FS: PONO MANGO CONCERT UKE W/FACTORY P/U & hardshell case

hulaguy

Reaction score
I have the older, original version of the PONO spalted mango concert ukulele with factory installed pickup. The model on the label is PCM-E, and it is in flawless condition. I purchased it new at the Music Emporium in Belmont MA about 12 or 13 years ago. It has been played a total of 4 or 5 hours total. I'm a mandolin player, and thought it would be fun to try ukulele. Sadly it's been living in the closet since I bought it, and it needs a new home! I'm asking $550 shipped to the CONUS. This will make someone VERY happy. It looks amazing, and the built in pickup sounds awesome. A very sweet tone.

Pictures here

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0g5ON9t3O9nN8

Happy to take more pics of requested!

Kurt

I can't find a listing for that model, do you know if there's a current equivalent, or could you point me to a listing for it? It seems like you may have priced it a bit high. Maybe ukes have decreased in price since you bought it?

It looks like this:
https://acousticvibesmusic.com/products/sold-pono-pcm-concert-size-mango-wood-ukulele/
Although the wood on the one in this link looks a lot more figured.
and sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ta38UbRoY

He can ask what he wants for it. I would guess it was similar to the mango concert deluxe without the mango headstock veneer.
Which costs about $430 new w/o a pick-up and can be found here:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/pono-mgcd-mango-concert-deluxe.html

Last edited:
I own a Koa Pono from a similar vintage - this one, like mine, was built at a shop in Java, and they do not use that facility anymore. The Pono I have is of exceptional quality. Since these are no longer available and it is in excellent condition I would say the price is fair. If anyone wants to buy a new Pono mango they are certainly welcome to do so.

Pono mango concert uke

I can't find a listing for that model, do you know if there's a current equivalent, or could you point me to a listing for it? It seems like you may have priced it a bit high. Maybe ukes have decreased in price since you bought it?

It doesn't appear to be anywhere on the web anymore. I finally emailed a few places to determine a value. And yes, it is similar to the Ukulele Site version, but has the factory installed pickup and hardshell case. Those items added to the 440 asking price on their site would bring it in right around what I'm asking - plus the cost to pack and ship securely. As mine is quite a bit older than the current model, I'd like to think it has held it's value well. Considering the fact it is literally brand new, I don't think my price is unreasonably high for an instrument of this quality. As per Pueo's post above - it was built in Java, which no longer is the case for these instruments.

If someone is sincerely interested, I'm sure we can come to an agreement price-wise that is mutually satisfactory!

I also have a KoAloha I purchased around the same time I am hoping to sell. It too doesn't seem to exist anymore. It's a long neck soprano - all koa. The closest I can find is KoAloha's current version which appears to have a rosewood fretboard. I have emailed KoAloha for some help in identifying it, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Last edited:
I agree, he can ask what he wants. Thanks for the extra info, Johnson.

It looks like a nice instrument. I didn't mean to offend you, or anyone else, I just had a couple of questions, and you cleared that up. I think you should give uke another go, though, those are two very nice instruments.

I own a Koa Pono from a similar vintage - this one, like mine, was built at a shop in Java, and they do not use that facility anymore. The Pono I have is of exceptional quality. Since these are no longer available and it is in excellent condition I would say the price is fair. If anyone wants to buy a new Pono mango they are certainly welcome to do so.

Not to be argumentative or side-tracked, but I thought the Java shop was Pono's only shop. Their FAQs page noted that they had some Ponos made in China, but the location was too remote for their taste, so they only make Ponos in Java now. See: http://koolauukulele.com/pono-f-a-q/

Is that FAQ simply outdated?

I have noticed from pictures that Pono ukes now have a rosewood headstock overlay, which I found surprising since my MGT (mango tenor) has a mango headstock overlay.

I will say that my Pono is a lovely uke.

Fs: Pono mango concert - details in post!!

After much inout from other members of this forum, I received the definitive answer from John at PONO this morning. His reply is as follows:

Kurt, what you have has been renamed MGCD. Concert ukulele made of solid mango.
Current price, not including a case is a retail of $549, and most stores sell it for 20% below retail, so $439
again, this is without a case.
Then the pickup adds another $100 to $150
So you might have it priced a little high, but if it includes the case, pickup, and shipping, then it’s probably a good deal.
in other words, they can buy a new one, with the case and pickup and shipping for about $600
John

With this information in hand, I am asking $500.00 shipped for my copy of this outstanding uke. The condition is as-new, it has the above mentioned extras (and a beautiful mango headstock unlike the newer version) I believe this is a fair asking price. If anyone is interested, please let me know!

Thanks!

Kurt

Top Bottom