To loosen or not to loosen, that is the question.

KanePono

Reaction score
I'll be traveling more with my Ukuleles in the future and thought that others' opinions and experience might help me decide whether to loosen the strings or leave them at pitch when ukes are shipped or taken along on a flight. In the past, I've left the strings at pitch while transporting in a polyfoam or hard case. I've also received shipped instruments, sometimes with strings slacked and sometimes at full tension. What is your opinion? Is it best to loosen the strings on a uke as a flight carry-on or just leave at pitch? Also how should the strings be prepared when shipping or receiving a ukulele via UPS, et.al. ?

I usually travel with mine in my checked suitcase so it goes into the cargo hold. I take some of the tension off the strings before I pack it. I don't know if it does anything, but it doesn't hurt anything, and I can't think of any reason not to.

I always loosen the string tension when shipping a Uke. You don't know where it will end up...... like sitting all day in a 100 plus degree storage room or container. A few hours at 110F and off pops the bridge if under tension.

I always loosen the string tension when shipping a Uke. You don't know where it will end up...... like sitting all day in a 100 plus degree storage room or container. A few hours at 110F and off pops the bridge if under tension.

Agree! Detuning a uke by a key or two prior to shipping should be routine. I doubt too many folk expect a uke to be "in tune playable" right out of the box. It's hardly an inconvenience to tune up a new uke and the protection that shipping detuned provides can keep a "new uke day" as a happy one.

If carrying on your uke, you don't need to worry about loosening string tension as the temperature is moderated at normal room temp (more or less).

If carrying on your uke, you don't need to worry about loosening string tension as the temperature is moderated at normal room temp (more or less).

It's unlikely, but I've seen people get asked to check their carry-ons when the overhead bins got full. Might be better to just travel with it loosened just in case.

Top Bottom