Which strings for a resonator?

DonPedro

Reaction score
HI guys, advice please. I've just purchased a Ashbury resonator uke with metal body. any advice on best string and tuning options would be appreciated. I know it's never going to be a National or a Dobro but I'd like to get some gutsy blues sounds from it. Thanks.

For reallyblues socks knockin' sound, go Aquila reds with a low g on 1 and 4.
Pull 1 up to low a. gCEa That's what I have on my old Johnson, and it speaks! Try a C chord as 3433, and slide from 2322 or just on and off of the 4 when doing 3433.
play F7 as 2313 and vary with 2013 G. G7 is4535 with slide of 3424 and walk down from 4535 to 3424 to 2313 and back to 3433. Try Frankie and Johnny.

Thanks TCC.

Thanks for info. Crazy, but not 1hour ago I ordered 2 sets of Aquilla reds with low G. Spooky. Thanks also for chord info. K

To clarify: Do you mean replace the traditional G string with a low G tuned to low G. And replace the original A string with a low G string tuned to low A. Sorry if I'm being dumb. K

Here's what Resouker recommends: Reso Uker (RAGZDADDY BUSKER) use d"addario EJ65T strings on it. And if you are a low G sort of player. USE ONLY THE Labella Pro 100 lowG. Also labelled by Fremont as their "Soloist Squeakless" low G. But it is made by Labella.

Top Bottom