Fretboard question

mikebell48

Reaction score
The fretboard on one of my ukuleles appears to be jointed at the 12th fret. I've never seen or heard of a fretboard with the piece that overlaps the body being separate to the one covering the neck. I'm interested to know if this is something anyone else has come across.

Mike

Last edited:
I would be interested in seeing a picture of this. Is this a current ukulele made in the last 10 years or so. I have never seen a fretboard made up of two pieces, if that is what you are describing. It should not be built like that.

Mike, your question is not clear, at least to me. Do you mean the fret board is not contiguous? Is it cantilevered?
A picture would be helpful.

Steve, Please see my reply to DownUpDave. If I can get a decent photo I'll post it tomorrow. Without looking closely the fretboard looks like a normal one piece one. What looks to me like a definite joint has only recently started to show.

Sorry, I replied and it doesn't appear to have made it to you. I must have done something wrong. The uke is 18 months old. I've always thought the finish on the part of the fretboard over the body was slightly different to the rest. What looks clear to a joint has started to show through the finish on the lower edge of the fretboard below the 12th fret. The uke is a concert with 12 frets to the body. 16 frets in total. I'll try to photograph it but the apparent joint is only visible on the edge of the fretboard. It appears to be covered by the 12th fret wire. I'm already in dispute with the distributor over another fault.

You mean that there appears to be a joint going right through the fretboard at the 12 th fret? If so that would not be normal practice. Having said that it may not be anything to be unduly concerned about. If you think about it the string tension is trying to pull the two pieces together but that bit of metal called the 12 th fret isn't going to allow that to happen. If the fretboard was coming unglued from it's gluing surface that would be cause for concern.

Last edited:
I have seen fretboard extensions on guitars sawn through at the 12th or 14th fret during neck sets. Not something I would recommend, but not a serious flaw. I have never seen it on a ukulele.

What kind of ukulele? What brand, model, and size? I also agree that a picture would be helpful.

Top Bottom