best shop to buy a uke in hawaii

skypilot

Reaction score
we're going to hawaii---big island, and kauai----any one know scottys in kauai? wanna buy there....... looking for a kamaka ---or recommend me one----probably a concert---got a martin s o ---not too hot thanks any other suggestions thanks

Hilo Guitars on the Big Island is a great shop. Brian is very helpful and they carry Kamakas. I got mine there and would go back again. I just wouldn't get a pickup installed there - mine was put in wrong.

I second Hippie Guy's suggestion. Hilo Guitars and Ukuleles have the biggest selection on the Big Island (including Kauai). Hilo Guitars in in Hilo as you might guess but if you're like most visitors you'll probably be staying on the Kona side, about three hours away. If you decide to buy on that side, Just Ukes in Kainaliu has a good selection as well. Also check with Sam Rosen at the Ukulele Gallery in Holualoa and see what he has available. His is a tiny shop but worth the visit. There are a few other shops but those are my top picks. of the shops I mentioned, Ken or Brian at Hilo Guitars are the most knowledgeable.
Have a great trip. Aloha!

we're going to hawaii---big island, and kauai----any one know scottys in kauai? wanna buy there....... looking for a kamaka ---or recommend me one----probably a concert---got a martin s o ---not too hot thanks any other suggestions thanks

I enjoyed the way this post was written kinda like a telegram, pretty throwback... :p

Look at his user name. Skypilot is probably flying over the Hawaiian Islands right now looking for the Big Island while talking to air traffic control. Those guys don't use more words than the need to.;)

Look at his user name. Skypilot is probably flying over the Hawaiian Islands right now looking for the Big Island while talking to air traffic control. Those guys don't use more words than the need to.;)

:D:D good point... gotta get to those uke shops fast!!

Hilo Guitars looks like an awesome shop:
http://www.hiloguitars.com/Ukuleles.html
Ukes%20in%20Hilo%20store.JPG

Oahu and Maui I know, Big Island I haven't lived there in 27 years, Kaua'i I get family there but haven't been in 15 years.

thanks for yr input......lol....yeah, i gotta get to those ukes fast.... definately going t see Sam Rosen at the Ukulele Gallery in Holualoa looks like a cool place...want a kamaka but im flexable .....cant get to hilo this trip :shaka:hang loose people........:D like the flea says....uke can change the world....will check out Just Ukes in Kainaliu too

thanks for yr input......lol....yeah, i gotta get to those ukes fast.... definately going t see Sam Rosen at the Ukulele Gallery in Holualoa looks like a cool place...want a kamaka but im flexable .....cant get to hilo this trip :shaka:hang loose people........:D like the flea says....uke can change the world....will check out Just Ukes in Kainaliu too

I used to live in tiny town of Honalo located between Holualoa and Kainaliu almost 30 years ago, neither place had ukulele shops back then but you could watch movies at the Kainaliu Aloha Theater for 50 cents. Oh the good old days. :shaka:

I used to live in tiny town of Honalo located between Holualoa and Kainaliu almost 30 years ago, neither place had ukulele shops back then but you could watch movies at the Kainaliu Aloha Theater for 50 cents. Oh the good old days. :shaka:
Yeah, back then you wanted a uke you cut down a tree and carved your own. ;)

If you're going to Kaua'i, check out at least one Larry's Music location. There's one store in Kapa'a and a new one in Koloa. Everyone there is really friendly, and the selection is great. Kaua'i Music and Sound (also in Kapa'a) should also have some good stuff in stock.

Every time I tried to go to Scotty's, it was closed. Weird hours, I guess.

would anyone have a guitarlele to try?

I hope to someday visit Hawaii, and would be interested in seeing one of those Kanile'a K-1 Guitarleles. Would any of those stores carry one of those, or would I have to visit the factory? Do they have any to try at the factory?

Thanks
–Lori

Top Bottom