Name that tuner

Rubner?

Gotoh stealth?

Schaller........

Hipshot? I know those are your jam, kind sir :rock:

Hipshot? I know those are your jam, kind sir :rock:
And that IS the clue! Never heard it stated that way, but I like it; someone's been paying attention. Not a fan of anything silver, and prefer "Black Chrome" type of black (ie: Grovers) instead of this type of "lacquer" black, however, those mixed with the brass open gears gets my wheels turning, almost as much as gold (my fav).

The other clue being a custom KoAloha, which pretty much wipes out the cheap stuff.

Booli, giving it a good shot - kudos there. Stuck with the higher end stuff (except Ping. . . ).

Digging very, very deep into memory, these are all I could come up with further...(beyond what has been offered previously above)

Alessi? GraphTech? Robson? Waverly? Wilkinson? Golden Age? Kluson? Sperzel? Schertler? Mighty Mite? Strukture?

beyond these, I'd have to go off searching online like via Google, and methinks that would be cheating...so if it aint one of these, you got me stumped.

Maybe it's a custom one-off design if KoAloha has their own metal shop to fabricate such parts from brass and die-cast billets, and have re-purposed one of their spray booths for doing a baked-on, gloss-over-powder-coat of the black chrome paint...but this all seems like lots of labor and cost for a one-shot deal unless they are offering these tuners as regular inventory and as an upgrade option, where they can do them in batches, otherwise it's likely not cost effective to fabricate them in sets, one at a time for each uke.

Digging very, very deep into memory, these are all I could come up with further...(beyond what has been offered previously above)

Alessi? GraphTech? Robson? Waverly? Wilkinson? Golden Age? Kluson? Sperzel? Schertler? Mighty Mite? Strukture?

beyond these, I'd have to go off searching online like via Google, and methinks that would be cheating...so if it aint one of these, you got me stumped.

Maybe it's a custom one-off design if KoAloha has their own metal shop to fabricate such parts from brass and die-cast billets, and have re-purposed one of their spray booths for doing a baked-on, gloss-over-powder-coat of the black chrome paint...but this all seems like lots of labor and cost for a one-shot deal unless they are offering these tuners as regular inventory and as an upgrade option, where they can do them in batches, otherwise it's likely not cost effective to fabricate them in sets, one at a time for each uke.

You my friend have been around a while!

Me? I guess I've been around here too long, for in post #8, those that know me (well) and how I write (or don't write) got that they're Hipshots. Its no secret what my favorite tuners are (or my favorite strings), and Soupking got it.

Your list is very thorough, and methinks Google still may not have turned up Hipshots, even if you went there. I'll venture stumping you is not an easy thing to do when it comes to ukulele. . .

Last edited:
You my friend have been around a while!

Me? I guess I've been around here too long, for in post #8, those that know me (well) and how I write (or don't write) got that they're Hipshots. Its no secret what my favorite tuners are (or my favorite strings), and Soupking got it.

Your list is very thorough, and methinks Google still may not have turned up Hipshots, even if you went there. I'll venture stumping you is not an easy thing to do when it comes to ukulele. . .

LOL, mahalo brother!

Playing guitar and other instruments, going back to the very first from nearly 42 yrs ago, I've had lots of exposure to many manufacturers, and being a tech-head or technophile, I try to keep top-of-mind certain things that impress me, and GOOD tuners impress me and bad ones make me very frustrated and I've seen/used my share of both over time..

I only took up the uke in 2013, but my learning curve has been quick since I have other portable skills from which to build upon, but yes, I can be stumped, and more often now as my memory and vision are getting worse in a noticeable manner at least to me - it's not any fun once you pass 40 and you get beat by declining functions ---

But hey brother, I had fun trying to guess and I also learned that Hipshot also makes uke tuners, which I did not know before, I thought only guitar, bass and uke-bass but not regular uke, so good for you to have taught me something new.

Shaka! :)

Top Bottom