Shellac as an adhesive

Timbuck

Reaction score
The recent thread about fitting a rosette to stained wood has made me think.."why not use shellac to glue in the rosette" ?? ...The first safety shatterproof windshields on motor cars were made up of laminated glass glued together with clear shellac..and I've read that boat builders used to laminate timbers this way over 50 years ago (for obvious reasons they didn't use hide glue)..They gave up the practice when modern wood glues became avaiable... also hot melt shellac was used to fit bone handles to knives...So! has any body used shellac on anything like inlays etc:?.
*Edit* Here is more info on shellac http://www.antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/shellac.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I've been using shellac for years and I just learned a lot more about it, thanks.

It's funny you started this thread Ken because I was thinking about the same thing today. I was mixing up a batch of beautiful blond #1 shellac and darned if I didn't manage to glue a lot of things together. I glued the paper to my bench, glued my fingers together and finally glued my gloves to the lid. Sure acted an awful lot like an adhesive and quick too. I'm thinking of drawbacks and what comes to mind is that it might be brittle (brittle isn't good in a glue), but sure it could be used to glue in a rosette or end graft or anything that isn't going to be stressed. Personally, I would sneak a little bit of thin CA glue in there too, but staining wouldn't be an issue.

Shellac is sometimes used by some of you folks for a wash coat the top plate to protect the surface from staining by another adhesive; and to lessen the fuzz or tear out from machining the rosette channel (maybe). It would be greatly beneficial if it could be used as an adhesive also, especially if the top was already shellacked. An accidental drop would be easily leveled out; better for the top plate surface than CA, which could show as a stain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom