Which soprano? Kiwaya or Koaloha

erikro

Reaction score
I am looking at the Koaloha standard and the Kiwaya KTS-4. I know these are two different animals. The Kiwaya gets nothing but great reviews about its sound and craftsmanship. I really like the looks of the Koaloha. One piece top and back is nice. Nothing like a Koa uke from Hawaii.

Thanks,
Erik

In the end we both know you'll probably end up with both of them at some point. It's the nature of the beast.

Personally I'd start with the Koaloha. I've got a concert (actually a pair now) which has become first one out of the case on most days and the one that I play for our Ukulele Orchestra. Bright, Loud and beautifully made. I'll get us a soprano at some point for my lovely wife to play.

(Though Mr. Middleton's review of the Kiwaya is pretty intriguing...)

I do enjoy that review by Ken Middleton. I have watched it several times. He should do that for a living. I could see him having a column in a magazine. You have two Koaloha concert models? Do you play soprano often at all?

Erik

So I guess you have no way to play them both, or at least one, directly? They are both prety expensive, so if you have the possibility to do so, try and meet "your" uke.

Besides the point maybe, but if you say there is nothing like a Hawaiian made koa uke... either look around more or get the Koaloha ;)

I wish I could play ahead of time but I dont have any near me.

Do you need more than 12 frets? If you do, the KoAloha is not an option since it has just 12 frets. A Kiwaya KTS-5 or above has 17 frets.

Both sound great. I haven't played a KoAloha soprano in a while, but I remember it being loud and bright. I have a Kiwaya KTS-7 that sounds kind of concert-like to me. Not really like a vintage Martin soprano at all. I like it very much.

Basically, between the Kiwaya and KoAloha, you should be happy with either one, so it comes down to styling and the number of frets you need.

I do enjoy that review by Ken Middleton. I have watched it several times. He should do that for a living. I could see him having a column in a magazine. You have two Koaloha concert models? Do you play soprano often at all?

Erik

Yes, two concerts. I saw a twin for the first recently (a 2000 model with one piece top and a round soundhole) and had to bid on it. (Got it pretty cheaply too because of a poor listing.) Part of the thinking is that the wife and I could have matching instruments, but she prefers the soprano scale.

So after getting that one, I haven't been playing soprano quite so much lately. Well that and the lovely wife has kind of taken over the Kelii soprano for herself which was the one I most played. But usually I go back and forth depending on my mood and what's nearest at hand.

Agreed on Mr. Middleton, though I do enjoy his unassuming charm on the vids that might get lost in print.

Why, pray tell?

I've played several Kiwayas, and to be fair, I'm not sure which models. While they were all very nice, they just didn't do anything for me.

Besides loving the people of Koaloha, I've never played a Koaloha I didn't like.

i can't speak to the other brand.. i have never played one to my knowldge.. i did play a TON of ukes that i do not remember in Hawaii.. but i will say.. i love my Koaloha Concert uke... it is the best sounding of all! and i even love my unborn Koaloha Tenor that is in the works in the factory... it is a ukulele not a choice!

Everything I have read about it states that it is a well made uke and sounds great.

A week ago I hadn't played any of them, nr any other fancy sopranos, but that all changed on saturday when I was invited to a "soprano ukulele blind test" in stockholm! It was totally awesome (albeit a litttle nerdy perhaps...but I am a uke nerd and proud of it!).

There I got to play (if my mind serves me):
Koaloa
Kiwaya
Pete Howlett
Martin (vintage)
Gibson (vintage)
Kamaka
Kaniela
Brüko cedar
Mahalo (thrown in to confuse everybody during the blind test)
Argapa (hand made by Sven, the host of the party and UU member)

And, back to your topic, I can say that both the Koaloa and the Kiwaya struck me as awesome! The sound of the Koaloa got my vote over all the rest in the blind test, but when playing them myself I fell in love with the Kiwaya. It was pure love! So light and smoothe you hardly noticed it in your hands, and so easy to play. Although it's rather plain (exactly like an old martin), in my book it's absolutely beatiful. But then again, to Koaloa won my vote in the blind test for sweetest sound...

You can't go wrong with either one of them I think. (if your biggest problem is to choose between a Koaloa and a Kiwaya, you have a pretty sweet life...)

Cheers

I sell both in my store, and love them both!

The Koaloha is bright and 'out there', the Kiwaya mellower and 'finer' - really Japanese in that sense.

You get what you pay for with both ukes. The Kiwaya is not overpriced, nor is the Koaloha.

And yes, I do think you will end up with both too (that is, if you can afford it)!

My store offers a return policy (also with online purchases), and I am sure there are others that do too - when you spend this sort of money you do want to have the option of exchanging it (even if it costs a bit of extra postage).

I don't think you will send either back, but just in the off chance it is just not your thing...

[...] if your biggest problem is to choose between a Koaloa and a Kiwaya, you have a pretty sweet life [...]

Now that's what I call philosophy! :D

I own both a Kiwaya KTS4 and a Koaloha soprano (although mine is a pineapple). I definitely agree with those who have said you will love either one. Both sound wonderful, are well made, have perfect intonation and are easy to play. The main difference is in the sound. If you prefer the sound of mahogany, go for the Kiwaya. If you prefer the sound of koa, go for the Koaloha. I guarantee you won't be disappointed either way.

Top Bottom