Soprano Jack Position

mikef

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about to get a pick-up (Mi-Si) fitted to a soprano uke and wondered what the consensus is about the position of the jack input?

I have three sopranos with pre-fitted pick-ups with jack inputs that are off centre, that is they point in varying degrees towards the floor.

I know putting the jack input dead centre is common particularly as it can double as a strap button but my instinct is to follow the trend of my others and make it off-centre as I will never use a strap on a soprano anyway and due to the smaller size my right arm may catch the cable if it were centred... I assume this is why my pre-fitted trio are done this way.

So my thinking is centre it for larger ukes, off-centre it for smaller ukes... but I invite your comments and advice :)

Mike.

I have a concert uke, which has a MiSi Trio fitted through the end block, it came this way, but it might need that thickness of wood to secure it.

My RISA concert solid has it mounted at the bottom, & my RISA Uke Ellie has it mounted in the end, both passive pickups.

All my other pickups include batteries with the pick up jack socket, they are all mounted off centre.

Curious your battery pick-ups are all off centre... I wonder if it's a weight balance thing, mine are all the same.

Another thing to consider I would think is the impact on the uke if someone stood on the cable. I can see more potential uke damage from a centred socket than an off-centre one where the jack is more likely to just slide out.

I only play tenor and bass ukes with straps and personally I don't like combo button/jack, I find they don't hold the strap well. I have all my jacks not centered, lower on the side of the bout and always use an right angle end on the cable to my wireless transmitter.

Top Bottom