All Solid Tenor Decision - Kala, Pono, Ohana, Cordoba

djc227

Reaction score
Hey guys I could use some help. I'm looking for an all solid wood tenor ukulele, but I don't have the option of playing before I buy. We live right in the middle of nowhere when it comes to ukulele access (Kansas). Here is what I've narrowed it down to so far, but I'd definitely listen to suggestions. I'd really like sold Spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides with gloss finish. Tone is #1 priority but I do care about the looks of the instrument. Here is what I have so far:

Kala KA-SRT/MA (Michael Aratani model) - All Solid Spruce top, Rosewood back and sides. Gorgeous instrument with slotted headstock, but satin finish. I wish I could tell if I'd still like it. If this had a gloss finish I'd have bought it already. $419 w/uke crazy canvas hard case.

Pono MTD-SP - Spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Also a gorgeous instrument. I'd have to sacrifice the rosewood back for mahogany on this one, but would have a gloss finish Pono. $559 + $50 hardshell case = $609

Cordoba 32T - Spruce top, Rosewood back and sides. Meets all criteria, but I am completely unfamiliar with Cordoba. Comes with case @ $449.99

Ohana TK-470G - Spruce top, Rosewood back and sides. Very nice looking. Has the comfort edge also. Again, I'm not familiar with Ohana, and it's pretty close to the same price as the Pono. I do really like the look though. Sound samples hard to find on this one. $554 + $50 hardshell case = $604

What would you guys do? Best value for the money? I admittedly have UAS right now, but I'd like to get something that will quell that thirst for a year or two. I just started ukulele, but played guitar and mandolin before so I picked this up really quick and I absolutely love it. Selling a mandolin right now to finance the purchase of a solid wood uke!

Of those, I'd get the Pono. I feel it's above the others in terms of value and quality. It should also be easy to resell it if/when you upgrade.

Dont forget to check out Mainland Ukes.

I have 3 all solid mahogany Mainlands -
--a longneck concert pineapple
--a slothead gloss classic tenor
--and most recently a classic concert matte finish

With each one you can truly hear the mahogany wood 'SPEAK' to you so much more so than my laminates, and laminates were all I had before I got a Mainland.

Mike is great guy and super easy to deal with and all the ukes are setup to perfection by him in the shop before shipping, and as such the intonation is near-perfect and even better than my Fluke and Flea ukes, and I am simply mental about intonation...and I was very impressed with each Mainland uke, for sound, for feel and for intonation.

see here: http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=10&categoryId=3
[EDIT]
sorry, forgot to add, solid spruce model is here: http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=95&categoryId=3

Last edited:
I have both a Kala and a Córdoba. Both are solid acacia. I find both to be well built, quality ukuleles. I keep the Kala in high G, the Córdoba in low G. I alternate between the two based on the songs I am playing

Last edited:
Do you have a preference on what the neck is like? I haven't played any of the ukuleles that you mention, but someone here can verify if there are differences in the neck or not. My understanding, such as it is, is that the Pono has a thicker neck than most ukuleles, which may or may not make a difference for you.

Hawaii 50 - That Tri Back was my other pick! I didn't list it because with a $50 case it would be $449 ($30 more than the Aratani model). I love everything about the Aratani model except the satin finish. My wife likes the Tri Back also.

Joyful Uke - I don't really have a neck preference. Holding a D is the only chord that bothers me if the neck is too thin, but I have a Kala KA-TG now and it's ok. My hands are huge, so a thick neck would never bother me.

Do you have a preference on what the neck is like? I haven't played any of the ukuleles that you mention, but someone here can verify if there are differences in the neck or not. My understanding, such as it is, is that the Pono has a thicker neck than most ukuleles, which may or may not make a difference for you.

This is a good point and one I was going to mention. They all have a nut width of 1-3/8" but Pono has the deepest neck, some like it, some are indifferent, others find it too fat. Coming from mandolin you should be fine.

As much as I love Pono, I own three, Kala Mike Aranti model has great sound. Hawaii 50 basically lives at HMS and has played them all so his opinion cares a lot of weight.

I would go with the Kala Mike Aratani model....the tone and finish very nice.....not a gloss finish but still very nice..i have played all the ukes you have listed..good luck with your choice....

if you want nice and glossy this Kala hard to beat..tone wise it is nice too
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...on-all-solid-spruce-rosewood-mango-tenor.html

Hawaii 50 - If you're still watching the thread, which of those Kalas do you like the best? Given the fact that you have actually played them I'm curious which you think is better. I assume the sound is close since they are the same brand and essentially the same material. I like the abalone and headstock on the Aratani model, but like the gloss and back on the Tri Back model. Keep in mind I'll probably base my buying decision on your response ;)

I recently sold my Pono MT(S)-PC to another UU member here, and I thought it was a fantastic value compared to >$1000.00 models out there. That being said, I had 3 Pono's before I sold it, and I have to say that sacrificing your preferred wood choice of Rosewood for Mahogany would give me pause. I have the Macassar Ebony w/ spruce top model, and it sounded nothing like the Mahogany w/ spruce top model. The Mahogany was brighter and punchier, which is fine if that is what you are looking for.

As for the neck profile Down up Dave mentioned, I think if you are new to the instrument it will not bother you.

One final note. George at Dixie Ukulele (UU member) is having a going out of business sale. He has some great deals on Pono ukes. Last I talked to him he had a new Pro Classic Rosewood/Spruce RTC (S) PC available for $575.00 plus shipping. Call him at 727-493-1845

Wow thanks! I didn't want to bother him in the evening so I sent him an email.

Last edited:
Hawaii 50 - If you're still watching the thread, which of those Kalas do you like the best? Given the fact that you have actually played them I'm curious which you think is better. I assume the sound is close since they are the same brand and essentially the same material. I like the abalone and headstock on the Aratani model, but like the gloss and back on the Tri Back model. Keep in mind I'll probably base my buying decision on your response ;)

i am at The Ukulele Site right now and Corey and Noah like the tone of the Mike Aratini model......hope this helps

I ended up contacting George at Dixie Ukulele and ordered the Pono RTC(S) PC. I really wasn't ready to buy until my mandolin sold, but it was just too good of a deal to pass up. Anyone have a recommendation on strings that would sound nice on this model? I have a spare set of the Aquila Nylgut low G, but didn't know if there is a better option.

Glad you got that Uke djc227. I almost got it myself, but I am trying really hard to stop buying for a while :)

Regarding strings, with spruce top, I find Aquila Nylgut strings a bit bright. I would recommend Oasis warm low G (smooth wound). I am going to try worth Browns on my ETSH (S) PC uke later today. I will let you know how they sound in a few days.

I had bought a few sets of Southcoast strings on recommendation from a builder who is doing custom instrument for me. I did not like them on an all myrtle Mya Moe I recently got here second hand, but I tried a set on my Pono ETSH5 (C) PC and I really like them on that instrument. The model I am using is LML-NW. All four strings are fluorocarbon.

If you like low G try South Coast HML-WB they come with a wound 3rd and 4th which I love. Another great string is Oasis warm low G, great value as it is a double length set, $6.00 a package from Elderly Instruments.

One last note on strings for Pono Tenors:

I personally find strings impact my Pono Tenor ukes more than any other uke I have. When my first Pono arrived, I was very disappointed about how it sounded and played relative to my taste. I was tempted to return it. It had Koolau Gold strings on it. They had probably been on the instrument for at least a year. Some may love the feel and tone of those strings, but to me they could not have been a worse fit. I put some D'Addario all fluorocarbon strings on it, and the difference was night and day. I couldn't put the instrument down it was such a joy to play. So, I highly recommend you spend some time, energy and unfortunately money, researching strings and most importantly trying them out. You will find a lot of different opinions on here about strings, but the one constant seems to be that when people find that special string that works for them, it really has a positive impact on their relationship with the instrument.

Since your coming from mandolin, you may like wound strings on Low G and C strings, but for me, I prefer all fluorocarbon string sets or at least fluoro on C E & A and I warming up to smooth wound round strings for low G.

Good luck and happy strumming!

Last edited:
I have a rosewood/cedar concert Ohana and it is lovely. A pretty light build. Feels great to play. Lovely sound and sustain. I have been very pleased with it. It is a concert. So, out of those four, I would probably go with Ohana again.

Top Bottom