Which for Signatures? (also, Jake!)

Which for autographs?

• Total voters

OhioBelle

Reaction score
I'm going to a Jake concert tomorrow night! My best friend is taking me as an early birthday present. Can you think of a more perfect gift???

Since I'm a fangirl, I'd like to designate a uke as Signature-Uke. These are the two candidates:

1. My 50's Era Harmony Soprano with white plastic fretboard
2. My Purple Swirl Maccaferri Islander

Or should I use something else from my stable? Stop at Guitar Center on the way to the concert for a cheapie? Or no Signature-Uke at all? This same friend took me to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain last year, and I was wishing I'd brought one. Like I said - fangirl :drool:

I'm not a fan of signed instruments. I feel in many cases it distracts from the value in the open market. As much as I admire Jake, his is well known in our little community, but not as much in the world in general. Of course, if it's important to you, and the uke is an all time keeper.......sign away. Otherwise, have him sign a napkin or photo.

Last edited:
I am in the same camp as Steve about not getting my instruments signed. You said you wished you had done it before so don't miss this occasion. Go to Guitar Center and buy a spruce top Kala or something similar. The white spruce top will make a great canvas for signatures. This would now be your signature uke for future events

Steve and Dave, I'm kinda agreeing with you guys and not wanting to mess with the mojo of my cool retro ukes. I just now remembered a local music store that usually has a selection of cheapies, like Dolphins or Sharks. Just checked their website and they also carry Amahi. One of those could totally work, and then I could hang it on my office wall. And I'd be supporting a local shop vs. GC.

Jake signed my very first ukulele. Not a pricey one at all but still...Jake signed and played it. I was a brand-new player of 2 months. Aldrine signed my flea the first time I met him and now it means to much to me to part with and I'd really love to get rid of it but I can't.

If you bring an ukulele you play? Make sure it gets signed in an out of the way place. Otherwise you might wear it off.

Jake and Aldrine have both played my MB, but nobody signs it.

Good tip, Sukie! I know how prone Sharpie is to smudging. I put gold-Sharpie dots on the side of my Outdoor fretboard, which smeared off with the first playing. And it was the smudged Jim Beloff autograph on the top of the Fluke in the marketplace that turned me off it. Not necessarily his signature, but the smudge.

I haven't had much time to think about this, as I only found out today (was supposed to be a total surprise.) So I immediately thought of the inventory at hand. But I'm liking the idea of a purpose-bought cheapie more and more.

Thanks everyone, for the input so far!

P.S, Sukie - love the sound hole flamingo on your MB! I bet it's spectacular!

I like your support-a-local-shop cheapie signature ukulele idea.
The first ukulele I got, a Lanikai, eventually got be a drag to play because of poor intonation. It now collects signatures. I use a paint marker as the Sharpie smudges / fades. Wish I had thought of the paint marker sooner, there are some signatures like Rev. Dennis Kamakahi that I will not be able to replace.

Another vote to get signatures on a low price uke that looks good as wall art.
Although, it would be cool if it was vintage (pre 70's) uke.

I'm with you on my MB. If George Harrison was around I wouldn't let him sign.

I would have let George sign any of my possessions.

But, for Jake, I like the idea of a wall hanger uke that is just for signatures.
Or, if you would rather, buy one of his CDs and have him sign that. :)

I purchased a Kala thinline tenor that I no longer play. It has a spruce top so I have used that for autographs. First Jake, then Daniel Ho, George Kahumoku, Ledward Kaapana, Uncle Richard Ho'opi'i and others. works out nicely. I would never have my Kamaka's or KoAloha's signed. Oh, Pops KoAloha did sign my Star Spangled Banner and KoAlana.

Jake will pose for pictures if the theater allows it. I've had two taken with him over the years. Some theaters just want him to sit and sign autographs. The larger theaters are usually against having pictures taken as it takes too long.
I had one of the pictures with Jake on my wall in my classroom. My wife is Hawaii born Chinese and most of the kids knew her. They saw the picture of us with Jake and many thought he was our son!!!!!!
We're going to see him twice in a few weeks. He's at Mohegan Sun Wolf Den on Nov. 12 and Ridgefield Play House on the 13th. The Mohegan Sun show is free. You have to get in line early to get a table. Nice way to spend a weekend!

Incidentally, Jake is playing in Rochester, Minnesota on November 5th...2 days AFTER my birthday, so my wife (who has simply tolerated my ukulele interest) is coming with me to see him (it is about a two hour drive). 25 years ago, we had 30" of snow on Halloween in the Twin Cities (I was a college student at the time...and we had to cancel two evenings of "The Music Man" because of it). Jake was really risking it in coming to Minnesota at this time of the year! ;)

No dis-figuring of ukes for me! ;)

But if you want one, go ahead, with a cheapie, as you won't be playing but displaying it. :)

(I voted 'No Signature Uke'.)

Thanks to all for your suggestions (especially about the paint marker - now I have one more thing to buy today!) And also for the Jake stories. Tomorrow, I will have my own!

My signature ukulele is one I built from a cheap kit. I have it hanging on the wall it now has both Jakes signature and the UOGB digs. I can now admire it because I built it and it is a reminder of some pretty cool concerts I attended.

IMHO, a signature on a Uke kills the resale value.

Its like buying a house with a pool. Many people don't want one.

I had Jake sign one of his CD covers.

buy a white Dolphin or Shark for signatures...

how long does it take for the paint stick to dry?

I took my least expensive Kala for Jake to sign. At recommendation of someone else on this forum, I had him sign it on the body of the uke, not the front or back because that would eventually wear off. I had him sign in on the side so that as I'm holding it, I can look down and see his signature.

I took one of my wife's classroom Makala Dolphins for Jake to sign when I saw him in Cincy. I'm not much into autographed ukes, but she uses getting to play on "Jake's Uke" as a reward each day for the kid who listens best.

Top Bottom