Where do you strum?

Bluke

Reaction score
Do you strum (or pick) the ukulele over the fingerboard or over the soundhole? I see a lot of different approaches and know there are sometimes reasons for making the choice of either. The sound is different, for one.

Out of habit I probably strum over the fingerboard and pick over the sound hole.

-Jeff

I also strum over the fretboard. I pick right at the edge where the fretboard meets the soundhole. No reason for it.. I think it's just what happens automatically when I'm trying to get that sound that I'm looking for.

Out of habit I probably strum over the fingerboard and pick over the sound hole.

Same here -- makes sense too, because generally the sound is a little crisper over the sound hole, and a little more mellow of the fingerboard.

Last edited:
Howlin Hobbit put it best in an earlier thread explaining the differences in sound depending on where you strum.

The closer to the mid-point of the string (i.e. the twelfth fret) that you strum, the fuller the sound will be. This is because the string vibrates more evenly.

If you were to divide the strings into quarters, then video yourself strumming about 1/4 up from the bridge, then watch the thing in really slow motion, you'd note the the bottom and top quarter vibrate together, and the the middle half vibrates on its own. (This is a poor paraphrasing of something Dave Means pointed out elsewhere, but I hope it's reasonably clear.)

This produces different overtones (secondary tones???) than strumming midway along the scale length.

Not to say that even strumming smack up against the dang bridge is wrong, per se. If you're looking for the plinkier sound, that's where you'll find it.

It's simply that the physics of the strings will produce fuller sounding notes, especially on a short-scale instrument like the uke, if you strum about midway on the strings.

I agree with everything here and weirdly enough i remember HH sayin that.

I strum over the fingerboard, at about the 12th fret or so.

The reason has less to do with physics/acoustics than it does with these two things:

1. That's traditionally where the thing is strummed.
  2. When I hold the uke, that's simply where my hand naturally falls. If I were to strum a uke over the soundhole, I don't think I could hold it up without a strap. (And I ain't usin' no strap.)

JJ

My hand just likes the bottom of the fretboard (somewhere between frets 14 and 17), so I let it strum there. I tend to pick somewhere between that and the sound hole.

Last edited:
I strum exactly where the neck meets the body, which is above the 14th fret for most of my ukes.

I have long arms so my hands naturally fall over the fretboard, and also I agree with HH concerning strumming near the middle of the strings. :cheers:

At first I strummed over the sound-hole, like I do on my guitar.
But now I do realize the sound is indeed much better in the middle of the string. I only strum close the the bridge sometimes for that "metallic" sound, don't know if that is even a real word :)

I was going to "in the dining room..." but I suppose you mean where on the ukulele do I strum.

Like most people here, closer to the 12th-15th-17th fret zone. That has a lot to do with physiology and instrument size: with the uke cradled in my arms, my hand reaches that area naturally. With my guitar, it's closer to the soundhole.

When I fingerpick, I often anchor a couple of fingers in the soundboard, generally just below the extension of the fretboard, on my tenor that's in the 15-17-19th fret zone, a little closer to the soundhole than where I strum.

Near the upper frets, if I'm just strumming chords. If I'm playing up high, usually over the soundhole.

Most often in the living room, in my Lazy-Boy.... :D

Great replies! I always thought that those who strum over the fingerboard do so because they are either 1). supporting the uke with fingers on the underside next to the upper bout and then using mainly the thumb to strum which lands over the fingerboard as a result of that grip, or 2). supporting the uke between the right forearm and chest, and the length of the forearm places the strum over the fingerboard, too. These are what I see in almost all videos.

Like Dominator, I've played guitar all my life and we both use a strap to support the uke, so we are free to strum or pick it anywhere we like, since we are free from any grip that determines a hand position. I think the best sound is strumming over the soundhole, but like I said, I'm a guitarist. I can freely move from strumming over the fingerboard to near the bridge to get a variety of sounds throughout a song. And, there's no stress or fatigue from having to support the uke with your right forearm or left hand.

Top Bottom