Lesser Known Brands: Amahi, Little Grass Shack, Grace Harbor, Etc.

idxxoutoftheblue

Reaction score
When I was looking for a ukulele I came across some names that I don't see much on the internet including Amahi (these were at basically every music store around me.), Little Grass Shack and Grace Harbor.

I've been able to find a bit more info on them, but very few reviews on these brands.

I'm also curious about what people think of Caramel brand. They have an inexpensive sopranino I've been looking at but I wonder if it's better to save up and get the Ohana or Kala?

My main question is if anybody has any other info on these brands. I'm looking for an inexpensive soprano, and because I come across these brands quite frequently (except Grace Harbor. I've literally only seen one ukulele with that name) I'm wondering if it's worth giving them a try.

Of course if you have recommendations for sopranos of other brands under $100, I'd appreciate that info too!

Thank you! :)

Edit: Looking at Kahunas just cause they have some fun ones. I'm assuming they're similar in quality to Mahalos?

Last edited:
We have a really long thread going on with Caramel...a couple of earlier horror stories...generally good news as of late. Our local store has the Amahi and Grace Harbor. I almost bought an Amahi for my first ukulele and I don't think I would have been disappointed. I ended up buying a Makala instead.

Caramel has turned out pretty good for me--but do read the earlier negative reviews, too (Although I don't own one, we have purchased 20 so far for our school).

I believe that if we ever buy ukes for the schools here, they will be Caramels. I think it's a good idea to stick with tried and true. I wouldn't buy an Amahi, don't like em.

I have Caramels from Sopranino to Baritone and like them all. I have a Zebrawood Soprano for ~$45 (CS-100) I like it but seldom play it because I'm a tenor-Baritone type of guy, fret board size on the smaller ones is tough for me. For Cheap Ukuleles Caramels are good. I'm not a big budget guy. My Uke shop says they are pretty good, I took most of them in for a setup.

We have a really long thread going on with Caramel...a couple of earlier horror stories...generally good news as of late. Our local store has the Amahi and Grace Harbor. I almost bought an Amahi for my first ukulele and I don't think I would have been disappointed. I ended up buying a Makala instead.

Caramel has turned out pretty good for me--but do read the earlier negative reviews, too (Although I don't own one, we have purchased 20 so far for our school).

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to try to find that thread.

If you see this Nickie, what don't you like about Amahis?

If you see this Nickie, what don't you like about Amahis?

The ones I have tried are very heavy, thick and too quiet. Almost like they got lazy and didn't finish the sanding down of the pieces. Lotta bling, though. I don't think they're worth the prices I've seen in our local store.

The ones I have tried are very heavy, thick and too quiet. Almost like they got lazy and didn't finish the sanding down of the pieces. Lotta bling, though. I don't think they're worth the prices I've seen in our local store.

Thanks for your input! :)

When I was looking for a ukulele I came across some names that I don't see much on the internet including Amahi (these were at basically every music store around me.), Little Grass Shack and Grace Harbor.
I've been able to find a bit more info on them, but very few reviews on these brands.

Both Elderly Music and Uke Republic seem to carry the Amahi ukes, and Uke Republic started listing the Grace Harbor ukes for sale about a month ago.

I have no hands-on yet with either brand so can't help you there, but have been very happy with the customer service from both vendors many times each in the past.

see here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?108867-Rubin-Ukes-gt-Caramel-Ukes

Like a lot of mass manufactured items these days. Many different brands come out of the SAME factories. The only difference is the brand name glued to the headstock.

When it comes to inexpensive instruments, I play them one at a time and assess them individually. Brand names mean nothing to me. Just assess them one at a time.

Anthony

Top Bottom