• Yes! Mabuhay! Pass the San Miguel!

Votes: 165 59.4%
  • No, but nobody's perfect. ;)

Votes: 113 40.6%

• Total voters

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
Dude, what's up with all the Filipino ukulele players? I think it's fascinating. Is it just because there are a lot of Filipinos in Hawaii or is there another reason for the high number of Filipino ukulele players?

I've never been to Hawaii, but I picked up the ukulele. It was a spur of the moment thing, it didn't stem initially from a love of the islands.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I've posted a poll with this thread just to see how many Filipinos are out there.

By the way, I'm Filipino. :D

pare, we're taking over the world.

look at kaba modern and jabbawockeez hella pinoy hahaha. ok theyre not all pinoy but the roots are.
little ramielle, jose, and jasmine on american idol.
arnel pineda is the new lead singer of journey
manny p is the most exciting boxer today
batista displays his tatoo of the phil flag proudly
all kinds of celebs: rob schneider, lou diamond philips, just off the top of my head.

yes pare... we're taking over the world!

hello, this is my first post. My screen name is a rare example of a Tagalog word that entered American Slang.

Bunduk in Tagalog means "mountains" but in American slang, it means a wild, difficult to access, remote place.

I'm not Filipino, but I have been to the Philippines.

Salamad

saan ang san miguel, im thirsty

Hey.....I'm Japanese, but I grew up and lived most of my life in WAIPAHU! Almost counts....hehehe

Hey.....I'm Japanese, but I grew up and lived most of my life in WAIPAHU! Almost counts....hehehe

hahaha waipahu, one of the filipino capitals of oahu. im in the waipahu zip code but not in the heart of waipahu. but i am filipino :D

Dude, what's up with all the Filipino ukulele players? I think it's fascinating. Is it just because there are a lot of Filipinos in Hawaii or is there another reason for the high number of Filipino ukulele players?

What else are we supposed to use to harana those bebots?! :)

Seriously though, Filipinos are innately passionate about their music. Indigenous music were sometimes played with a 'zither.' Its basically a large piece of bamboo with stripped bamboo strings. When the Spaniards occupied the PI they introduced the guitara. Rondolla groups (a group of sometimes 12 ppl all with stringed instruments) are popular especially during 'fiestas'. My uncle actually plays the Philippine 'bandurria'; a 14-stringer with a neck shorter than a soprano uke. Try playin that! :D

I'm Japanese but I've been outnumbered by Filipinos in almost every band I've ever been in.

But honestly. Does it really matter? Music is awesome because it can bring together people regardless of race / age / sex etc. Thats why I love it.

What else are we supposed to use to harana those bebots?! :)

Ha ha! You got that right... ;)

My uncle actually plays the Philippine 'bandurria'; a 14-stringer with a neck shorter than a soprano uke. Try playin that! :D

I have tried it! A little more difficult than a mandolin, but they sound great.

I'm Japanese but I've been outnumbered by Filipinos in almost every band I've ever been in.

But honestly. Does it really matter? Music is awesome because it can bring together people regardless of race / age / sex etc. Thats why I love it.

No, it doesn't matter. I just wanted to know why people thought there was such a high ratio of Filipino ukulele players.

What is it about this instrument that draws in filipinos?

Since we're all under 5' 8"....I guess it makes us look like giants!!...lol

Nah...on the real, i love this instrument and a lot of us just happen to be filipino.

I'm Pinoy! Kind of ... born and raised in Pennsylvania, but living in Kentucky now. I picked up the ukulele 'cause my parents got me one as a souvenir when they first "brought me home" to the Philippines 25 years ago. It was forgotten until about 2 years ago when I really started to learn.

And the draw of the ukulele to Filipinos -- I think it has a lot to do with a genetic collective consciousness. For real ... I read about it in a comic book once ... seriously ... no, really ... "genetic collective consciousness" ... you watch ... it'll be a thing!

Last edited:
And the draw of the ukulele to Filipinos -- I think it has a lot to do with a genetic collective consciousness. For real ... I read about it in a comic book once ... seriously ... no, really ... "genetic collective consciousness" ... you watch ... it'll be a thing!

What comic book? Sounds like an X-Men thang...

Y: The Last Man ... but I digress ...

I'm still learning more about being Filipino myself. I really don't know enough about my own heritage. If the ukulele is part of it, that would be wonderful.

Top Bottom