PDA

View Full Version : Filipino Ukulele Players

seeso
03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Dude, what's up with all the Filipino ukulele players? I think it's fascinating. Is it just because there are a lot of Filipinos in Hawaii or is there another reason for the high number of Filipino ukulele players?

I've never been to Hawaii, but I picked up the ukulele. It was a spur of the moment thing, it didn't stem initially from a love of the islands.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I've posted a poll with this thread just to see how many Filipinos are out there.

seeso
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
By the way, I'm Filipino. :D

NukeDOC
03-12-2008, 11:57 AM
pare, we're taking over the world.

look at kaba modern and jabbawockeez hella pinoy hahaha. ok theyre not all pinoy but the roots are.
little ramielle, jose, and jasmine on american idol.
arnel pineda is the new lead singer of journey
manny p is the most exciting boxer today
batista displays his tatoo of the phil flag proudly
all kinds of celebs: rob schneider, lou diamond philips, just off the top of my head.

yes pare... we're taking over the world!

studentaccount1
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
You forgot Kirk Hammett \m/

Aldrine Guerrero
03-12-2008, 12:29 PM
*raises hand*

Proud Filipino right here buddy!

bof
03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Haha I'm half Indonesian does that count too?

Boondock
03-12-2008, 02:09 PM
hello, this is my first post. My screen name is a rare example of a Tagalog word that entered American Slang.

Bunduk in Tagalog means "mountains" but in American slang, it means a wild, difficult to access, remote place.

I'm not Filipino, but I have been to the Philippines.

Salamad

Regster
03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
saan ang san miguel, im thirsty

Guting
03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
what you mean, get choke ukulele players of all sorts.

Dino
03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey.....I'm Japanese, but I grew up and lived most of my life in WAIPAHU! Almost counts....hehehe

ukulele123
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey.....I'm Japanese, but I grew up and lived most of my life in WAIPAHU! Almost counts....hehehe

haha, i from Waipahu and filipino

tripl3thr33
03-12-2008, 08:30 PM

hahaha waipahu, one of the filipino capitals of oahu. im in the waipahu zip code but not in the heart of waipahu. but i am filipino :D

Ukeguy510
03-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Dude, what's up with all the Filipino ukulele players? I think it's fascinating. Is it just because there are a lot of Filipinos in Hawaii or is there another reason for the high number of Filipino ukulele players?

What else are we supposed to use to harana those bebots?! :)

Seriously though, Filipinos are innately passionate about their music. Indigenous music were sometimes played with a 'zither.' Its basically a large piece of bamboo with stripped bamboo strings. When the Spaniards occupied the PI they introduced the guitara. Rondolla groups (a group of sometimes 12 ppl all with stringed instruments) are popular especially during 'fiestas'. My uncle actually plays the Philippine 'bandurria'; a 14-stringer with a neck shorter than a soprano uke. Try playin that! :D

rayan
03-12-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm Japanese but I've been outnumbered by Filipinos in almost every band I've ever been in.

But honestly. Does it really matter? Music is awesome because it can bring together people regardless of race / age / sex etc. Thats why I love it.

seeso
03-13-2008, 03:53 AM
What else are we supposed to use to harana those bebots?! :)

Ha ha! You got that right... ;)

My uncle actually plays the Philippine 'bandurria'; a 14-stringer with a neck shorter than a soprano uke. Try playin that! :D

I have tried it! A little more difficult than a mandolin, but they sound great.

I'm Japanese but I've been outnumbered by Filipinos in almost every band I've ever been in.

But honestly. Does it really matter? Music is awesome because it can bring together people regardless of race / age / sex etc. Thats why I love it.

No, it doesn't matter. I just wanted to know why people thought there was such a high ratio of Filipino ukulele players.

davoomac
03-13-2008, 04:05 AM
I'm filipino :D

I play uke and I am from Guam. I have at least 8 filipino friend who play the ukulele too.

4strings707
03-13-2008, 06:05 AM
What is it about this instrument that draws in filipinos?

Since we're all under 5' 8"....I guess it makes us look like giants!!...lol

Nah...on the real, i love this instrument and a lot of us just happen to be filipino.

BigBruddahJ
03-13-2008, 06:06 AM
I'm Pinoy! Kind of ... born and raised in Pennsylvania, but living in Kentucky now. I picked up the ukulele 'cause my parents got me one as a souvenir when they first "brought me home" to the Philippines 25 years ago. It was forgotten until about 2 years ago when I really started to learn.

And the draw of the ukulele to Filipinos -- I think it has a lot to do with a genetic collective consciousness. For real ... I read about it in a comic book once ... seriously ... no, really ... "genetic collective consciousness" ... you watch ... it'll be a thing!

seeso
03-13-2008, 06:49 AM
And the draw of the ukulele to Filipinos -- I think it has a lot to do with a genetic collective consciousness. For real ... I read about it in a comic book once ... seriously ... no, really ... "genetic collective consciousness" ... you watch ... it'll be a thing!

What comic book? Sounds like an X-Men thang...

BigBruddahJ
03-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Y: The Last Man ... but I digress ...

I'm still learning more about being Filipino myself. I really don't know enough about my own heritage. If the ukulele is part of it, that would be wonderful.

seeso
03-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Y: The Last Man ... but I digress ...

I'm still learning more about being Filipino myself. I really don't know enough about my own heritage. If the ukulele is part of it, that would be wonderful.

Y The Last Man was awesome. BKV rules. If you're interested in learning more about your heritage, I'd suggest reading, "America Is In The Heart," by Carlos Bulosan. Amazing book written by an amazing Filipino.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Im asian in heart ^^

Fatboicorp
03-14-2008, 07:42 PM
ummm i'm half hawaiian does that count lol??

JumpingPulgas
03-14-2008, 07:45 PM
I've read that book a while back. It's a very good book. I learned about Filipino history in California that I didn't know about.

Y The Last Man was awesome. BKV rules. If you're interested in learning more about your heritage, I'd suggest reading, "America Is In The Heart," by Carlos Bulosan. Amazing book written by an amazing Filipino.

titoboy5
03-14-2008, 08:52 PM
yep, 100% pinoy!

k0konutz
03-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Filipinos seem to have the most pride in their heritage than any other Asian nationality. So, enlighten me. What is there to be proud of in being a pinoy?
And I ask this without any negative tone; I'm just curious.

NukeDOC
03-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Filipinos seem to have the most pride in their heritage than any other Asian nationality. So, enlighten me. What is there to be proud of in being a pinoy?
actually, i dont see it that way. to be honest, compared to other asian cultures, ours is one of the least original.

some of us have retained the dark skin of our ancestors, but it is frowned upon in terms of measurement of beauty... even to the point that people will bleach their skin to have lighter complexions.

conquered by the spaniards a few centuries ago, our own script was all but completely wiped out and forgotten, yet we are proud of the spanish last names we acquired and retained over those centuries.

where i grew up, while i was growing up, FOBs were outcasted by US born pinoys. when i lived in the Philippines, i was outcasted by the local pinoys.

our stereotypes hold us down, but we embrace them like its cool. one example... filipino time. being late to ANYTHING is never cool, yet generally, it is not only accepted, but thought of as funny, even at the expense of others who are on time who wasted the effort.

so what is there to be proud of you ask? for me it is about knowing where i came from. what happened for me to be where i am at now. "you cannot understand the ending of the story unless you read the whole book". i am who i am because this is who we were and are. but what makes me proud of pinoys who have "made it" is the fact that these people did not allow these shallow attributes so many of us hold dear to hold us back from reaching our full potential. so when i see that a pinoy has made it to a high rank in the military im proud. when i see that a pinoy has become the lead singer of one of the greatest bands in modern music history im proud. when i look back at all the crap i went through growing up and i see where i am now im proud that i did it as a pinoy. and i didnt allow any of that stuff i mentioned hold me back. other than that, most of it comes down to "school spirit" hahaha.

david98116
03-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Personally, I'm of Jamaican decent. But speaking on Pinoys (far less in the US) Filipinos are a major percentage of the professional entertainment throughout all of Asia. All the night clubs in Hong Kong seem to feature fantastic Pinoy musicians and this seems to be the case in many more countries in the region. So for all you fantastic Filipino instrument playing mofos out there......magaling pare, magaling !! :D

seeso
03-15-2008, 07:39 AM

It would be easy to just spout off a list of notable Filipino-Americans, but you could get that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Filipino_Americans

Of course, I'm proud of all of the accomplishments of all Filipinos, both here in America and abroad. Lapu-Lapu comes to mind, especially. He was the first to resist Spanish colonization.

But when I'm asked the question, "Why are you proud to be a Filipino," it elicits other thoughts and feelings beyond just being proud of my fellow Pinoys' many accomplishments and talents.

The first person I think about is my father.

He came from nothing, and worked his ass off to become a doctor here in America. Through all his life he remained the best man I've ever known. In the face of every obstacle, he was smiling. All throughout his fight with cancer, he put others first. The kind of guy that would give you his jacket in sub-zero weather if he thought you were cold.

I know many other people of other ethnicities have similar stories, but to me, my father is a prime example of the Filipino spirit. No matter how bad things get, we never forget to laugh. We are a resilient people. We've been through Spanish colonization, American colonization, martial law, and we still haven't forgotten how to smile and sing loudly.

mcarreon89
03-15-2008, 08:17 AM
*raises hand*

Proud Filipino right here buddy!

FROUD FILIFINO!!!

we also have reyes and bustamante at the top of billiards

jasmine trias my cousin too btw.

p.s. i have this really interesting article about a white man talking about how filipinos are useless and overpopulating our country and that america has no use for us. a well known filipino then argues every point that the guy makes and leaves him speechless. its priceless and if you have real pride you would be interested. let me know. thanks guys.

ibcruzn
03-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm part flip too.

seeso
03-15-2008, 10:09 AM
FROUD FILIFINO!!!

we also have reyes and bustamante at the top of billiards

jasmine trias my cousin too btw.

p.s. i have this really interesting article about a white man talking about how filipinos are useless and overpopulating our country and that america has no use for us. a well known filipino then argues every point that the guy makes and leaves him speechless. its priceless and if you have real pride you would be interested. let me know. thanks guys.

Jasmine Trias is your cousin? :eek:

Ukulele_Junkie
03-15-2008, 09:16 PM
I know many other people of other ethnicities have similar stories, but to me, my father is a prime example of the Filipino spirit. No matter how bad things get, we never forget to laugh. We are a resilient people. We've been through Spanish colonization, American colonization, martial law, and we still haven't forgotten how to smile and sing loudly.

I wish most filipino people are like this, but some are pretty much the extreme opposite of that. I'm proud of being filipino, but some filipino people can be jerks sumtimes, and aren't we all no matter what etnicity.

Oh yeah forgot to add this, screw ABC and screw desperate housewives, but the good screw goes to eva longoria. haha :D I'm trying to be a nurse and that just kicks me in the ass to hear that comment said on national TV about filipinos in the medical field.

JTY
03-16-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm not.. but I've been to PI years ago. a couple of times, both on TDY to Clark AB for a couple of months. yes, this was a year or two before PINATUBO. That was in Angeles City, Pampanga province. Had nice interesting experiences there, and friendly people too.

IamRobbyah
03-20-2008, 10:39 AM
PINOY AKO!!!

any ilocanos in de house?

this is another awesome thread, cuz u guys all nail it on the head! im mestizo (doddy=pinoy mommy=puti) and there has always been an internal conflict on how i view myself as pinoy. i think nuke puts it bur well!

i am told that carlos bulosan is a great uncle of mine. in the book that ceeso mentions, my family name is on pg 123.

this man personifies the true pinoy spirit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLnlVGJnEME

why are pinoys so quick to assimilate and forget their roots tho? not too many younger gen. speak or understand our native tongue, myself included. yeah, there is pride, but it seems like there isnt much loyalty to the country and the roots. for example, i fly the flag on everything i own, an i get clowned on all the time. i ono, like i sed: internal conflict... i could go on all day.

seeso
03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
i am told that carlos bulosan is a great uncle of mine. in the book that ceeso mentions, my family name is on pg 123.

Whoa, very cool.

this man personifies the true pinoy spirit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLnlVGJnEME

Oh man. C'mon now.

why are pinoys so quick to assimilate and forget their roots tho? not too many younger gen. speak or understand our native tongue, myself included.

This is a complex topic, and a message board reply will never do it justice.

We as a people, have always had to assimilate. We had to assimilate to the Spaniards, we had to assimilate to the Americans, and now, as our people spread out across the globe, we must assimilate into whatever culture we find ourselves living in.

This is a survival tactic.

Speaking of my own experiences in America, my parents wanted me to assimilate into the American way of life. They never bothered to teach me Tagalog. I had an American name (Johnny) growing up. They never said it out loud, but I'm sure that that's the reason.

yeah, there is pride, but it seems like there isnt much loyalty to the country and the roots.

I think that you're too quick to judge the younger generation. Kids these days, especially 20-somethings, are starting to represent Pinoy identity much more now than even 10 years ago.

Have you ever been in a club with Pinoys in the house and they start playing, "Bebot" by the Black Eyed Peas? Hell, the whole room starts bumping with pride.

Yeah, we still have a long way to go, but the impetus is there. It's up to us as a people to fan the flames.

for example, i fly the flag on everything i own, an i get clowned on all the time. i ono, like i sed: internal conflict... i could go on all day.

Pare, keep flying that flag, no matter what the haters say. You are an example, brother. Any kid that sees that and admires what you do will never forget it. They'll keep it as ammunition in their own search for identity.

Peace.

IamRobbyah
03-20-2008, 11:39 AM
maraming salamat po! instilled some hope in me once again!

Ukeguy510
03-20-2008, 02:10 PM
why are pinoys so quick to assimilate and forget their roots tho? not too many younger gen. speak or understand our native tongue, myself included. yeah, there is pride, but it seems like there isnt much loyalty to the country and the roots. for example, i fly the flag on everything i own, an i get clowned on all the time. i ono, like i sed: internal conflict... i could go on all day.

I think this is a combination of peer acceptance and lack of knowledge of Filipino heritage. Everyone wants to fit in no matter what it takes. Even if it means leaving your ethnic heritage behind. On the other hand, how much do Filipinos not born in the PI really know about Philippine history? Most 20-somethings probably don't know much about Lapu Lapu, Jose Rizal, Ninoy & Corey Aquino, etc, etc. I for one was born in the US but spoke Tagalog as my first language (cause it was the only lang my mother knew). I've only been to the Philippines once. In fact there were many Filipino traditions that I absolutely hated when I was younger (ie. having to formerly say "Hi" and "Bye" to each and every 2 billion of my relatives when at gatherings). If I hadn't made the effort to actually educate myself about Filipino history then I probably wouldn't give a hoot. It really helped my to understand our culture and help me to connect with older generations.

But this is by no means confined to Filipinos. It affects all ethnicities. I see a lot of Indian and Middle Eastern kids grow up here and abandon the lifestyles of their ancestors.

BTW, my fave Fil-Ams in no particular order are: DJ Qbert, Lea Salonga, Dante Basco, and ALLEY BAGGET! :D

jimbeaubjj
03-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Does half count?

seeso
03-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Does half count?

Hmm... We'll let it slde...

:D

Ukeguy510
03-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Not sure if you guys have already seen this. The new front man for the legendary rock band Journey is pinoy! :eek: He's no Steve Perry but man he comes real close.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/12/05/journey-finds-new-singer-the-old-fashioned-way-on-the-internet/

seth
03-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Filipino pride!

Snow
03-23-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm Hella PINOY.. balut ako!! :p

seth
03-23-2008, 01:39 PM
balut.... :eek:

ChiyoDad
03-24-2008, 10:29 AM
http://www.atlasofpluckedinstruments.com/europe1/bandurria.jpg

Theory: When deprived of a bandurria, the ukulele becomes a natural substitute.

Possible Supporting Evidence: Do a YouTube search for "banduria" (http://youtube.com/results?search_query=banduria&search_type=).
:eek:

Maybe it's time to form a rondalla.

russ_buss
03-24-2008, 10:45 AM
chiyodad,

do you play the bandurria? we have one collecting dust in the garage. if you play, maybe you can give us a few pointers.

cheers!

ChiyoDad
03-24-2008, 12:12 PM
chiyodad,

do you play the bandurria?
Sorry, I don't. :(

I'd consider getting one but I've got enough fretted instruments on my hands as it is. ChiyoMama might throttle me if I bring another one in. :D

Atbanfish
03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm half Filipino. I take pride in being pinoy for sure. There aren't that many of us at my school so we represent. I have to say I don't know much about the culture, but I grew up living like I was in PI 'cause my grandparents kept traditon and culture. I'm just barely learning Tagalog, I learned the basics when I was young, but just basics. So yeah, I learn more about the culture everyday. I went to a Pinoy celebration once, and they did the stick dance with the man and the woman dancing in between the bamboo sticks, it was pretty awesome.

NukeDOC
03-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm half Filipino. I take pride in being pinoy for sure. There aren't that many of us at my school so we represent. I have to say I don't know much about the culture, but I grew up living like I was in PI 'cause my grandparents kept traditon and culture. I'm just barely learning Tagalog, I learned the basics when I was young, but just basics. So yeah, I learn more about the culture everyday. I went to a Pinoy celebration once, and they did the stick dance with the man and the woman dancing in between the bamboo sticks, it was pretty awesome.
just FYI, the dance is called tinikling. i love that dance. every time someone is doing it, i have to stop what im doing to watch.

davoomac
03-25-2008, 03:04 AM
just FYI, the dance is called tinikling. i love that dance. every time someone is doing it, i have to stop what im doing to watch.

Hey Arvin you ever join in?? tinikling is really cool, but I'm terrible at it. I usually end up looking really retarded haha:o

angeles206
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
**raises hand**

:cool:

JoeyJr858
04-17-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm filipino...

a friend once told me you can find at least 1 of us in every country of the world... I BELIEVE IT! Even in the deepest jungles of Africa somewhere, somebody is representin! LOL If it's not a full filipino, it's a mix of some sort, right? hehe

hmm... what it means to be filipino?? it's an interesting subject. We've been dominated by so many countries all over the philippines; so many things have molded our people in so many ways w/ it's share of negs and positives... Our people have left the motherland to pursue better lives for their families, some not by choice, and some are even still unexposed to the world... There's just so many factors in how we are today. We lost some of our culture in the past thru wars and such; somewhat a drag, but that's just how it was back then... many traditions were still kept and naturally new ones were made, and there's been many things achieved by filipinos of the past and present to be proud of... from Lapu Lapu to Aldrine! No doubt! lol

I guess that was more of a cultural identity answer. I don't even know if I made sense... A.D.D. or somethin' frequents me...

personally, more than being pinoy or sporting pride... I just try to be the best person I can be and make the most of life... I won't rep being part of an ethnicity I am not, but I am definitely heavily influenced by the beauty of many cultures... HIGH 5 to all you beautiful people! hehe

Oh and I would say a lot of my personal view is due to me being a military brat! LOL

Joey
and his A.D.D.

deach
04-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Jasmine Trias is your cousin? :eek:

I thought we were all cousins... :confused:

NukeDOC
04-18-2008, 09:30 AM
theres an order of business here. if you are friends with someone, you call their parents auntie and uncle. if your parents know their parents, you are family friends. if your parents knew each other before you knew each other, you are cousins. if you have backed each other up in a fight you are brothers, regardless of parental affiliation. and if your parents have backed each other up in a fight, then you are part of one hella ghetto family! hahahaha

i feel sorry for my kids. one of these days daddy and the uncles (all of daddy's brothers) are gonna be drinking in the back yard singing and playing music, and someone is going to have to talk story bout da days when daddy did this and that. hahaha.

duro
04-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm Pinoy! Kind of ... born and raised in Pennsylvania, but living in Kentucky now. I picked up the ukulele 'cause my parents got me one as a souvenir when they first "brought me home" to the Philippines 25 years ago. It was forgotten until about 2 years ago when I really started to learn.

I'm kind of like you... Never been to the Philippines, I lived in Hawaii / Hickam / Waipahu for a while and then to the mainland... I only know bits and pieces from my heritage. :( I dad spoke Ilokono as well instead of Tagalog.

Kaneohe til the end
04-21-2008, 11:04 PM
i go damien in kalihi, so im filipino by association... the joke there is that were like the filipino kamehameha.

Howie1947
04-22-2008, 01:53 AM
Hey I'm Irish and like to play da Uke......Go figure......Howie

Johnny Elsewhere
04-22-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm half filipino! Is that good enough? lol

ukulele-antihero86
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm 100% Filipino. I don't drink beer, so I'll pass on the San Miguel. I'll take the orange soda though (anyone got a bottle opener? lol)

Ukulele_Junkie
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm 100% Filipino. I don't drink beer, so I'll pass on the San Miguel. I'll take the orange soda though (anyone got a bottle opener? lol)

nah u dont need a bottle opener, we only have the soda in the plastic bags haha :D

JumpingPulgas
04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
I wanted to add Brandon Vera from UFC.

look at kaba modern and jabbawockeez hella pinoy hahaha. ok theyre not all pinoy but the roots are.
all kinds of celebs: rob schneider, lou diamond philips, just off the top of my head.

jaggtmolina
04-22-2008, 09:16 PM

lol wow. i never thought of that. aha that's a bunch of filipino's.

Ame
04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
I wanted to add Brandon Vera from UFC.

to add on to the AI Filipinos haha Camile Velasco and AJ Tabaldo. There was another person.. I think there may have been another mixed filipino guy but i forget.. ><;;

Mamba24
04-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Heres another filipino!

Vroom
04-22-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm.... Canadian... nothing special here lol

Kaneohe til the end
04-22-2008, 09:30 PM

then why post...nah jk

Vroom
04-22-2008, 09:33 PM
then why post...nah jk

LOL thanks :P well just to show that its not JUST filipinos that play... but... wow... it really is surprising how many filipinos play the ukulele...

jaggtmolina
04-22-2008, 09:34 PM

woah hey, if you've ever seen, touched, played or even smelled a uke, you're special. :)

davoomac
04-23-2008, 01:42 AM
LOL thanks :P well just to show that its not JUST filipinos that play... but... wow... it really is surprising how many filipinos play the ukulele...

Bet you'd be suprised how many canadians play the ukulele hehe

deach
04-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Tia!!!!!!

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL435/10947091/19540705/314460509.jpg

Poi Dog
04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm not Filipino (I'm hapa.. Japanese/German/Scott) - but my ex-wife is. So obviously my kids are.... LOL

Vroom
04-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Really? I know of only a few on this site who hail from canada.

seeso
04-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm not Filipino (I'm hapa.. Japanese/German/Scott) - but my ex-wife is. So obviously my kids are.... LOL

Ah, I thought I saw some Pinoy in your kids! Cool.

AngeLoLo
04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm a proud filipino uke player!

does this mean i get a san miguel now?

seeso
04-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm a proud filipino uke player!

does this mean i get a san miguel now?

Yes. Mabuhay!

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8080/palepilsendj3.jpg

Digital SQRATCH
04-30-2008, 10:42 AM

care to share that article? i'd like to see that :)

btw im filipino as well, but no, i will not do the otso-otso for u guys :p

seeso
04-30-2008, 11:01 AM

I think you may be referring to the hoax email that was attributed to Art Bell. He didn't actually write that.

acabooe
04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I am not Filipino, but my wife is, and our son is half.
I have much respect for Filipinos, and I want to learn Tagalog someday.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

drifterx
04-30-2008, 06:58 PM
peace love and adobo grease.lol

dugbrandon
04-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm as white as you can get. I'm from Iowa. But my girlfriend is filipino. Her parents moved here to the States when they were 20ish. I've really enjoyed this thread. I don't know much about the culture, but love to learn what I can. I saw the Banana Ketchup Spaghetti recipe yesterday, so I had to ask the gf about it, she didn't know anything but her mom is picking me up a bottle of the ketchup for next time I visit. BTW, hot dogs in the spagetti sauce is good. I really enjoy getting to try the filipino dishes her mom makes. My gf has never been the Phillipines, nor have her parents been back in the 30 or so years since they came here. I would love to visit there someday, hopefully while her grandmother is still around. Her Grandmother goes back and forth about every 6 months between the philipines and the states, staying with different relatives each time back in the states. Is this common? I think she may just do it to go to the doctors here. I told my gf that I was thinking about picking up the uke and she seemed excited and told me about how her grandfather (tatay?) played. I've also found it odd that EVERYONE is an auntie/uncle (tita/tito?).

This thread has been fun to read. Teach me more.

Ukeguy510
04-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Her Grandmother goes back and forth about every 6 months between the philipines and the states, staying with different relatives each time back in the states. Is this common? I think she may just do it to go to the doctors here. I told my gf that I was thinking about picking up the uke and she seemed excited and told me about how her grandfather (tatay?) played. I've also found it odd that EVERYONE is an auntie/uncle (tita/tito?)..

Yes, that is typical of Filipino Lolo's/Lola's. They may do this for many different reasons (ie. to avoid cold weather, better healthcare in the US, visit relatives, collect pension benefits, take care of grand-daughters' bastard son (lol), etc, etc.)

Also, we all call each other auntie/uncle/cousin/lolo/lola regardless of blood relation because its a form of respect. Kind of like using "Mr." and "Mrs." in the US.

As for going to the PI islands, go for it! Manila is alright but once you go out to the province areas and soak up the culture, you'll love it (and so will your wife). :)

Rubbertoe
05-04-2008, 07:21 PM

interesting... i wonder how many canadians play the uke? i've been to the shops around town (toronto and surrounding area) and can't find anything other than mahalo & oscar schmidt (ok, i've seen a couple others but they're pretty obscure brands nothing is above $150)? if there are a lot of uke players in canada, we sure don't have a lot of selection when it comes to the good ol' jumping flea!

P.S. I'm a Flip too!

Guting
05-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I wouldnt be suprised, especially with langley churning out them wonders.

flip eh?

seeso
05-04-2008, 07:52 PM
interesting... i wonder how many canadians play the uke? i've been to the shops around town (toronto and surrounding area) and can't find anything other than mahalo & oscar schmidt (ok, i've seen a couple others but they're pretty obscure brands nothing is above $150)? if there are a lot of uke players in canada, we sure don't have a lot of selection when it comes to the good ol' jumping flea!

P.S. I'm a Flip too!

I think most areas of the world are woefully understocked with ukuleles. Everywhere except Hawaii, Tokyo and certain parts of California.

I'm lucky to live within walking distance of the Old Town School of Folk Music, where they have a pretty good selection. Probably the best in the state, certainly in the Metro Chicago area.

KoloheBoy
05-04-2008, 08:06 PM

I've never been to Hawaii, but I picked up the ukulele. It was a spur of the moment thing, it didn't stem initially from a love of the islands.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I've posted a poll with this thread just to see how many Filipinos are out there.
nopppeeeeeeee

seeso
05-04-2008, 08:09 PM
hahaha nope. i dont eat dog so i must not be filipino. haha jes kidding.

I tried to give you negative rep for this post, but I messed up and gave you positive instead.

KoloheBoy
05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I tried to give you negative rep for this post, but I messed up and gave you positive instead.
i apologize for that.:( i feel bad. i dont know why i said that. very sorry.

seeso
05-05-2008, 12:48 PM
i apologize for that.:( i feel bad. i dont know why i said that. very sorry.

I accept your apology. Racist jokes just really, really piss me off.

KoloheBoy
05-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I accept your apology. Racist jokes just really, really piss me off.

i'll remember that. I honestlly didn't mean to offend anyone. now that i look at it though it does seem pretty offensive though. :( SORRY

Guting
05-05-2008, 01:01 PM
idk about black dog, but sweet balut is "THEE FILIPINO TREAT"!

seeso
05-05-2008, 01:02 PM
i'll remember that. I honestlly didn't mean to offend anyone. now that i look at it though it does seem pretty offensive though. :( SORRY

I respect you for manning up and admitting what you did was wrong. That takes guts.

I know you didn't mean to hurt anyone by that comment, but too often, Asians let those kinds of jokes slide. I didn't want it to start happening here.

Just try to exercise better judgment in the future, brother. Respect your ukulele community members as you would have them respect you.

KoloheBoy
05-05-2008, 01:07 PM
I respect you for manning up and admitting what you did was wrong. That takes guts.

I know you didn't mean to hurt anyone by that comment, but too often, Asians let those kinds of jokes slide. I didn't want it to start happening here.

Just try to exercise better judgment in the future, brother. Respect your ukulele community members as you would have them respect you.
yeah isee... but okay you got it. ;)

kman808
05-05-2008, 01:15 PM
One more Pinoy in the house. 100%. I grew up in Hawaii and never been to the Philipines, but I really learned a lot when I helped my son with his school project. I was so stoked when he came home and said "dad I picked the Philipines for my report"

Eh you know you're pinoy when....
1.You have to kiss your relatives on the cheek as soon as you enter the room
2.You always offer food to all your visitors
3.Your car chirps like a bird or plays a tune when it's in reverse
4.You get smelling kisses from your grandma
5.You know that "chocolate meat" isn't really made with chocolate

Eh you guys forgot to mention Nicole of the Pussy Cat Dolls...50% pinay.

kman808

kman808
05-05-2008, 01:16 PM
and oh....where shall we meet for that San Miguel?

seeso
05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
and oh....where shall we meet for that San Miguel?

In the bar:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25856

YuKoLayLay
05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
What is it about this instrument that draws in filipinos?

Since we're all under 5' 8"....I guess it makes us look like giants!!...lol

Nah...on the real, i love this instrument and a lot of us just happen to be filipino.

AHAHAHAHAHA tru dat man ..... id be lucky to even play the guitar with my small hands XD , jk jk but iono man, filipinos just like it i guess

davoomac
05-05-2008, 03:31 PM
4.You get smelling kisses from your grandma

Haha my mom does this! I always thought it was so weird

UkuleleHill
05-05-2008, 04:09 PM
What if I'm an uncle to two half Filipinos? Does that count? :)

kman808
05-06-2008, 04:59 AM
Please, I did not mean to offend anyone either with my "you know you're Filipino when" stereotypical comments. I appolgize if I did. Again, for the record, I'm 100% Pinoy.

kman808

NukeDOC
05-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Please, I did not mean to offend anyone either with my "you know you're Filipino when" stereotypical comments. I appolgize if I did. Again, for the record, I'm 100% Pinoy.

kman808

i dont think any of that was offensive. it was just funny poking if anything. you know, like pointing with your lips. hahaha.

i hate to say it, but there also seems to be a double standard here. it think it sucks that you have to put out a disclaimer that you are 100% filipino. but its kinda like anyone that is not of african descent dropping the N bomb. its gotta be put out for people to have that chance to say "ohhh he's pinoy. its ok then." BS IMHO but reality.

the problem with the other post is the image that is displayed. in most cultures, dogs are the last thing you would think of as food. well, ill be the first to say that i am full pinoy and i have (accidentally) eaten dog up in the mountains of the philippines. but then again, we as filipinos would probably cringe when seeing an aussie eat a rattlesnake (ive had it and its delicious). or an okie eating rabbit. some cultures think eating pork is disgusting. but its the whole stereotype of asians eating dogs. for some odd reason, the picture that is painted is disgusting because of the relationship many people have with their pet dogs. to be honest, when i found out that the adobo that i ate was fido-dobo i was disgusted. i was playing with that dog before it was cooked for crying out loud!

the irony is we're so proud of eating the unborn fetus of a waterfowl when its reached its development to the point that you can identify its body parts... yet almost no one would ever admit to having eaten a dog. myself included, because if i knew what was being served, i would rather have starved.

deach
05-06-2008, 06:12 AM
i dont think any of that was offensive. it was just funny poking if anything. you know, like pointing with your lips. hahaha.

i hate to say it, but there also seems to be a double standard here. it think it sucks that you have to put out a disclaimer that you are 100% filipino. but its kinda like anyone that is not of african descent dropping the N bomb. its gotta be put out for people to have that chance to say "ohhh he's pinoy. its ok then." BS IMHO but reality.

the problem with the other post is the image that is displayed. in most cultures, dogs are the last thing you would think of as food. well, ill be the first to say that i am full pinoy and i have (accidentally) eaten dog up in the mountains of the philippines. but then again, we as filipinos would probably cringe when seeing an aussie eat a rattlesnake (ive had it and its delicious). or an okie eating rabbit. some cultures think eating pork is disgusting. but its the whole stereotype of asians eating dogs. for some odd reason, the picture that is painted is disgusting because of the relationship many people have with their pet dogs. to be honest, when i found out that the adobo that i ate was fido-dobo i was disgusted. i was playing with that dog before it was cooked for crying out loud!

the irony is we're so proud of eating the unborn fetus of a waterfowl when its reached its development to the point that you can identify its body parts... yet almost no one would ever admit to having eaten a dog. myself included, because if i knew what was being served, i would rather have starved.

This post made me hungry and un-hungry about 3 different times. :D

russ_buss
05-06-2008, 06:41 AM
i willingly ate a long list of strange and different things (including dog) when i visited vietnam and thailand last year. "when in rome" right? if it's not taboo to them, i'm not going to look down my nose at their cultural ways. by the way, i'm chinese and i know they eat dog in many places in asia. just wanted to do it for the experience. some people in the US eat "rocky mountain oysters". that could be seen as crude and barbaric. i guess what i'm saying, is less judging, more eating!

by the way, balut in vietnam is served pretty much the same way. it was good!!!!

Johnny Ukulele
05-07-2009, 05:52 PM
In Oklahoma City stop by Cattlemans (In the area called Stockyards) and order Lamb Fries. Sliced and battered deep fried appetizers.

But the best cooking ever is my wife's pork adobo. Its to die for!
And her sinigang soup is the best ever. Its perfected.

When people are married they become one. So now I must be half pinoy!

Ahnko Honu
05-07-2009, 06:46 PM

But you have to say it right Waipahooooooo. :D

Harold O.
05-07-2009, 06:55 PM
But you have to say it right Waipahooooooo. :D

I lived on Oahu as a Navy brat in the 60s. My brother, sister, and I got a big kick out of saying Waipahoooooooooo Elementary Schooooooooool!

XxDaAznGuyxX
05-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Flip FTW BABY!!!!

Roy Jovero
05-07-2009, 07:07 PM
^A Filipino using 'flip'?

IDK if it's just me, but that term just irks the living hell out of me. Oh, I'm Filipino as well. I'll pass on the San Miguel, but I'll happily accept a bottle of Tanduay.

SeanKy671
05-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Proud Filipino!!
only 1/4 tho lol ;)

generem
05-07-2009, 07:46 PM
We should form a new social group... we can call it ukenamin or ukenatin :D

ricdoug
05-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Does half count?

Of course it does. Very few are of only one race. The Philippines is a melting pot of culture, from many countries. Ric

ricdoug
05-07-2009, 07:50 PM

They all call me "Tito" in the P.I.. I guess y'all are my nephews and nieces! LOL! Ric

ricdoug
05-07-2009, 08:00 PM

Royal Tru Orange that is! I prefer Sarsi. Ric

ricdoug
05-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Really? I know of only a few on this site who hail from canada.

Chalmers Doane, James Hill and John Kavanagh, to name a few. Mr. Doane's spread ukulele love all over the continent:

http://www.ukuleleintheclassroom.com

http://www.ukuleleintheclassroom.com/yabb/YaBB.pl

http://www.ukuleleyes.com/issues/vol8/no1/index.htm

Check out James Hill on YouTube, if you've not yet heard of him. Ric

ricdoug
05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
My asawa is from Marikina. She's Tagalog/Ilocano. We own a house in the Sun Valley subdivision of Antipolo City. Just got back from vacation to the P.I. in November of last year. There were not a lot of ukes in the music stores, even in the Raon district. Everybody called my uke "pogi ng small geetar!".

For dinner last night:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/23320chickenfeet.jpg

Wife in green:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/23320bellepop.jpg

Our youngest Granddaughter:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/23320Anna_Star.jpg

buddhuu
05-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Wow. What a nice thread! :) :shaka:

Great pics, Ric. Beautiful family.

What was that instrument called? A bandurria. That looks crazy. I wouldn't like to have to fix intonation problems on one of those!

That thing NukeDOC said early in the thread about dark skin not being favoured as a sign of beauty and people bleaching their skin... That's such a shame. I have heard the same thing from Indian friends.

Personally, as a very fair skinned white fella, I envy anyone who has a bit of pigment to give them a little protection in the summer. First week of sunshine, I burn within a couple of days!

Dark skin is beautiful. I always thought the pale/fair thing was often overrated.

Yup definitely all cousins. And brothers and sisters.

slapbass
05-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Filipino here..And being 6'4 285 its hard for people to believe that I actually am.....And not offended by anything in this post..Theres bigger issues than weather or not you've eaten dogs or Baloot...

beeejums
05-08-2009, 04:12 AM
I think I knew a filipino once...

I was born in Florida, but I've spent most of my in a little town right on the southern border of WV. I went to a West Virginia college, and now I teach in a rural Virginia school. I've spent most of my life around rednecks...

So no, I'm not filipino. I'm as white as they come.

seeso
05-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Filipino here..And being 6'4 285 its hard for people to believe that I actually am.....And not offended by anything in this post..Theres bigger issues than weather or not you've eaten dogs or Baloot...

Giant Filipino!

slapbass
05-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Your right Seeso..My aunts keep telling me to move to the Phillipines and be a high profile bodyguard...
But as of yet I still cant dodge bullets!!!:p

seeso
05-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Your right Seeso..My aunts keep telling me to move to the Phillipines and be a high profile bodyguard...
But as of yet I still cant dodge bullets!!!:p

Or you can be a center on a basketball team! :D

cpatch
05-08-2009, 06:08 AM
Not Filipino. Never been to the Philippines. Until 60 seconds ago, could not find the Philippines on a map. (Especially sad considering they're closer to where I was born than where I live now.) However, have known many Filipinos over the years and have nothing but good things to say about all of them.

pebbleInDaPacific
05-08-2009, 06:19 AM
pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst!!!

05-08-2009, 06:22 AM
interesting roll call thread.

He hapa Pilipino au. Ilocano to be more specific.

generem
05-08-2009, 07:37 AM
That thing NukeDOC said early in the thread about dark skin not being favoured as a sign of beauty and people bleaching their skin... That's such a shame. I have heard the same thing from Indian friends.

Personally, as a very fair skinned white fella, I envy anyone who has a bit of pigment to give them a little protection in the summer. First week of sunshine, I burn within a couple of days!

Having pale skin is more of a social stature. Darker colored skin meant that you work outside or in the fields. If you were rich, you didnt have too so skin color was much lighter.. unfortunately, that mind set also carried over to beauty. Even now. I see older generations going out of their way to make sure they stay as light as possible.. Full face visors, gloves, and arm sleeves when driving... etc... My wife and I calls them power rangers :D then laugh

ricdoug
05-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Or you can be a center on a basketball team! :D

No match for Big J Jaworski! Ric

cpatch
05-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Even now. I see older generations going out of their way to make sure they stay as light as possible..
Not to stay as light as possible...to avoid skin cancer. Once you get to a certain age and you start paying the price for too many days unprotected in the sun when you were younger, having a tan becomes a lower priority than staying alive!

Bruddah Kekoa
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
My Lila (Ilocano) used to always tell the same joke and thought it was so funny...

What do you call two or more buk-buks? ...A library (come on Lila!)

BTW, she lives in Kalihi, the other pilipino capital of Oahu.

I'm the island immigrant mix: buk-buk, pake, podagee, and all da other haole stuff.

The parents had to give me the hawaiian middle name Kekoa...hmmm, talk about identity crisis in the elementary through highschool years...

Nevertheless, ako...a part of me is buk-buk...lol.

Bruddah Kekoa :shaka:

pebbleInDaPacific
05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm FBI bruddah, but born and raised in Guam. uhh.what's buk-buk? is that contagious? :confused:

Guting
05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm FBI bruddah, but born and raised in Guam. uhh.what's buk-buk? is that contagious? :confused:

you fbi but you dont know buk-buk:confused:

Baron K
05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm Deach's swedipino twin brother, does that count?

Bruddah Kekoa
05-08-2009, 10:22 AM

LOL...a buk-buk who not eben know it! Found this little gem for you Pebble:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buk-buk

This is also for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieMdIRjbo3o

We may have a couple UUers who can relate, lol.

BK:shaka:

thekidwho
05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
haha. so Filipino's in my opinion are just naturally talented. all the filipinos i know are talented in at least 1 thing. for example, alot of my friends can dance (i can't), and a bunch of my friends are musically talented. im filipino btw. what caused me to play the uke was gabe bondoc and aj rafael. idk if my friends took up the uke cause of them also, but it's a possibility. lol

FHS-72
05-08-2009, 11:01 AM
FBI from Kalihi. Illocano center after Waipahooo.:nana:

pebbleInDaPacific
05-08-2009, 11:08 AM
LOL...a buk-buk who not eben know it! Found this little gem for you Pebble:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buk-buk

This is also for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieMdIRjbo3o

We may have a couple UUers who can relate, lol.

BK:shaka:

LOL. thanks bruddah. i see now, buk-buk aka FOB! haha..funny, never heard that.

generem
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Not to stay as light as possible...to avoid skin cancer. Once you get to a certain age and you start paying the price for too many days unprotected in the sun when you were younger, having a tan becomes a lower priority than staying alive!

Maybe a certain percentage are trying to prevent skin cancer but I also believe some are trying to keep themselve very faired skin.. I understand the cancer thing.. I even started wearing sunblock. But there is big business in skin bleaching in the asian / filipino community.. I have family that will spend close to 2K for the procedure periodically. Not that its a bad thing but just a mind set.

I dont really see it on the younger generations as much.. specially generations raise outside of PI...

Spooner
05-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Maybe a certain percentage are trying to prevent skin cancer but I also believe some are trying to keep themselve very faired skin.. I understand the cancer thing.. I even started wearing sunblock. But there is big business in skin bleaching in the asian / filipino community.. I have family that will spend close to 2K for the procedure periodically. Not that its a bad thing but just a mind set.

I dont really see it on the younger generations as much.. specially generations raise outside of PI...

http://i.ivillage.com/E/325/PlasticSurgery/E_MichaelJackson.jpg

05-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Iirc, the sakadas used to poke fun of each other's bust up teeth saying they were eaten by termites. So they called each other the ilocano word for termites. Other people heard them and thought they said bukbuk. Hence the name.

keno poi
05-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Im from NJ but proud to be Pinoy!

DeG
05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
I had a San Miguel in the terminal at Clark AB while waiting for my flight to Thailand back in 1990. Does that count for anything? Also, I like lumpia :D

ricdoug
05-08-2009, 06:20 PM

I'm pluent in POB! Just ask Joey Jr.! LOL! Ric

DJ ukulele
05-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Dude, what's up with all the Filipino ukulele players? I think it's fascinating. Is it just because there are a lot of Filipinos in Hawaii

yep theres a lot in hawaii. i knoe this cuz im from hawaii and cuz im also a filipino ukulele player:shaka:

DJ ukulele
05-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Salamad

are yu tryin to say "salamat" cuz thats not how yu spell it

Kanaka916
05-08-2009, 07:47 PM
As a local thing and only in da 808 . . . you used to be able fo spahk em easy.

khrome
05-08-2009, 10:40 PM
haha. so Filipino's in my opinion are just naturally talented.

It's because we have the Variety-Show Gene. ;)

deach
05-09-2009, 01:25 AM
haha. so Filipino's in my opinion are just naturally talented.....
no, sadly no.

generem
05-09-2009, 04:19 AM
It's because we have the Variety-Show Gene. ;)

Actually cuz we have no shame ;)

So we are just fun to watch ;)

If you dont believe me.. Watch Wowowee

ricdoug
05-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Actually cuz we have no shame ;)

So we are just fun to watch ;)

If you dont believe me.. Watch Wowowee

My wife brought me to that show. The line outside was longer than a Rolling Stones concert! Fortunately we had tickets. Lot's of western trivia. The dancing girls weren't bad either... :D:shaka: Ric

Myala509
05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Wah wah weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! FilipinoTV is helping with my tagolog learning. Too bad tagalog is not helping my english!

tshirtandties
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
British Here! :)

Ahnko Honu
05-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Most Filipinos I have had the pleasure of knowing are hopeless romantics who would love to serenade a magandangdalaga, and I think this is what makes so many of them so musically inclined. ;)

Ahnko Honu
05-10-2009, 12:05 AM
We should start a cover contest for the songs "Binibini", and "Dahil Sayo" :D

generem
05-10-2009, 04:58 AM
We should start a cover contest for the songs "Binibini", and "Dahil Sayo" :D

Damn.. I want tabs now.. Dahil Sayo Instrumental (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY_QFefnL0Q)

Cityline
05-13-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm a filipino that can't play basketball

generem
05-13-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm a filipino that can't play basketball

Me too. I have as much bball talent as AG ;)

cent
05-16-2009, 08:21 PM
i am not (sort of) but both of my parents are. both of them were born and raised in the philippines. i attended a year and a half of high school in baguio city, philippines. which only made me realize that i am not really and truly a filipino. i do whole heartedly embrace the culture however. for the very least, i do consider myself what filipinos call a phil-am. but when i was living there, i was referred to as a "u.s.c." (u.s. citizen) on more than one occasion. (long uncomfortable pause) i can eat da heck outta some balut, though. that in itself should make me an honorary filipino. screw it! i'm voting yes, with a slight feeling of guilt.

seeso
05-17-2009, 02:37 AM
A slight feeling of guilt? Why? It sounds like you're Filipino to me. You don't have to be raised in the Phillippines to be a Filiipino.

HaileISela
05-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Having pale skin is more of a social stature. Darker colored skin meant that you work outside or in the fields. If you were rich, you didnt have too so skin color was much lighter.. unfortunately, that mind set also carried over to beauty. Even now. I see older generations going out of their way to make sure they stay as light as possible.. Full face visors, gloves, and arm sleeves when driving... etc... My wife and I calls them power rangers :D then laugh

That's not just a problem in asia... in the west indies women try to get as fat and white as they can, using chicken cram pills which can produce cancer and bleaching creams which contain carzinogen ingredients... and all that because it's the ideal beauty to be fat and white. over here in Europe and US white people try to get as slim and dark skinned as possible. so they starve and go to solarium which isn't good for them either...

bongski
05-17-2009, 07:09 AM
born and raised in the Philippines!!
then moved to California when i was 16. :D

kailua
05-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Wow! Great thread. I'm not Filipino, but my former job took me there many times. About ten years ago, I went to a park/museum/restaurant place about one to two hours south of Manila. The restaurant was unbelievable. The tables were at the base of a waterfall in the water! Your feet were in about six inches of water. I can't remember the name of this place. Does anyone know the name? It is an estate of a very wealthy family. Anyway, great memories. Oh, and what's the name of the clear coconut liquor? Reminds me of tequila.:D
Edit: This was driving me nuts trying to remember, but I found it -http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1134450932044215378nRaKjW
And this: http://my_sarisari_store.typepad.com/my_sarisari_store/coconut_copra_tuba_suka_and_lambanog/index.html

rondhi
05-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Born and raised in California! I've been to Philippines once. I wanna go back again someday.

ricdoug
05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Filipino Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas plays the ukulele:

http://blogs.abc.net.au/articulate/2006/11/ukulele-revolut.html

cent
05-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Filipino Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas plays the ukulele

i don't think will.i.am is filipino, i believe it is apl.de.ap that is pinoy. i could be wrong.

seeso
05-19-2009, 02:20 AM
i don't think will.i.am is filipino, i believe it is apl.de.ap that is pinoy. i could be wrong.

You are correct. It is apl.de.ap who is Pinoy.

ksquine
05-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Hindi Pare....I'm not filipino. But I have eaten balut in Manila. Does that count? I'm a big fan of San Mig too....great binge drinking beer :cheers:

Guting
05-19-2009, 08:39 AM
lol william is straight popolo

boyfrumdaisland808
06-12-2009, 05:52 AM
im an ilocano filipino.
born in hawaii,
lived in waipahoooooo
and moved to southern california when i was 10..
i picked up my own uke just becuz it reminds me alot of
the islands...
im proud to be pinoy!

so i got a question for everyone out there!
are filipinos considered "asian" or "pacific islander"?
in my opinion i consider myself as a pacific islander..
maybe becuz i was born in hawaii but idk...
what do you think?

FHS-72
06-12-2009, 06:04 AM
I always put pacific islander when ever asked that question. Isn't the Philippine Islands in the Pacific? I know it's in the Philippine Sea, but isn't that in the Pacific?

boyfrumdaisland808
06-12-2009, 06:20 AM
I always put pacific islander when ever asked that question. Isn't the Philippine Islands in the Pacific? I know it's in the Philippine Sea, but isn't that in the Pacific?

thats what i was thinking!
and ppl been saying"well how bout japan?"

06-12-2009, 06:21 AM
so i got a question for everyone out there!
are filipinos considered "asian" or "pacific islander"?
in my opinion i consider myself as a pacific islander..
maybe becuz i was born in hawaii but idk...
what do you think?

depends on who you ask...

let me qualify my post a little. (it's a bit too early so I'll see how i far i can go) I've always joined Asian American Pacific Islander groups for one purpose to see how Pacific Islander issues are addressed. Our (Hawaiian/Polynesian) issues are marginalized in these forums because, well, we are mere numbers to them. Our collective history and issues are very different from the typical Asian issues. In fact, Asian American issues adversely affect our issues (think: glass ceiling and citizenship). Pilipinos, IMHO, fall in between the cracks. I think general Asian American thought is geared through China and Japan issues. And Pacific Islander issues geared through Polynesia. What about the South East Asians, Melanesians, Micronesians, Indian etc.? When I look at my Pilipino side, I feel a bit of both -- Asian American issues ie glass ceiling and inclusion into American Society. and Pacific Islander issues -- colonialism, land rights, etc..

so on any given day in any given context I may consider both.

jkevinwolfe
06-12-2009, 06:49 AM
After this weekend and the Ukulele World Congress, three of my best friends are Filipino and they all play ukes incredibly well. So 100% of the Filipinos I know play uke.

PS: My cousin from Chicago is Filipino, not that I'm bragging.

danged
06-12-2009, 11:41 AM

How about Kalihi? LOL!

Ahnko Honu
06-12-2009, 04:02 PM
By the way, I'm Filipino. :D

No way I thought you were Norwegian.

Anyone recognize this pamous Pilipino 'ukulele player from the early 1960s?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/poncie.jpg

06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
No way I thought you were Norwegian.

Anyone recognize this pamous Pilipino 'ukulele player from the early 1960s?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/poncie.jpg

foncie fonce.

Playscool39
06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm 100% Pinoy. Born in the Visayas.

PS. Anyone from the Netherlands?

Bram
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm 100% Pinoy. Born in the Visayas.

PS. Anyone from the Netherlands?

I'm from the Netherlands.

I'm 25% Indonesian, close enough? :D

Fred Miu
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
everyody thinks im filipino. i have a lot of filipino friends, so i should be filipino. :D

Playscool39
06-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm from the Netherlands.

I'm 25% Indonesian, close enough? :D

Most peolple think I'm Indonesian, Chinees, thai etc...but they never guess I'm filipino:p

Nice Bram, kan ik af en toe ook wat in het Nederlands zetten:D

TheWannabe90
06-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Most peolple think I'm Indonesian, Chinees, thai etc...but they never guess I'm filipino:p

Nice Bram, kan ik af en toe ook wat in het Nederlands zetten:D
niet te veel in het nederlands, ik ben zeker dat ze dat hier na een tijdje niet meer zo leuk gaan vinden...

GO GO BELGI&#203; :)

Playscool39
06-18-2009, 10:49 AM
hehehe,laten we dat zeker niet doen. So English it is.

gabzuke
07-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Its not just ukuleles that filipinos play, i know have like 50 friends that play more than 3 instruments :eek: sadly, it doesnt include the ukulele :( well i play more than 1 instruments too and i know alot of youse there too ! so probably its all in the bloooddd pareee

liagiba
08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm Filipino too :) But I'm from New York so that's really no where near Hawaii.

I started playing the ukulele (which was 12 days ago lol although I plan on continuing it for years) sort of randomly like Seeso.

I've played piano, violin, and most recently, the acoustic guitar, but it became very clear to myself that I was just not the musical type although I've always wanted to be (or I just didn't feel like practicing). It was only a week after my older brother gave me a link to Israel Kamakawiwo 'ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow and a few days before my ukulele came in the mail that I started researching the ukulele and instantly fell in love. The ukulele has come more easily to me and is more fun to me than any other instrument I've played.

It was only after that I noticed the great amount of Filipinos playing the instrument which has been really cool. I'm very proud of my Filipino heritage.

Abby :)

blitzkey
08-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Filipino from but raised in Florida all my life.
Sucks I can't speak tagalog well, but I'm proud of being Pinoy.

My dad brought me a ukulele on his visit to the Philippines last Winter.
Been playing ever since.

Howie1947
08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I'll take a San Miguel beer!

Hosh
08-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Not Filipino but I studied in Kali for a few years. Met Dan Inosanto a few times.

I'll also take a San Mig.

mikeeG7th
08-05-2009, 02:55 AM
Fili here from NY! :shaka:

seeso
08-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Not Filipino but I studied in Kali for a few years. Met Dan Inosanto a few times.

I'll also take a San Mig.

Awesome.

:worship:

katreetrunk
08-06-2009, 07:27 PM
just found this thread haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2-l5ZGlYuU

ernie halter playing dahil sa iyo, not bad on pronunciation either!

i saw a few posts from some ilocanos while reading through them all, anyone speak ilocano?! i was born and raised here in FL but i can speak/understand the dialect which surprises me too :p

and i found out a few months after i started learning uke that my mom and nanang [my grandma but the word "nanang" literally translates to "mother" in ilocano] played too, so i guess that's where i get my interest from.

and filipinos definitely love their music.

MusicIsLife
08-07-2009, 11:40 AM
100% filipino yo. Or should i say filipina xD haha. When you think about it filipinos are everywhere in the music world. Maybe that's why theres so many of us playing ukes :).

seeso
08-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Wow, lots of Filipinos and Filipinas on UU! Whoo hoo! Hmm... maybe I'll make a group.

Okee dokes, group created. Join here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=64

Ahnko Honu
08-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Wow, lots of Filipinos and Filipinas on UU! Whoo hoo! Hmm... maybe I'll make a group.

Okee dokes, group created. Join here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=64

You gonna let us guys who love Filipino Food, and San Miguel join to? :D

seeso
08-07-2009, 01:35 PM
You gonna let us guys who love Filipino Food, and San Miguel join to? :D

Any "honorary" Filipino is welcome to join! :D

Ahnko Honu
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Any "honorary" Filipino is welcome to join! :D

I forgot too, my Dad fought along side Filipino Guerrillas during WWII, and I used to go out with a Magandangdalaga right after high school. ;)

08-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I forgot too, my Dad fought along side Filipino Guerrillas during WWII, and I used to go out with a Magandangdalaga right after high school. ;)

Start the Hawaiians Hui, Ahnko.

DPinoy
08-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Go filipinos!!! Mabuhay sana ang lahat! Tayo ang future nitong mundong ito! LETS GO!!

Kataas-taasang, Kagalang-galangang Katipunan ng̃ mg̃ Anak ng̃ Bayan!
(translated: Supreme and Venerable Society of the Children of the Nation)

Playscool39
08-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Believe it or not, my last name is Pinoy. (Not lying)

:DSweet, really cool!

08-10-2009, 05:08 AM
only 2 people in the group (myself included)? where da odda 134 people stay?

katreetrunk
08-10-2009, 01:10 PM
only 2 people in the group (myself included)? where da odda 134 people stay?

just joined! woohoo!

ireallylike38
11-06-2009, 03:06 AM
HI i just wanted my name in this thread. go team!

Ortiz
11-06-2009, 05:14 AM
[QUOTE=seeso;12561]Is it just because there are a lot of Filipinos in Hawaii or is there another reason for the high number of Filipino ukulele players?

Dude I was surprised to hear/see a lot, I mean a lot of Filipinos in Hawaii. I wasn't expecting this at all...
It almost felt like I went in the Philippines for vacation instead of Hawaii ;).

Rick
11-06-2009, 09:23 AM
pinoy pride :] I'm half filipino, on my mother's side.

seeso
11-07-2009, 06:17 AM
I am an American Pinoy boy living here on the east coast of Virginia, where there's also a large presences of Filipinos, largely due to the Navy. My dad says that I am 3rd generation Igorot(mountain native).
With Filipinos natural love for music, some of us are naturally drawn to such other interests such as skating and surfing...island thing maybe?...or:rulez:of the blood?!!---LOL!:cool:

Igorot? Awesome. Weren't they also fierce warriors? Some of the only Filipinos to resist Spanish rule, if I remember correctly.

Ahnko Honu
11-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Igorot? Awesome. Weren't they also fierce warriors? Some of the only Filipinos to resist Spanish rule, if I remember correctly.

You're not thinking or the Moros of Mindanao? They fought just about everyone that tried to rule over them including the Spanish, the Americans, and even today the Manila government.

Ahnko Honu
11-07-2009, 08:49 AM
My dad says that I am 3rd generation Igorot(mountain native).

Is your dad kidding or are you folks really Igorot? During WWII my Dad spent allot of time with the Igorot people assisting them in their fight against the occupying Japanese. One story he told me was when all the Igorot women were out helping to make a road thru the mountains for the allied forces. The men were out fighting so the women did the road work. The Igorot women were out in force with picks and shovels digging into the mountainside to make a level roadway along the slopes. My Dad sees this one young girl working away with a pick while her baby was strapped to her back. My Dad asked how old the baby was the interpreter replied that she just gave birth to the baby an hour ago in the bushes at roadside. She started her shift 9 months pregnant, took a brief break to give birth, then strapped her newborn on her back and returned to work. My Dad was filled with shock and admiration at the same time. He always admired the courage of all the Filipino people but especially the Igorot. :)

PeformanceUke
11-07-2009, 09:01 AM
lapu lapu :cool:

Ahnko Honu
11-07-2009, 01:50 PM
About 95&#37; of the Filipinos here in Hawaii are Ilocano (Ilocos Norte) with a few Tagalog so always interesting to find other filipino peoples like the Igorots outside their native homeland and in the US (and those of Igorot decent), at least for me. ;) 'Ukulele brings all kinds of people together.

mokai
11-07-2009, 02:21 PM
My father's side is..
My grandmother came to Kauai in 1912

rasun
11-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Guilty as charged.

11-09-2009, 06:21 AM
About 95% of the Filipinos here in Hawaii are Ilocano (Ilocos Norte) with a few Tagalog so always interesting to find other filipino peoples like the Igorots outside their native homeland and in the US (and those of Igorot decent), at least for me. ;) 'Ukulele brings all kinds of people together.

my guess is it's just a joke and his fam is ilocano. in the surfing thread he said he's third gen from hawai`i, so my guess is he's prob ilocano and since he surfs he's probably dark so his fam just teases him abt being igorot. my filipino side used to tease me that all the time.

seeso
06-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I think this thread is no longer valid. Therefore, one last bump before i let it fade into the mist....