What does your uke say about you

Rllink

Reaction score
I was looking at my Mainland yesterday when I put it away. It is a beautiful instrument. I love the glossy. I noticed that there is getting to be some wear and tear on it, especially on the back of the neck, the fretboard, and below the strings where I strum it. It looks like someone plays it a lot. I like that. Whenever I think about a new ukulele I think about how many hours I've played that Mainland to get it to look like that. The longer I play it, the more it looks played. So for me at least, my ukulele says, "this guy plays a lot." I'm just afraid that if I got a new shiny ukulele, it would just say, "this guy got a new ukulele." So I thought that I would throw that out.

I also like the character of a well played instrument. Every little scuff, scratch, and ding on my number 1 tells a story.

I have only one soprano uke. I've installed strap button and changed tuners and set up both nut and saddle by myself. This uke might say to me that your skill is not yet enough to play music with me.

Because I have so many ukes and bass ukes, most don't show much wear since I rotate through them.

Mine probably say that I like traditional instruments of very high quality, that I am a bit obsessive and that I spend too much on ukuleles.

Having a little trouble with making a commitment, aren't you?

My uke(s) does not talk (that I know of), at least while I'm near it (maybe that is the explanation for the voices in my head? hmmm), so I do not know what it might say about me (to other folks) LOL...

...however it does make a pleasing noise when I victimize the strings and agitate them from their silence and resting inertia.

I show myself out now...

My ukes are polite and don't talk trash about me or about each other. My tenor guitars, on the other hand ....

My ukes all say "This guy is really lazy and or cheap about changing strings."

My Ukes say that I have class and style, I'm trying to be the person my Ukes think I am...:shaka:

Probably that I am an unfaithful SOB because I fool around with others

Last edited:
I like the idea of an instrument with some character - my Kala tenor has a couple of dinks already and is starting to look a little 'played in'.

Willie Nelson's guitar got a mention already. I was also thinking of Woody Guthrie's...

Woody-Guthrie-nylon-string-this-guitar-kills-Fascists-circa-1940-320x400.jpg

My ukes say that if I practiced a hell of a lot more, I'd play a hell of a lot better..........:music:

My Ojai tenor is very plain, with significant wear on the redwood top, and sounds like an angel

Top Bottom