Which Tenor Laminate for the Office?

Which tenor for the office?

• Total voters

OhioBelle

Reaction score
Greetings all around!

My current "office uke," the Lanikai concert, has been passed along to a friend for her evaluation of whether or not she likes concerts vs. sopranos, and whether she wants to play lefty or righty (she's a lefty.)

Meanwhile, my little office is uke-less. This cannot do, so I'm considering the above options. A few things to factor into the consideration:

**My tastes are strongly leaning towards the longer scale ukes (super concert, tenor, bari) with tenor being my fave.

**I have zero control over the climate in my office, so with winter coming on conditions are likely to be very dry. Thus, I must humidify or buy a laminate.

**Due to recent acquisitions, my Pono isn't getting much love in the house. I'm actually considering selling. I could take it into the office with a humidifier, but do I want such a nice instrument in the office?

**I love a 1.5 inch nut width, so I'd prefer that as well as a uke that will handle fingerstyle. I've been very intrigued by the thought of a laminate Kiwaya, but apparently those are very hard to find these days.

I welcome any and all thoughts and discussion. Thanks in advance!

I feel like usually the laminate tenor that gets talked about is the islander, which also meets your wider nut... I have the kiwaya laminate soprano and it is easily the best uke I have played in terms of tone and playability, however finding a laminate tenor from them... theoretically you could find them listed on Japanese websites as Famous ukes.

I'd get a KoAlana laminate. Don't worry about humidifier and put your Pono into rotation at home or sell it for something new! I have Fluke for car and basically what you are talking about and don't play it that much because all my solid wood tenors play so much better. I definately think the KoAlana tenor would play and sound better than a Fluke!

I've got a Takamine laminate tenor in my office that I'm happy with, it replaced a Fluke. I'd love to have a solid topped uke in my office, but the humidity varies between 20% and 80%, and the heat and AC go out at least twice a year.

Sounds like your cheapest option is the islander, MT4 or AT4 depending. I have an MT4 which plays fine but I'm not personally 100% sold on tenor scale yet, I'm not particularly a fan of the higher tension although the low action on mine actually works out okay. I just haven't found the right excuse yet to buy an MC4.

I'd recommend a Caramel Travel Tenor, I think the model number is CT-102, it is only 44 mm thick and has a beautiful tone, at just $65 it's steal too. It's not the loudest Uke. If you want a loud one try the CT-100 Zebra wood also ~$65. I tune mine to dGBE for my voice using standard Tenor gCEA stings (Fremont Blacks and D'Addario Carbons.) They are a lot softer to play and work fine. I may try some south coasts but what I'm using works fine.

You'll find them on Amazon or E-Bay

I suggested Tenor Fluke. I bought my as a take out uke and I really like it. It's robust, has good tone - I'm surprised how many people have said they like the tone and plays well. Plenty of upgrade options if you want to pay for them. Of course, taste is very personal.

I'd have a decent sounding, fairly cheap laminate, if it were me, likely a Kala, with strings to 'taste' - i.e. Living Water Low G flourocarbons. :)

As others have said Islander has the 1.5" wide nut you like and are good sounding laminates. I have their AS-4 which is a long neck soprano as my car-uke. It really has a nice sound and plays very well.

Like several have already said, sounds like you need an Islander! :shaka:

my AC-4...
IMG_20150311_125845164.jpg

Since this would be an "office uke," is volume output (high or low) a consideration?

If volume must be minimized, perhaps a RISA stick should be considered. That would give a lot of volume options to mesh with any office considerations.

Looking at the website, I'd say get two Caramels, a leftie for your friend, and a rightie for you. You could save a lotta dough, and still have something that sounds good. I'd never leave an expensive uke in an office. Out of about 800 people, there are 5 or 6 that I trust. Nice company, huh?

I voted for the Fluke. Very durable, sounds great, plays like butter, looks unique in a very good way and best of all, no need for a case or a stand. Clear a spot on your desk or work space and just leave it standing there for easy access at all times (this will have the added benefit of it being a conversation piece). I would probably go with the standard fretboard and choose a design that fits in with the decor.

Scooter

GREAT ideas, all! Some I'd not even considered, such as looking for a vintage/order laminate. that would be cool! love the idea of two caramels, but I need to give her time with the Lanikai, first. Ha ha!

Volume isn't necessarily an issue. I'm lucky enough to have an office with a door. Our little building isn't as heavily travelled as some, but in this day and age, you can never be too safe. the biggest issue is climate control.

the reason I put the Fluke on the list is exactly what some of you have described - playability/durability/funky looks. I could order one in PURPLE! But the thought of an Islander, with its Kanilea heritage and wider nut is very appealing.

Thanks to all who've given me such food for thought. I really appreciate it!

I voted for a Fluke tenor. Rugged build and good tone, easy to set down on the floor or desk.

Good point about the standability.............it would be the ulimate office deck ornament :music:

I think there is an untapped market for the MFC - mini desk-sized Flukes and Fleas!

Meanwhile, I'm looking around for an Islander. I think.... LOL! Oddly enough there are absolutely NONE to be had currently, unless I want one with a built-in EQ. I hate and despise black plastic boxes on the sides of ukes!

So this will force me to exercise that virtue of which I have very little - patience.

:iwant:

my Gretsch tenor, laminate, around $130, is very good. Not as finely finished as some alternatives, but great sound.

Top Bottom