Which string is the first string on my ukulele?

zztush

Reaction score
Strings are added in bass side (green arrow) in harp, piano and any other string instruments. 6 string bass has two more strings on bass side. Hence our first string is on the lap side. On the other hand, scale starts from bass to treble (red arrow), we call our string set GCEA.

image upload

My neighbor has started ukulele lately and he gives me many interesting questions.

Last edited:
Your lap side string is your first string on the uke (or guitar, etc.). Hence why people refer to having a wound 3rd or wound 4th string - the two bass strings.

My first ever guitar teacher back in 1979, answered this question for string numbering to position...

"BASS to your FACE"

but count UP from treble to BASS

and explained that when holding the instrument in playing position string one is closest to the floor, and then whatever was the highest PITCH is the LOWEST string number and CONVERSELY the lowest PITCH is the HIGHEST string number.

Works no matter how many strings, and yes it STILL works with 'standard' re-entrant tunings too since the lowest PITCH string is usually still closer to your FACE than to your FEET.

FYI: for some odd reason violin, and other bowed instrument players like to name the notes and string numbers totally opposite to this, seems way FUBAR to me the way they do it...

FYI: for some odd reason violin, and other bowed instrument players like to name the notes and string numbers totally opposite to this, seems way FUBAR to me the way they do it...

EXAMPLE:

Bass guitar is strung EADG, lowest pitch is 'E' and is string '4' and is the BASS in 'BASS TO YOUR FACE'

Violin, Mandolin, etc are described often as being strung EADG, but this is actually REVERSE of the string pitches in ascending-pitch-order, which are IN FACT GDAE from lowest to highest as in 'BASS TO YOUR FACE', and yes I know the way violin is held with the instrument in a totally different position than most fretted guitar-family or mando-family fretted instruments...

Violin, Mandolin, etc are described often as being strung EADG, but this is actually REVERSE of the string pitches in ascending-pitch-order...

As a violinist I had never considered this, but now you point it out.... But the E string is called the first string, and the G string is the fourth. The E string is also called the top string, which is logical as it has the highest pitch.

I'm a very new uke player and it has taken me a little time to learn the string descriptions, as to me the top string should be the A!

As a violinist I had never considered this, but now you point it out.... But the E string is called the first string, and the G string is the fourth. The E string is also called the top string, which is logical as it has the highest pitch.

I'm a very new uke player and it has taken me a little time to learn the string descriptions, as to me the top string should be the A!

You'll get there soon, just don't give up! :)

Top Bottom