UAS on 'Life Support'?

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
something interesting, strange perhaps, has happened ever since I got
my Martin OX-K, High Pressure Laminate Soprano a few weeks ago.

prior to that I purchased a Kala longneck soprano and an Enya radiussed
neck concert HPL uke... but have not been playing them, or any of my
other ukes... except for the Martin OX-K!

And, as I read about everyone's new acquisitions or desired ukes, I'm not
envious or jealous at all :)

somehow, I feel very satisfied at the moment, and everything ukulele
just seems comfortable and nicely 'in place'... if you get my drift.

Anyway, not to make anyone nervous or anxious or anything, Just wanted
to share where I'm coming from ever since I received the Martin OX-K :)

NOT saying you should get one, you understand. It's just me... for now.

keep uke'in' and enjoying all your ukes!

Good for you Uncle. I like having UAS. After not buying a uke in almost two years, in the last couple of months I bought two; a Bruce Wei all solid acacia koa brown burst tenor cutaway for $100 that is very nice, and a great buy from the UU Marketplace of a Godin Multiuke for $400. I'm also continually buying and modifying bass ukes/mini basses, I'm up to eleven in the last two years of playing bass uke with The CC Strummers.

Back at the end of last year I bought a Kala long neck & loved it, so much so that it was my go to uke all year, & still gets used regularly, even though I have better quality ukes, there is just something about it that suits me, so I know where you are coming from, though yours is your new Martin, enjoy. :)

I'm in the same boat, Rod. Although I have only had it a couple of weeks, my Kinnard has removed most of the desire to play my other ukes. I still use some of them when the musical occasion arises - Godin for some really electric-y stuff, 6 string for a bigger sound - but I am completely captivated by the sound and the playing of the BKV tenor. I have only played my other Kinnard once in this time, and I had to make myself do it.

I just don't see random UAS coming back - but I could see another Kinnard in my future. Heck, I'm even going to start selling some ukes.

Tick-tock, Tick-tock...........time flies, and then it sneaks up on you

Ditto.......spoken like a true veteran of many battles. In the end I lose most of mine, but it's fun...you lose but you win

Pshhhhhhhhhha. I give two weeks tops. :p

In all seriousness, that's pretty cool and I hope you are able to continue to be content with it. I've never had more than one uke this year at a time. It just went from an Outdoor Ukulele tenor to a soprano that I was close to selling, but it didn't work out..and then I waivered.. I still have that one currently. It does everything I ask of a uke. It just doesn't have the beauty of wood....but it's nice to know that if I still have it come Winter I don't have any humidification to worry with... Of course the uke you're mentioning has some durability too. I used to own the travel guitar cousin to that uke (Martin LXK2).

Last edited:
Mahalo!

UAS can be FUN, but having a uke one enjoys...

is also FUN :)

and potentially, less expensive :)

There is a lot of truth to this statement! I see many people who constantly buy/trade in lower-end instruments, in search for that holy grail, spending a lot of money, when they should have bought that one high-end instrument that would have satisfied their UAS, and in the long run would have saved more money.

However, if one suffers from chronic UAS, then all bets are off!:cool:

There is a lot of truth to this statement! I see many people who constantly buy/trade in lower-end instruments, in search for that holy grail, spending a lot of money, when they should have bought that one high-end instrument that would have satisfied their UAS, and in the long run would have saved more money.

Easier said than done.
With all due respect... Many people can not come up with the cash for a high-end uke all at once.
You buy the best you can afford at the time and hopefully trade up.

Hey, time for a new acronym, UASOLS. (ukulele acquisition syndrome on life support) Congratulations Uncle Rod!

Don't think I'll ever get rid of my OXK. It's the one uke I own that always sounds good and I can play it anywhere, any time of the year with no worries. Pono

I think most of us have been satisfied, and then we begin to wonder ... and then wander to sites and listen, and then dream and then scheme ... and then UAS hits and we go for it.

Enjoy the peace.

Cause UAS will be coming to a home near you, yours ... in the future.

yeah, kkimura, after reading up on HPL and coming to grips with it as a ukulele
building material, and liking it, I suppose I have a settled-ness in the back of
my mind about minor dings (which don't show because it is HPL), no weather or
humidity concerns (it's like 'Formica(r)'), looks like Koa (I don't really look at my
uke(s) much anyway, esp when I'm playing them, etc.

I suppose any nagging concerns I may have had in the back of my mind as i carry
around and play any of my ukes, are now non-issues with my OX-K.

It's a Martin, I like the size and shape (wish it were a concert-scale), 'it's portable and it's cute'
(lyrics from a parody using 'Ain't She Sweet's melody called 'Play That Uke!' - full lyrics below).

keep uke'in,

Play That Uke: tune of Ain't She Sweet

Play that Uke!
It's portable and it's cute.
When you play the uke you're in good company.
Play that Uke!

Strum those strings!
Oh the wonderful delight it brings.
Folks'll sing and play and dance all day when ya
Strum those strings!

It's got 4 strings, to match your fingers!
And when you sing, the melody lingers!

Come on, Chum!
It's time to have some fun!
The Uke Sensation is sweepin' the nation!
Play the ukulele with STRUM! Hey!

NOTE: 'STRUM' = Seattle's Totally-Relaxed
Ukulele Musicians, :)

I tend to go a year with one then twinge and change it. Yup I generally only have one. :eek:

Just got a Koaloha KCM 00 and my ex uke is still here and will probably stay. So I'm good for now. :D

I agree that UAS has both inactive and active periods, and I think it's sometimes triggered by external events, too (sense of dissatisfaction, stress, needing a pick-me-up, etc.).

My UAS has quietened down after a more "acute state" between fall of last year and spring of this year, and I even sold/gave away a few ukuleles that I didn't play or bond with. I did, however, recently get a Famous (Kiwaya) FS-5G because I wanted a laminate that requires no attention to humidity and temperature. I'd have liked to pay less, but I wanted a very light instrument with a wider nut that sounds great, so there wasn't much choice. :) It's still on the way from Japan.

But between the instruments I have, spanning three tunings and three sizes, I feel pretty settled. I'm non-bindingly on the list of a builder, so I have about a year to decide if I want a cedar tenor, cedar guitarlele, classical guitar or soprano, or nothing at all. This is actually a good UAS-killer, too: something to look forward to and waiting for.

Rod, I hear ya. My UAS is in remission too. Ever since I bonded with my Cocobolo Ukulele, I barely notice other ukes. Tammy (my mate) who has never had UAS, was infected with it when a friend of ours put a brand new Cocobolo Uke up for sale. There was no way she was letting anyone else have it. Now she has it hidden, even from me!
I did get a tetch of UAS the other day and ordered a new banjolele ( to augment our Irish tunes), but that's not a uke, right? So it doesn't count, right?

Sounds like a remission success story! Of course, shopping sure is fun, if you have the time and money.

I saved for quite a while to get my "satisfying" feeling. It was worth the wait and all the saving.

Top Bottom