NUD : Kala KA-SRC-SC

mrStones

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
as some of you know (I asked advice in buying tips section.. btw, thanks again guys!) I bought a Kala Tenor, solid spruce top, solid rosewood body with scallop cutaway.
It is arrived ! And it is really awesome. Look good, but sounds great.
It is exactly what I was looking for. Strummed is great, but it really shines on fingerpicking and a volume and a sustain I didn't expect.
Setup made by the kind guys of SUS in UK and it is just perfect for me.
I will put it on test and will write a review when the reason will overcome the enthusiasm (if...) .

I made a few pictures, but I am a TERRIBLE photographer, so please forgive me, but I can assure it is a joy to see.

PA110390.jpg
PA110379.jpg
PA110382.jpg
PA110384.jpg
PA110385.jpg

That really is a thing of beauty. Kala keeps upping their game and they are really putting out some great instruments. Congratulations and enjoy it for a long time to come.

Congrats, It looks well made.
How would you compare the sound of yours to the sound sample from HMS?

Do you have a sound sample of yours? These Kala are nice looking ukes.

Very nice ukulele. I'm very tempted , it looks like a bargain. Cory seemed to like it I his video at. HMS. Just noticed that Kala has some new all solid wood ,USA made mahogany and Koa ukuleles that are plain but look and sound great at <$800 USD$. I agree with Dave, Kala has been upping their game. Congratulations.

Congratulations! Very nice!

That really is a thing of beauty. Kala keeps upping their game and they are really putting out some great instruments. Congratulations and enjoy it for a long time to come.

Thanks Dave. Frankly Kala impressed me, a lot.
In the past (well, I just begun to play last year, so "in the past" is kinda laughable but my UAS made me try a lot of ukes), I always avoided Kala, don't know why. But I had the pleasure to test a Kala Travel Tenor (a gift to my sister) and I was amazed how it sounded great and the overall quality was impressive.
So I wanted to try this and it confirmed the "wow" impression.

Congrats, It looks well made.
How would you compare the sound of yours to the sound sample from HMS?

Do you have a sound sample of yours? These Kala are nice looking ukes.

Hi Johnson, well the sound of the ukes is comparable (seems really similar to me), my playing skill and Corey's absolutely not :)
What really amazed me was the clarity of the "highs" and the richness of the "lows" (didn't expect with a spruce top). And the overall volume and sustain, of course.
Compared to my beloved Opio, well, of course the volume is not as high as that of the Opio's "loud sound cannon" , but not so far and the sound is a LOT clearer.
I am not really a fan of Aquila's new Nylgut (I love supernylgut and red series, though) but is works good on this uke. I think with fluoro would sound even better, but I will test it.

Unluckly I have not a microphone (gosh I really need one :) ) so I can't make an audio sample...

Very nice ukulele. I'm very tempted , it looks like a bargain. Cory seemed to like it I his video at. HMS. Just noticed that Kala has some new all solid wood ,USA made mahogany and Koa ukuleles that are plain but look and sound great at <$800 USD$. I agree with Dave, Kala has been upping their game. Congratulations.

I knew about the Koa elite serie, but not the USA made mahogany. I found it on HMS but not a trace on the Kala website, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Nice. It's interesting to see Kala do one with a scalloped cutaway. I said a while back that I was done buying Kala ukes, but now I'm not so sure. If they come up with a beveled armrest and a radiused fretboard, I might be in trouble. I think your is worth adding a pickup to.

Wow, that's a really nice looking one! Congratulations! I had a Kala thinline Travel Spruce top - that my friend still has on permanent "loan" - and it sounded amazing.

Also, to confirm, does Southern Ukulele Store (SUS) do proper full set-ups and lowers the action/files the frets/set-up work?
I always feel like we have so few vendors to recommend for UK buyers.

Nice. It's interesting to see Kala do one with a scalloped cutaway. I said a while back that I was done buying Kala ukes, but now I'm not so sure. If they come up with a beveled armrest and a radiused fretboard, I might be in trouble. I think your is worth adding a pickup to.

They DO a beleveled armrest with cedar top (Barry Matz reviewed it on gotaukulele.com) and seems lovely, but flat fretboard I think.
I really don't use pickups right now and I don't plan to use 'em in the future, but who knows...

Wow, that's a really nice looking one! Congratulations! I had a Kala thinline Travel Spruce top - that my friend still has on permanent "loan" - and it sounded amazing.

Also, to confirm, does Southern Ukulele Store (SUS) do proper full set-ups and lowers the action/files the frets/set-up work?
I always feel like we have so few vendors to recommend for UK buyers.

Hi Igor, thank you!
I bought the same model of uke you "loaned" as a gift to my sister this summer and is great. She really loves it.
Yes, I can confirm SUS does a full setup. At least, I think. Mine has arrived perfectly playable and with oiled fretboard so I really think they setted it up and made a great job.
I can warmly recommend SUS even to the ones who does not live in UK (I live in Italy and they have reasonable international shipping rates). They are also really nice and Alex of SUS answered to all my questions (A LOT of questions...) and helped me to choose the right uke.

Congrats. I've heard that model play on the same stage with some pretty impressive ukes, and it held it's own. I think they are a great value....and gorgeous as well.

Awesome. Glad to hear about SUS!

Hi Igor, thank you!
I bought the same model of uke you "loaned" as a gift to my sister this summer and is great. She really loves it.
Yes, I can confirm SUS does a full setup. At least, I think. Mine has arrived perfectly playable and with oiled fretboard so I really think they setted it up and made a great job.
I can warmly recommend SUS even to the ones who does not live in UK (I live in Italy and they have reasonable international shipping rates). They are also really nice and Alex of SUS answered to all my questions (A LOT of questions...) and helped me to choose the right uke.

Top Bottom