Ukulele Conundrum

whmeltonjr

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase a Kamaka HF-3 D2i, but I'm on the fence about it. I currently have an HF-3 100th anniversary that I would need to sell to offset some of the cost of the D2I. I'm just not sure if there will be enough of a difference in playability and sound to justify the cost. It's certainly a beautiful ukulele, but I don't want that to be the sole reason I purchase it. Any thoughts on what you all would do if you were in my shoes are appreciated.

I don't know a lot about Kamakas and the differences of these two, but I would rather have the 100th anniversary just because it's an anniversary model.

depends on how important aesthetics are to you and what your tastes are in that regard.
you're really only paying the whopping extra for cosmetic appointments and figured wood.
sound and playability should be essentially the same, slotted head notwithstanding.

I don't know a lot about Kamakas and the differences of these two, but I would rather have the 100th anniversary just because it's an anniversary model.

The D2I is the slotted headstock anniversary version.

depends on how important aesthetics are to you and what your tastes are in that regard.
you're really only paying the whopping extra for cosmetic appointments and figured wood.
sound and playability should be essentially the same, slotted head notwithstanding.

See that's where I'm stuck. I figure they're going to sound pretty much the same, but can't say for sure. The looks alone aren't worth the extra money I would have to spend, that's for sure. There would need to be a difference in tone to justify the dollar difference for me.

Last edited:
I'd say if you are torn on it, don't buy it. Sounds like you are happy with the one you have and you are wobbling on the new one.

What would be the purpose of selling one you already like to fund one you aren't sure of?

I'd say if you are torn on it, don't buy it. Sounds like you are happy with the one you have and you are wobbling on the new one.

What would be the purpose of selling one you already like to fund one you aren't sure of?

This ^ sounds like good advice to me. Play your existing Kamaka for a while and try to remember why you love it - maybe after doing this you'll lose interest in the other uke, and/or be less motivated to sell it.

If aesthetic appeal is important to you, then it matters, because you'll be drawn to the instrument more and play it more. Connection matters. Bonding matters, whatever the cause. So to me, that is a good reason because it will impact your improvement and enjoyment.

Personally, I go a bit in the opposite direction where I prefer cheaper, plainer instruments as I then don't have to worry so much about getting them dinged or scratched, and I'm just more comfortable using them as every day tools. That makes me play them more. This isn't entirely rational either, but it's a concern and I just go with it. :) I generally prefer the more minimalist mindset where I look for the sweet spot between form and function: a great sounding uke that plays well and is crafted well, but that doesn't have to be a looker or sport fancy features.

But I don't think there is anything wrong with putting value on aesthetics. It's an absolutely valid approach. Nice things are nice! The D2i may, in the long run, have a better resell value because even less of them exist.

each Kamaka sounds different...but the D2I is as close to a custom Kamaka you can ever get..higher grade Koa,slothead headstock,binding,abalone purflng/rosette,Ebony fretboard and bridge....not many made so value will keep as it gets older.....

My question is, "What prompted you to consider it in the first place?" Maybe that would shed some light. If you have the opportunity to try before you buy, I'd say try it. There's variation across ukes and how it compares to your existing uke might sway you one way or the other.

each Kamaka sounds different...but the D2I is as close to a custom Kamaka you can ever get..higher grade Koa,slothead headstock,binding,abalone purflng/rosette,Ebony fretboard and bridge....not many made so value will keep as it gets older.....

This is my main reason for considering one. I've loved the look and sound of the slotted headstock Kamakas I've seen, and viewed the D2I as my best shot at getting a custom.

This certainly isn't going to apply to everyone, but two things I have done on my big purchases are:

1) Pray about about it and give it a night.
2) Talk to my significant other about it.

If you are an atheist and have no significant other person in your life, those two steps don't help. But #1 is useful even without prayer because it puts a decision off to another day so you can rationally think about it (and I do think our minds do an incredible amount of processing while we sleep); and #2 could be expanded to parents/friends/etc.

I recently bought a Pono, which is still in transit (I have some not very nice things to say about Fed Ex at the moment), but the purchase itself was something I wasn't sure about, as I am pretty happy with my beginner collection (see the signature). However, the combination of Dixie's closeout and the idea of a slotted head Pono with a radius fretboard and truss rod was too tempting at the price point--so I did both of my suggested steps above and ordered it.

You might get another chance at this instrument down the road, used. And it might even be less expensive used (something I couldn't say about the Pono that I bought). The question comes down to whether you can and will use it. If so, buy it and play it. If not..wait for a used one in the future.

I had to research the two as i was not familiar with the model. I found both on the ukulele site with a demo and pictures. WOW to both! I'm a concert guy with the odd passing soprano but WOW!

I see where your coming from and may not help but... I'm guessing once it's gone it's gone and being as it's rare/limited it will rise in value. I would see it as a chance to get a no stop's pulled version of what i have. Heck from what i see ALL K brand Koa ukuleles are rising steeply in price that's why i jumped on mine used at a reasonable price.

With your current one, it will sell in a heart beat then you will have one pretty much as good as it gets Kamaka Tenor.

Apologies but i'm guessing i'd think along the same lines as you and if the money was there the uke would be in shipping. Anyone looking to buy a Kamaka? :D

This is my main reason for considering one. I've loved the look and sound of the slotted headstock Kamakas I've seen, and viewed the D2I as my best shot at getting a custom.

I haven't looked at the cost, but it sounds like the D2I is "the one" for you. They're not common, so it could be "the one that got away" if you decide against it. The HF-3 will be available if you decide that you want another one, and I suspect that the anniversary models will frequently be showing up in the used market, too, since we've already seen some there. Unless the HF-3 that you have is really special to you, or the cost of the D2I is too much for you, it seems like the D2I might be the way to go.

But, easy for me to say, since it's not my money. LOL.

Last edited:
Sound wise, without hearing them, I think you have to assume that they would be similar or in other words, both outstanding.

The primary difference is cosmetic and only you can answer whether the $1,700 upgrade is worth it to you for the headstock, lighter wood, abalone, and binding. $3,095 is a lot of ukulele. If $1,700 is two months rent, I wouldn't do it. If you have the money and it is worth it to you, then why not? People spend their disposable income on all types of things, some trivial, some not. If it brings you joy, it's your money, do what you want is my belief.

I would pose the question this way: what would you regret more? Passing on the D2I and always wondering if you should have bought it; or regretting spending the extra $1,700 because you could have used the money for something else (toward a car, vacation, etc.) and your HF-3 was amazing and fine.

It's nice to have these types of problems...

Top Bottom