Vintage Harmony Soprano--just bought

BluesPreacher

Reaction score
Harmony uke 1.jpg
A pic of the Harmony soprano I just bought off of eBay. $25. They were asking $36.50 OBO, so I offered $25 and they accepted. I didn't notice, somehow, that the second fret needs to be fixed. I'm hoping it will be an easy fix.

I'm attracted to vintage Harmony instruments--guitars as well as ukes. My bari uke is a vintage Harmony, and it's really nice. Now it will have a cousin in my house.

So--good deal? From the rest of the pics, it looks in good shape.

Also--what strings would you recommend I put on it?

I had one very much like that - cool uke. I paid $30 for it on eBay, and I sold it to a neighbor last year for about the same price.

My guess is the fret repair will be fairly easy. I used Aquila strings (I think)... just something fairly light. Mine sounded best when not played too hard.

Congrats on your find! I think that's a great deal.

Thanks for the encouragement! It was shipped yesterday, and should be at my house by Tuesday. I'll let you know how it turns out. I think I'll bring it to my luthier friend (he's really good--kick-tookus fingerstyle guitarist too) for a once-over in addition to the fret repair. I'm excited!

Congratulations on the Harmony!

x2 on the Martin strings. The other option that worked for me was the red Aquilas.

Attachments

• 1950's Harmony soprano.jpg
    1950's Harmony soprano.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 22
My first two ukes were the Harmony sops with plastic fretboards. They were CL specials around $20 each.

I wasn't impressed with the sound until I tuned them up to ADF#B tuning. It was like a different instrument!

I was given three that need tuners. The one set I have bought was $15.00. They really are an alright inexpensive instrument. One of our locak music teachers has 25 of them for her ukulele class. They all run the Aquila white strings.

I just checked on USPS tracking, and it said my package had been delivered. I called my son (he's home sick from school) and he said it's there and took it in for me. I'll let you know what I find. (It's like Christmas!)

My first two ukes were the Harmony sops with plastic fretboards. They were CL specials around $20 each.

I wasn't impressed with the sound until I tuned them up to ADF#B tuning. It was like a different instrument!

Did you use different chord fingering placement like on this chart? http://www.ukulele-arts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/chordTab_ADFsharpB.pdf
For instance, when tuned that way is C with one finger on the top string third fret or two fingers on the bottom two strings and apparently using a capo and second and third fret?

I just ordered D'Addario Lyltech strings for my Harmony. I still need to repair the 2nd fret.

I ordered a 2nd set of D'Addario Nyltech for my current soprano uke, as well as a set for my baritone. I hadn't touché it in a long time (I know--shame on me) and the 4th string is dark with patina/corrosion/whatever. Yuck.

Did you use different chord fingering placement like on this chart? http://www.ukulele-arts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/chordTab_ADFsharpB.pdf
For instance, when tuned that way is C with one finger on the top string third fret or two fingers on the bottom two strings and apparently using a capo and second and third fret?

Well at the time I was just learning so I simply used the standard chord positions on the song charts I had. I wasn't trying to play along with anyone! I'm more familiar with closed chord positions now and could simply move up or down the neck as needed. I seem to be playing less and less in first position open chords anyway.

Contact!

Except for the 2nd fret, the Harmony is solid. It was indeed a good find.

I can't wait to get the fret fixed, get whatever setup is needed, and put the new strings on. The strings on it are cr@p.

It probably won't be very loud, but it will have a nice, mellow sound.

I took it to my friend/music store/repairman, and he had to admit it to the hospital. He'll discharge it Wednesday when I pick it up after work. He told me if the fretboard was ebony, no prob; he would glue it down and send it home with me (outpatient procedure). But it's mahogany, so he had to do something else that would take longer. He said he would only charge me $5-$10. Sounds good to me.

He also said it was a good find, and he's not one to say something positive/complimentary unless he really means it.

Score!!

Harmony uke 2 -.JPG

There she is. With a brand-new set of D'Addario Nyltech strings.

Loose fret repaired. The strings are still settling in, as nylon strings do.

Good punchy sound.

Now...what to buy next...?

Thanks, Laura!

Having intonation issues with my new critter!

I put new D'Addario Nyltech strings on it. My repair guy said he filed the nut for the 1st string 'cause it was buzzing. No buzzing, but playing the chords in tune has been a cast iron bee-yatch. On a rusty frame. With a broken tail light.

I tune it with my Pano Tuner app on my iPhone. Then, it sounds fine. Until I play an Em chord, which I had been playing 1st string 2nd fret/3rd string 4th fret. Sounds HORRIBLE!! I tune it so that chord sounds OK, then my F chord, and pretty much every other chord, sounds awful then.

Do I need to wait until the strings settle in more?

Do I need to have my repair guy work on the nut, or the bridge?

Do I need different strings?

HELP!!

Top Bottom