noob with wrist pain

joypog

Reaction score
hi everyone! I’m new around here and I’m just started playing the uke a couple months ago! Aside from a long distant attempt at learning the bluegrass banjo and a second attempt at learning clawhammer banjo about half a year ago, I’ve not played stringed instruments.

I registered onto your forums to ask whether to get a waterman or an outdoor plastic use to go with the vintage Yamaha 60C that I borrowed from my dad, but the most recent forum conversation all seem to point towards the Outdoor use, so I think that question is pretty much answered…

But more importantly, I’ve been feeling some wrist pain the past week! I don’t *know* if its related to the recent adoption of this instrument, but the timing is highly suspicious since I’ve never had anything like this. Like most white collar folks, I’m on the computer all day, but that’s been the case for the past decade and I’ve only ever had very rare bouts of wrist pain, and never in this particular location on my wrist marked below the pinky on my left hand, see the attached photo.

I’m trying a couple things right now: stretching out my hands as much as possible during down times, and pressing much lighter on the frets (I’d say half or a third the pressure). Given that the sound seems about the same, I think I was pressing much too hard in my first couple months of self study….is that a common beginner (especially self taught) mistake?

I’m left handed, but my uke is strung standard, since I'd like to pick up the banjo again in the future. However if this keeps up, it will be very disconcerting since I really cannot afford losing my dominant hand. I like to follow standards in general but if it makes sense I’d happily restring it.

I guess I should also stay off the computer as much as possible….=) But any thoughts?! Thanks!

IMG_9826.jpg

How you are holding the instrument may be factor ... do you use a strap? If not, try that first, it may just be that you're struggling more than you think to hold the slippery little thing in place ;)

You say your left is your dominant, so likely your mouse hand, adding in fretwork has probably given you a bit of R.S.I., (i.e. your hand/wrist is complaining of over use).
It could also be how you are holding the uke, do you sit or stand? If you stand, possibly a 'strap' will help, try by tying a bit of string/cord around the body & the other end around the peg head. If you sit, try raising the neck up, so that it sits at something like a 45 degree angle. Hope this is of some help. :)

You say your left is your dominant, so likely your mouse hand, adding in fretwork has probably given you a bit of R.S.I., (i.e. your hand/wrist is complaining of over use).
It could also be how you are holding the uke, do you sit or stand? If you stand, possibly a 'strap' will help, try by tying a bit of string/cord around the body & the other end around the peg head. If you sit, try raising the neck up, so that it sits at something like a 45 degree angle. Hope this is of some help. :)
Yeah, my work computer has a wacom pen tablet, so that's not so bad, but I have been using the mouse on my home computer quite a bit lately editing some photos, so I suspect that might be an issue.

I've been playing in all positions since part of the fun of the uke is serenading my toddler as she runs around the house! I'll keep an eye out on my posture and try making a quick strap this weekend.

In researching commercial products I noticed the Uke Leash and Mobeius as popular options for ways to add a strap without a button. Any thoughts on either of those products?

Sorry, haven't used either - when I was considering straps I ended up making my own - single button on the heel of the uke & a lanyard type of strap around my neck worked for me. :)

Almost exactly what I use, costs a very minimal amount and can look perfectly tidy with a suitable choice of lanyard material (fancy cord!)

I'll also second uke1950's other suggestion of a simple length of string, see

it really does work and look "cool" in a certain "make-do-and-mend" kind of way ;)

Last edited:
I teach a beginner's uke class, and many "cock" the wrist at an unnatural angle, which causes pain. For some, perhaps it's the size, for others, just bad technique. You can search youtube for "ukulele, left hand position" or attend some local uke club meetups and observe.

Thanks! On friday evening I took a spare pair of shoe laces and made my own strap. I'm still figuring out the correct length for the strap at this time, but its definitely been helpful. Both in making me think about the proper angle to avoid cocking the wrist at an awkward angle and to keep the uke in place at once I find the better angle.

Almost exactly what I use, costs a very minimal amount and can look perfectly tidy with a suitable choice of lanyard material (fancy cord!)

I'll also second uke1950's other suggestion of a simple length of string, see

it really does work and look "cool" in a certain "make-do-and-mend" kind of way ;)
I got my method from Uncle Raggy on Youtube. Put a piec of Velcro on the back and the other side of the Velcro on a key chain on a lanyard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ1hZcQScKc

I have been having pain in the wrist of my fretting hand. After trying a few things I have figured out that that I can play my baratone uke without getting in trouble.but the soprano gets my wrist. Inflamed pretty quickly.

pressing much lighter on the frets (I’d say half or a third the pressure). Given that the sound seems about the same, I think I was pressing much too hard in my first couple months of self study….is that a common beginner (especially self taught) mistake?
definitely a common mistake, you don't want (nor need) to squish the strings into the fretboard. Just press hard enough to get a clear tone, that's the secret.

Have a closer look at her left hand: the wrist is only slightly bent in an almost natural position. My advice for beginners always is to have the neck pointing upwards ~45° with the headstock approx. on level with your left shoulder. Sounds weird and might look silly but does the trick for me.

Top Bottom