Another Turquoise Rosette

sequoia

Reaction score
Did a second turquoise rosette this time on a spruce top. CA glued. A couple observations:

- The width of the turquoise (not including purfling) is about 1/8 inch wide or a little less than 4 mm. This I think is about as wide can be practically done. Two reasons: It takes a lot of turquoise and sanding it down becomes more of a factor. After sanding out with aggressive paper (80) on a big orbital sander, a lot of wood came off too. The thickness of the top there went from 12 mil to 10 mil creating a thinner area. Not a disaster, but is going to take some artful sanding to get things back to even. Still plenty of meat left.

- With the bigger chunks in the powder, there are some small voids after sand out. I considered filling them with some powder which would have been easy enough, however I kind of like the void look as it is more "stone like" and turquoise has these natural voids.

The pictures do not show the color well at all. It is much more blue "turquoise" color than shown. It almost looks jade like in the pictures. Much better in real life.

What I liked about cutting in the channels is that width is not critical like it is with shell or other precut inlays. Much quicker set-up. Depth is also not critical. I set it at about 4.5 mil just because. Could probably be shallower to save stone.

DSCN7327.jpg

Voids

DSCN7328.jpg

That looks pretty cool and sort of exotic. I wonder if anyone has tried marble dust or marble chips for a rosette in much the same application...

That looks pretty cool and sort of exotic. I wonder if anyone has tried marble dust or marble chips for a rosette in much the same application...

I've thought about that too. But I think once you grind marble up into a powder it is just going to look like sand and be white. Sand after all is just so much pulverized granite (marble). Also marble is HARD as in getting close to diamond. Would be a bitch to sand out... I did have another idea though; How about coral? It comes in some cool dark red colors and is soft enough to grind into a powder. Plus it would be so Hawaiian.

But coral won't be vegan anymore ;)

Very pretty.

Grain size makes a huge difference to sanding time. I did this the other night with quartz, granite and stalagmite then sanded it by hand:

AFehYhp.jpg

Seqouia I think it looks great and removes the issue of getting ab or the like perfectly cut.

Dan, where's your new ukulele post? Looks great from your photos in your signature!

I did have another idea though; How about coral? It comes in some cool dark red colors and is soft enough to grind into a powder. Plus it would be so Hawaiian.

That sounds like it would definitely be worth exploring.. I wonder what it would look like in different sized rings.. maybe graduated from big to smaller..or the other way... The turquoise is awesome by the way.. Ive always liked those colors.. I saw Hana lima do something with those colors to a cheap kit uke that really made it sizzle..
I think they did it on the purfling.. It might have been corian.. not sure..

I was looking for coral a year ago, seems it is not in in pet stores as it was when I was a kid. Mind you, the coral reefs were in better shape then. You could probably get bleached coral, not much for appearance though.

You're reinventing the wheel by grinding your own stone. This stuff works beautifully: http://www.inlaceonline.com/index.html. Easy to mix, sands well and looks great. I used it to make the uke pictured here.
View attachment 95716

Hey thanks for the link. I don't really see it as reinventing the wheel so much as maybe making the wheel myself. Actually I find grinding my own stone a pleasurable and simple process. Plus I have control over the process and I know I have the real stuff. Some of the pre-ground store bought stuff is either inferior or a synthetic. Now I'm not above using synthetics and use plenty of it (hello flurocarbon ukulele stings) so I'm not against synthetics. Below my simple grinder. Plus when you are hammering away you can get out your Ya-Ya's by thinking of political candidates you are not happy with if you get my meaning. It only takes me about 5 minutes to make enough rock powder to do two ukuleles so time is not an issue. Still, I'm not sure I'm completely sold on the look quite yet. Below is a picture of some fret position markers which I'm not sure I like. Still, it is different and I'm having fun.

DSCN7371.jpg DSCN7369.jpg

Those position dots might look better if they had a border around them. For example if you put some kind of hollow metal rod in and then filled it with your crushed rock. Just an idea (don't blame me if it ends up looking awful...)
Andy...

Couldn't find this kit on Stewmac. Are you telling us the tools are home made as well?
;)
Miguel

Actually Miguel, this kit is available at StewMac. It is called the "Krind-O-Matic" rock grinding tool and is offered at US $75.00 (shipping not included). All molybdenum tempered steel parts machined to close tolerances. Note: Hammer not included.

Silly me. I didn't realise they had a lapidiary section. That Dan Erlewine doesn't miss a thing, does he?
Miguel

Top Bottom