4 of the D'Addario flip up models, which tend to be more accurate, but are big and cumbersome.

Always an interesting thread. I prefer the istrobosoft on my iPhone for its great precision but it's inconvenient during a performance and impossible during a group play along. After a pursuit of this question on the Mandolin Cafe I ultimately ended up with the TC Electronic PolyTune Clip-on.

With industrious searching you might be able to find one within your budget.

For me, the idea of "good enough for a ukulele" can be way off base. It depends on your sensitivity. But with the Ukulele's seriously fore-shortened strings, perfect tuning can be important. It is to me. Also, a ukulele needs tuning more often than just about any other stringed instrument. The more convenient and accurate the tuner, the easier this chore can be and the more likely I am to enjoy it. The only down side to accuracy is the expense. The TC poly tune has a wonderful display that's fast, accurate, and easy to use.

Snark for about 1/3 the price should be just fine...unless you are really, really picky . . ..
I am really REALLY picky -- a tuning freak/junkie.

Thus far this thread has gotten me some excellent ideas to look into. 10Q very much!

My main tuner is a Snark SN6, the one I will grab out of preference; I also have a couple of cheaper 'Ukulology' tuners which work, but are a bit slow, & not as easy to use.
(I would buy another Snark, if I needed another tuner.)

get one on ebay from China. for a few bucks. tuners are tuners are tuners. let your ear do the rest.

I know a professional guitar tech who uses the latest model Snark for setups. Meanwhile, his Peterson is gathering dust.

I have a Snark and an Intelitouch. Both are good. However I prefer to tune one string, G or C and then tune the uke to itself.

I own 2 of the Boss tuners you are asking about. I was given one by a shop. I liked it so much I bought another. Its as accurate as a clip on tuner can be and the screen is easy to read. The reading will still swing around a little sometimes. Not always. That's just a result of it being accurate. I had a tuner that did give a stable reading but I soon learn't that the stability of the reading was at the expense of the accuracy of the reading.

I don't play around with the different modes so I can't comment on them. Each increment is 2 cents which is as accurate s you are going to get on a headstock tuner. I would recommend them.

I haven't used the "flat" mode, but I had a quick look, and what it seems to do is, you set the tuner to 1 step flat, and the tuner will TUNE to F#, but Read G. Its for Guitarists who want to detune their guitars for Metal or heavy Rock but are confused by the detuned pitches. So, the tuner will SHOW E,A,D,G,B,E, but really be tuned D#,G#,C#,F#,A#,D#.

Anthony

Last edited:
I have a half dozen or so tuners of various types. I find one is about as good as the next but then I'm not so picky. I like the d'Addario Micro as it stays on the uke, and I find the Snark eats batteries considerably faster than any of the others.

I haven't used the "flat" mode, but I had a quick look, and what it seems to do is, you set the tuner to 1 step flat, and the tuner will TUNE to F#, but Read G. Its for Guitarists who want to detune their guitars for Metal or heavy Rock but are confused by the detuned pitches. So, the tuner will SHOW E,A,D,G,B,E, but really be tuned D#,G#,C#,F#,A#,D#.

Okay, so it's for metalheads who get confused easily. That makes sense :)

Edit: Also, I vote Snark.

Last edited:
I use a Snark. I bought it when I first started playing. If I never misfretted or picked the wrong string or dropped to the wrong line and lost my place, I'd get a better one.

I did buy a $20 Kala, I don't like it and never use it. I'm gonna put its battery in the Snark when necessary. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
D'Addario (Planet Waves) NS Micro tuners. I use them on guitars, bass, ukes & mandolin. They are super small & light weight & priced right.

An interesting sidenote...the D'Addario "NS" headstock tuners were designed by Ned Steinberger. He is best known for designing guitars without headstocks.

Last edited:
I like the d'Adario micro tuners and leave them on permanently. After using the tuner, I still like to do a backup finessing check by ear by plucking adjacent strings in unison at the appropriate frets to check for beat frequencies. And because I use nylon strings, I have to retune once the strings are warmed up a bit. An extra step but I find it worth it for the sweet tone...

I like the new Snark Model HZ. It's 40 smaller overall than the standard snark tuner. Brighter read out. Very stable for tuning. They fix the weak point on snark's which is the ball joint connect. When you're last snark ukulele tuner pooches, I will get another one. I have lots of other tuners. Two different Korg, the small micro tuner mentioned above and only the $14.95 Oaho scoop on that HMS sell even comes close to the new Snark HZ and it's only $21.95
My .02 cents worth.

The TC poly tune has a wonderful display that's fast, accurate, and easy to use.

I actually find the display harder to read than on most tuners I have tried, but that only shows that different folks have different preferences. One of the PolyTune's highlights is that you can tune all six strings in one strum, and that no doubts adds to the price. It is a feature that is entirely wasted for use with a ukulele, because it doesn't work with this instrument. This is why I said I feel it is overpriced, especially for a ukulele. I tested accuracy/speed with both my $5 tuner and the $50 PolyTune clipped on the instrument. Both showed me the same information equally fast. It's possible that my $5 tuner is a particular good specimen, seeing as the duplicate I bought isn't working as well, but still, I don't see anything that justifies a ten times higher price other that one is designed in Denmark and the other a no-name product from China.

Top Bottom