Metronome

Souper

Reaction score
Does anybody use one? I'm having a terrible time with rhythm.

I have a Planet Waves one and it is good for lots of things but I seldom use it. Mostly I use it to stay slower, 'cause I have a tendency to go faster and faster.

I use one when I am practicing a fingerstyle piece, when I'm a little unfamiliar with the song and its timing. It's also especially helpful if I'm working on one part in an ensemble piece. I like to start off super slow and work my way slowly up to speed. It's also handy to double check yourself to make sure you really are playing at the correct performance tempo. Sometimes I can fool myself that I have a part down good, but then when I play with others I realize that I need to practice a bit faster. It keeps you honest.

I have three of them, and I have trouble with rhythm too. I use mine when the music is difficult, and I'm trying to learn to use it more to speed myself up. I'm a slow person, and I will drag the piece if given the chance. Strangely, I very seldom tap my toe when I'm playing. I mostly keep time in my head.

I think, if you keep struggling with it, you can learn to use it. Other people do. It's a good tool. I'm gittin' better at it.

The biggest reason I seldom use the metronome is that I find it very distracting. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Yep, I use one a lot.

What kind does everyone use? I downloaded one for my phone. I realize I don't know how to use it.

I have a Wittner MT60. I love having a physical metronome and I can select it to have a constant beep or have a different sound play on the first beat of the measure.
https://www.amazon.com/Wittner-MT60-Pendulum-Metronome-Display/dp/B000EENFPE
Mine was a gift and I think it was priced less than these on Amazon.

One thing about a metronome, start out by playing a song at half speed or slower. For example. if the song is at 100 BPM's start by playing it at 50 BPM's and then progress to a faster tempo once you can finger it well.

i would suggest using a metronome for all playing styles. Strumming off beat is just as bad a noting off beat.

Every time I try to use a metronome the darn thing keeps straying off the beat! :cool:

I have a Wittner MT60. I love having a physical metronome and I can select it to have a constant beep or have a different sound play on the first beat of the measure.
https://www.amazon.com/Wittner-MT60-Pendulum-Metronome-Display/dp/B000EENFPE
Mine was a gift and I think it was priced less than these on Amazon.

One thing about a metronome, start out by playing a song at half speed or slower. For example. if the song is at 100 BPM's start by playing it at 50 BPM's and then progress to a faster tempo once you can finger it well.

i would suggest using a metronome for all playing styles. Strumming off beat is just as bad a noting off beat.

I have a Wittner too, but mine is cuter than yours! :p
https://www.amazon.com/Wittner-Wit-...6477722&sr=1-1&keywords=wittner+cat+metronome

:p

I bought mine 6 years ago. I am sure I did not pay as much for it as they are asking now!

Interesting.
Mine is less than 2 years old but I remember it being only around $25, new from Amazon.
The MT60 have almost doubled in price in that time.
Crazy!

Have a wind up Whittner and an app on my phone but I've yet to use it so I can't tell you if it's any good.

Top Bottom