New ukulele for 5 year old daughter. Tuning?

djc227

Reaction score
I just bought a Kala KA-15S for my 5 year old daughter. My original idea was to tune it to mandolin tuning (GDAE) since I can play the mandolin and have a couple nice instruments, but the nylon strings would be easier on her fingers. (I also ordered the Aquila 5ths string set) Then I got to thinking that I might just learn the ukulele and teach her to play it in standard tuning. She'll actually probably end up playing guitar when she gets older, so I'm not sure spending the time on mandolin would be the best application. The thinking here is that maybe she would really like playing the ukulele and could start building on that right away. THEN someone suggested open tuning (GCEG) since she is so young. I'm only apprehensive about this because I don't want her to get interested and then have to re-learn the whole thing if she wants to really go forward with her playing. I asked the mandolin forum the same question, but I really want the opinion of people who actually play this instrument. What are your thoughts? Mandolin tuning? Standard Tuning? Open tuning?

I suggest standard uke tuning (GCEA) for the following reasons:

1. Many uke chords are quite simple and she can being playing some basic songs pretty quickly
2. Since uke intervals are the same as guitar intervals, what she learns on the uke can be readily adapted to the guitar
3. She won't have to learn a new tuning as her ability improves

Of the choices, I think open tuning is the least productive. Not only won't she learn the standard tuning for the uke (or guitar, or mandolin), but she will still need to learn fingerings to plays chords, but those fingerings won't match anything anyone else is doing, and she will want to learn standard tuning at some point.

There are some people here who play uke in mandolin tuning, and it's a viable alternative. I play both uke and mandolin, and I found mandolin much more difficult, so that seems to be adding a layer of difficulty, but it is one way of going about it.

In standard uke tuning, there are several one-finger chords; get her started with those so she feels like she can make music, and you can go from there.

The biggest advantage of GCEA tuning is that the majority of modern materials, including the countless YouTube videos, are in that tuning. This allows for "playing along" with videos, which is quite fun and motivating (she can also play to Grace VanderWaal's videos).

As for the ukulele being a gateway instrument, the re-entrant tuning can get a bit in the way here, but a low-g (linear tuning) on a soprano is somewhat sub-optimal. I feel the body size is just too small for a low-g (Herb Otha Sr did pull this off well, but I think he was an exception). Anyway, re-entrant GCEA is just fine and who knows, she may stick with the uke! Guitars are different beasts. (There are also guitarleles, which are ADGCEA tuned six-string instrument the size of tenor and baritone ukuleles.)

She'll actually probably end up playing guitar when she gets older, so I'm not sure spending the time on mandolin would be the best application.

The thinking here is that maybe she would really like playing the ukulele and could start building on that right away.

If you know that she will move on to the guitar later, then I think getting a small sized guitar might be the way to go. Perhaps a classical guitar if you want nylon strings. This way, there's no re-learning anything (which you seem to worry about a lot in your full post).

If you think she might like the ukulele (which is an excellent instrument, I love it), then I'd recommend standard tuning. Then she can play all songs and discuss playing with friends and at clubs without unnecessary complications.

Also, I think having experience with multiple instruments (even just within western music) is a good beginning to introduce an overall music appreciation. Kind of like learning a different language (even if only Romance languages) brings a better understanding of language. It would be even better to expose her to instruments outside of western music, but only if she's interested of course.

So, learning BOTH ukulele and guitar isn't bad at all. A combination of ukulele, guitar and Chinese lute (you can develop a taste for different musical scales of the world) would be excellent.

Start her off with standard tuning, as said above, most of what is available for learning from the internet & books is in standard tuning. :)

Welcome to UU djc227!
You are a good parent! An early start to musical instruments is great!! I agree with the standard uke tuning to start with, with all the YouTube videos she can learn from out there. Then you will see if she found the right instrument for her. Some people like stringed instruments, and others are attracted to wind or percussion, or voice. You only know by trying.
If she has expressed an interest in guitar, another good option is a baritone uke, which is tuned like a 4 string guitar. It might minimize confusion down the road, since going from baritone tuning to guitar is just adding additional strings, and not changing the tuning or chord names. The down side is there aren't as many resources out there for baritone uke (but you can use guitar charts and ignore the 5th and 6th strings).

–Lori

Last edited:
Five is very young. You can start with standard tuning and see how it goes. But if she's having trouble and getting frustrated, change to an open tuning and let her strum one chord for fun. Worst thing you can do is convince her the ukulele is hard to play.

Thanks for the input guys! It showed up over the lunch hour, and I have to say I'm kind of impressed with how nice of an instrument you can get for $54. You don't find a mandolin that sounds good for $54 FOR SURE! I may end up with a few of these in different tunings. I will say that the chords would be easier if tuned GDAE for me, but I have gigantic hands and already know the mando chord forms. The E is no problem for me on the uke, but the D is a little tough as I have to hit all three strings with one finger.

It is a little strange to me coming from guitar and mandolin that the G string is so high. I know you can drop that an octave, but will that limit playing along with the bulk of learning material out there? It's just frustrating noodling around on it and then you go to drop to the 4th string and it's high. This would be my main reason for dropping an octave. I assume it won't matter for chords, but might for fingerpicking and such?

It is a little strange to me coming from guitar and mandolin that the G string is so high. I know you can drop that an octave, but will that limit playing along with the bulk of learning material out there?

Yes, it would sound rather "experimental". :) The high-G string in re-entrant tuning is basically another melody string so that you can let the A string ring (and vice versa), which allows you to play in the campanella style. It can also be used for droning (like on a banjo). Here's a video that illustrates the differences on a tenor ukulele. And here is a video that shows campanella style. I think if you were to use a low-g string, it would be better getting a concert or tenor sized ukulele (and I'd recommend a wound low-g, but plenty here like unwound low-g strings).

... The E is no problem for me on the uke, but the D is a little tough as I have to hit all three strings with one finger.

It is a little strange to me coming from guitar and mandolin that the G string is so high. I know you can drop that an octave, but will that limit playing along with the bulk of learning material out there? It's just frustrating noodling around on it and then you go to drop to the 4th string and it's high. This would be my main reason for dropping an octave. I assume it won't matter for chords, but might for fingerpicking and such?
You can play the D chord (2220) with 3 fingers if you prefer. I don't really go for the barre version of that chord since it goes against my joints to bend backward to skip the first string. Low G is more fun for picking out melodies by ear, because those extra notes come in very handy. Strumming, it sounds different from the high G, but it is still the chord it is suppose to be. If you get advanced picking arrangements that put part of the melody on the 4th string, you might have to adjust for that. But, that is why many of us have more than one uke!

–Lori

And on that note...I decided I like it and my daughter can play a C �� So now I'm going to need another one. Thought maybe a tenor like a Kala KA-TG. Decent uke? Suggestions? Do these things even need to have a setup done? The one I just bOught measured under 3mm at the 12th out of the box.

Since you've spoken about mandolin tuning, would you be interested in an 8-string 'ukulele?
Look on YouTube for videos...

And on that note...I decided I like it and my daughter can play a C �� So now I'm going to need another one. Thought maybe a tenor like a Kala KA-TG. Decent uke? Suggestions? Do these things even need to have a setup done? The one I just bOught measured under 3mm at the 12th out of the box.

The Kala is a nice instrument, I had the concert version but have played the tenors at the local shop. Tenors are very versatile as far as alternate tunings, I tune mine dGBE like a re-entrant baritone. But my hearing isn't as good for higher pitches.

If you like picking the melodies put a low G on it, else your lowest note remains middle C - but you can down tune a tenor quite successfully to baritone tuning, DGBE, or even re entrant dGBE - it's a versatile size of uke.

Kala is a good brand, as is Ohana, I have a KA-T & think it is a pretty good uke, especially at the price. :)

My Kalas didn't need any adjustments when I bought them. I did need to adjust some of the lower priced Makala Dolphin bridge ukes when I bought a group of 9 for Christmas presents one year. 2 or 3 had intonation issues and needed a little work to resolve.

–Lori

I went ahead and ordered a Kala KA-TG. The uke acquisition syndrome (UAS) isn't nearly as bad a MAS or GAS...based on price anyway. A little less painful :) I did order the low G string from Aquila. Do you know if I'll have to file the nut to make the low G fit? I actually have nut files, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal if I do. I kind of hoped I wouldn't have to in case I want to go back to reentrant tuning, but just curious.

These ukes are pretty fun. I went through the entire beginner syllabus from the "sticky" post yesterday and had quite a bit of fun doing it. It's nice to have something around that won't wake up the family by plucking on it at night!

I don't think you will need to widen the slot for low G, I haven't on any of my ukes that have Living Water strings, or those that I tried a low G Red on, however, at the moment my KA-T has a wound low G on it, (just a spare string I had).

Thanks everyone. I love the Kala KA-TG. I may be selling my best mandolin! One question though... What is up with the aversion to pick use? It sounds so much louder and brighter with a pick, and something like a 1mm dawg rounded edge pick minimizes pick noise. I understand not using one when the song calls for fingerpicking or complex playing patterns, but why not use a pick when strumming or picking over chords as on a mandolin? It just seems that using a pick almost eliminates the often brought up issue of the uke being to quiet for "jams" and any sort of group play. Opinions?

Even though I use a pick when playing guitar or mandolin, I never got in the habit of using one with a uke, but there is no reason not to use a pick if you want to. Many good players use picks at times.

Top Bottom